• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Slyster

Garmin GPSMAP 76 question.

Question

Slyster

I have a Garmin 76 GPS unit (color/sensor version)... I am pretty good with computers and Mapsource software.. but for the life of me.. I can't figure out how to do (and save/restore) custom waypoint graphics.

I don't like any of the standard waypoint markers! There's SO many.. but no small red dots... thats all I want. A small red dot.

Anyone here use this (or similar Garmin unit) and got this to work?

14 answers to this question

Slyster

Figured it out! There's a couple of download updates both for the GPSMAP and also the MAPSOURCE software that will fix/enable custom waypoints! Excellent.

Ole #1

How do you download updates without erasing all the waypoints you already have stored?

Slyster

Upload them to your computer fist via USB cable/Mapsource software. If you don't have software or computer... not sure you can!

Slyster

Nope! Didn't do it. I am beginning to wonder if custom waypoints are only for the GPS and will not work with PC/Mapsource software. I will email their tech support and report back with what I find.

See.. I can make custom way points using Ximage.. upload them to the GPS.. use them IN the GPS.. but when I upload my waypoints to Mapsource.. they revert to standard Mapsource waypoints.. and when I download them back to the GPS.. they are not longer the custom.. but just little green dots that blend in with the water.

korn_fish

(Contact US Regarding This Word) - they do work. Got the same unit and did mine. I made custom waypoint symbols that to represent wood, rock, or humps for river fishing. Got em both in mapsource and on my handheld. I have a question into garmin right now about the waypoint descriptions in the "find waypoint by symbol" function. That function will show you your waypoints that you have marked with your custom waypoint, and shows that custom waypoint, but the description of the waypoint symbol is still generic instead of "fishing spot" or "city" like the base waypoint symbols.

Ximage allows you to customize the waypoints on your GPS unit. Once you have that done. You need to save the same bitmap file that you downloaded to your gps unit in the mapsource location for the custom waypoints. They should be in my documents\my garmin\Custom waypoint symbols.

ximage has the file name like Waypoint 001.bmp. You need to save that as 001.bmp in my documents\my garmin\Custom waypoint symbols to replace the original. Remember that image 001 in your handheld should be the same image as 001 in your mapsource.

then transfering back and forth should work. Basically, your handheld and mapsource do not transfer back and forth the images, just an indicator that says which waypoint symbol was attached. i.e. image 001.bmp. Transferring the waypoint symbol would take more system requirements and take longer.

There is one issue that I haven't contacted Garmin about yet, and that is that I can have more custom waypoints in mapsource than I can in my handheld. Apparently. But I haven't tried it yet.

korn_fish

OK, how come when ever I reply to you your name comes back as (contact us regarding this word) thingy?

Slyster

Tx Korn.. I will try this all tonight and get back to you if I have issues... I sure hope it works. I have successfully made custom icons using photoshop... and they ARE in the GPS.. but just don't work with Mapsource (6.5 latest version)...

I don't know why (Contact US Regarding This Word) always says "contact us..."... I HAVE contacted "them" a number of times, but they never responds or fix it. Stinks. I will try again... frown.gif

Slyster

Well.. I tried my best. No luck.

Here's the main problem. I can make new custom waypoints and upload them to the GPS no problem using Ximage... I see them in the GPS when I make a new waypoint.. and it works... But then... when I load in a map into mapsource.. or upload the GPS into Mapsource. They come across as generic points. If I try to change "waypoint properties" in Mapsource... there are TONS of waypoint graphics.. but not mention of custom.. and no custom catagory.

SO... I try uploading the GPS (with custom waypoints showing on the GPS screen) into Mapsource.. and they show up as generic dots on my PC. And when I download them to the GPS again.. they are NOT the custom waypoint symbols like they were.. but just generic green TINY dots.

What the heck? I am a computer techy and I can't figure this out! frown.gif

Where is there any mention/utility in Mapsource for custom waypoints? There is no mention or displaying them anywhere! Only all those crazy tourist type symbols (hundreds of them it seems).. but no custom catagory... ?

And what is it with the "Link/URL" at the bottom of the Waypoint Properties window? I can't figure that out? I tried browsing to my custom waypoints there to no avail.

Geeze.. you would think this would be easier. frown.gif

My Mapsource PC Software "waypoint properties" shows the follow waypont catagories...

1- Outdoor

2- Transportation

3- Buisness

4- Marker

5- Civil

6- Marine

7- Aviation

8- Navigation Aid

9- Contacts

10- Letter

11- Number

But NO where is to be found "custom" like that is show on the actual GPS units screen.

???

korn_fish

Sly -

I'll email you this morning after I get into work and have access to my mapsource software and look at it again. So are you sayint that there are no bitmap images in "my documents\my garmin\custom waypoints\?\" ??

Which upgrades have you done? What is the current mapsource version you are running? 6.5??

Slyster

I do have all those custom waypoints in /my garmin.. and ximages sees them.. they even upload to my GPS (via Ximage) no problem! It's just the mapsource/GPS connection where things get lost.. no services for "custom waypoints" in mapsource. I am updated on all patches and updates.. GPS/Ximages/Mapsource.

Thanks for helping out.

korn_fish

Sly -

What other mapsource software do you have? I have the fishing hotspots central version and Canada TOPO software also installed. I wonder if the custom waypoint capability is enabled when the additional software is installed.

What are you up to this weekend? I'm curious on this and we could meet up to get it resolved. I have everything on my laptop so I could bring that and all the different mapsource CD's and try to figure it all out.

Im in the process of getting some screen shots for you and will email them to you. Maybe we can figure it out that way. But I am starting to lean towards the fact that one of my additional mapsource products enabled the custom waypoint category.

Frustrating!!!!! But worth it smile.gif

Slyster

My products are similar (same?) to yours. I have N. American Topo.. Fishing Hotspots (central). Send those screenies and I will work again tonight.

my email is pete.2@sly_ster.com (take out the "_")

Slyster

Ah ha! Got your email (I can't reply from work).. and that's IT! You have a custom section which I don't have. smile.gif Tx! I'll figure it out tonight.. maybe I should simply remove and reinstall all the software.

Maybe it's how I installed it? I did it in a way so I don't have to use the actual CD's anymore (just by copying them first to my HD then running setup from the HD).. might be it.

I will do the regular (from the Garmin CD's) install. I don't think it makes you put in the CD each time for the fishing maps anyway (that's all I use unless I travel off the maps)

Appreciate the help.. I'll let you know if I get it.

Slyster

PROBLEM SOVLED. I will explain it here to perhaps help someone in the future. My setup was just fine from the start. Its all about file names.

In my "document/my garmin/custom waypoints".. Ximage put in the custom waypoints from the GPS unit.. and the files are named "Custom Waypoint 000.bmp" etc...

Now- Mapsource doesn't recognize these files so they don't show up in Mapsource! Now.. copy them and rename to 000.bmp, 001.bmp etc... and now mapsource sees them!

SO... first download them from the GPS... make your alterations using paint shop or whatever (knowing that the edge pink color is transparent) and when all done.. COPY them and rename the copies 000,001,002 etc. You must have duplicates of each.. both called "Custom Waypoint 000.bmp" and "000.bmp" in that folder for both units (and xImage) to see them and use them.

Works fine now. Can't imagine why they make it so complicated.. and certainly nothing in documentation about this.