• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka Panfish

Rather that fight the crowds at Red Wing I headed out for crappie on Tonka. Had the lake to myself Friday and Sat. Water temps 48 in the main lake protected bays were 51. Nothing in shallow bays yet. Too windy to fish the main basins but fish were holding on the weedline breaks. Look for shoreline rock and some current and the fish will be there. Nothing over 9" - big females are still hiding - but it was almost a fish every cast. It's a sunset bite and it didn't quit - I gave up at 11pm each night.

Quote:

I'm looking for a place to go this weekend, could you drop me a mail with some general directions?

Email's

Have you tried Orchard yet, like buzzsaw recomended?

Last time we went out there, my dad didn't put hte plug in, we have a battery compartment inbetween the consoles, that was full! Interesting time there. Could i get some general info on the lake? Like what kind of structure, lures, etc.?

So does that mean the whole lake is open? I either use Maxwell launch or Grays bay. Also do they by chance know when the docks will be in? I have a few spots that I can't wait to try this year. I'm surprised there aren't more posts on Tonka crappies. I'm hoping to go Fri and I'll post my results.

How should i hit this lake? I haven't really fished it before. How did you guys start fishing a lake this big? I have navigational aids (map, GPS, depthfinder) and was wondering how I should attack this lake, as I don't want to spend my whole summer on here asking others where they caught there fish.

Tyler, on a big lake like Tonka pick a bay and work it... read the lake maps and find the points and breaks.. structure. You'll be looking for Sunnies and Crappies so If I were you I would go straight to Black lake on Tonka and work the shoreline... and the reeds in the channels around Black lake and Emerald Lake, this is a dark bottomed muddy area that warms up early in the spring and the Crappies are historically bunched up pretty good in here chowing on the zooplankton. You could also try the channel that runs between Big Island.. there are some downed trees in there that have produced in past springs. If they are not there, don't stay! Keep moving as you only have so much time on the drink. A general rule of thumb is that the Northern side of a bay will warm up sooner and that should be were you'll have better luck fishing spring crappies. Tonka has a Crappie contest every year that is sponsered by Gander Mtn - this years event takes place on April 23rd... it's a great event and the weigh in is at Fletchers... I'll be drinking Bloody Mary's by Noonish at Fletchers, so if anybody else is heading out lets say Hello. I started a thread under the "Tournaments" page for the lake Minnetonka crappie contest, check it out as it has all the details.

Tyler, just follow Buzzsaw's advice about Black Lake - put in at Spring Park and you're fishing inside 5 minutes. Can move out from there into Priest's - couple of bays there that hold spring crappies. And if you still haven't made contact move into Halsted's either the U right across from the channel or back by the public launch/Six Mile creek. Last place in Halsted's is the old public launch on the south side of the point. That will keep you busy. If you are out towards dark don't forget to hit the channel mouths especially if there are overhead lights. Maybe some guys who fish North Arm alot will chime in here. Tonka is too big to hit it all. Just pick an area and learn it and then add another area. I haven't been west of the narrows channel in five years - still getting to know the west end. It's a process.

Speaking of channels, I'll say this much more..... Narrows by the light on the rocks = Walleyes! grin.gif

Mark, Are you taking part in the Crappie contest on Tonka?

We were out Sunday and did pretty well in Black, Seton and Emerald. The crappies aren't in there in huge numbers yet but there were enough to keep it interesting and the sunnies were all over the place.

We didn't get anything back in North Arm but we usually do pretty good a little later after the water warms up some.

We launched at Maxwell and the last spot we fished was the little weedline just north of the bridge that leads into North Arm. We only caught a handful of crappies there but they ran a little bigger, 7-8" versus the 5-6" ones back in Seton and Black.

Out last night - not much doing in Seton/Black/Emerald until dark. Then it was nonstop. About a dozen crappies in the 9" to 10" range twice as many little guys - and I do mean guys not a female in the bunch. Flu Flu tipped with either a minnow or some pink Gulp - Gulp got most of the bigger fish. Water temps at 51, main lake was 48 for those who care.

Buzzsaw, I don't fish contests/tournaments. I'll be out there that day but for some reason I am not a contest kinda guy. Probably has to do with my nature - I tend to switch target species on a whim. As for the walleye and channels well let's just say I wouldn't be upset if one happened to hit my crappie jig grin.gif I mean I have been catching crappies in some well known walleye spots so I could maybe perhaps stick a walleye before the opener sorta on accident. Been known to happen. Big bass too!

Gander Mountain Crappie Contest

Get a jump start on the fishing season at the 37th annual Gander Mountain Crappie Contest! Join KFAN, Minnkota, Ranger Boats and The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in the fight against blood cancers by taking part in the contest on April 23rd...

The event takes place at Lord Fletcher's on Lake Minnetonka, with a silent auction and hourly drawings from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fishing can begin at 12:01 a.m. with the final weigh-in before 2 p.m. that day.

There are great prizes to be won! Your contest registration ticket automatically enters you into the grand prize drawing for a guided fishing dream trip for two. The trip is guided by World Champion Wally Marshall on beautiful Lake Fork, TX. Other prizes awarded for crappies include outboard and trolling motors, and a Lund fishing boat.

Bring your family! There are special junior division prizes for children ages 12 and under, plus a free tackle pack giveaway.

To register or for more information, visit one of the eight Gander Mountain locations. Stores are located in Maplewood, Bloomington, Lakeville, Forest Lake, Fridley, Maple Grove, Minnetonka, St. Cloud and Woodbury. Go to www.gandermountain.com for store directions.

Sponsors include:

Nelson Marine

HomStar USA

Park Printing

Holiday Stationstores

Marcum Technologies

Plano

Shimano

Rapala

Yamaha Outboards

Heading out there tomorrow with my 2 1/2 year old son. Hoping to find some crappie's to keep him entertained so he doesn't want to play see what floats and what sinks. Usually put in a Greys bay, anyone been catching them in Wayzata bay yet, or would Peevy Lake be a better try?

Tried Peevy yesterday 58* water kinda green and no fish. A couple years ago we did real good in there but the last couple been kinda hard seems the fish do not like it in there any more or I am just to late. The main lake was 48-49 some of the back waters 58.5. Found some dandy 3-4lb bass in 2 feet of water looking for crappie.

I was in Wayzata bay on thursday. Started at 9:30am. I fished a weed line on the east side (in front of a huge home being constructed or added onto). Very calm there with the east wind. Water temp was 51. Just fished the weed line and just inside it and caught 7 crappies. (Released 5). I then went to the beach by the marina and with the wind blowing in there the water temp was 54. Caught 6 more (released 4) in a short time and had to go. 5 feet of water. There were two other boats also catching fish. Nothing huge but nice eaters.

I am still having success after sunset - the crappies are feeding big time after dark. Starting to see a little more action before sunset hours. WIth the bass roaming the shallows it won't be long before the big crappies join them. I suggest trying around the Gray's Bay bridge after dark. Current and light and rocks equal a good night time bite.

It's good to know that crappies can be had in Wayzata bay. I live close to the Grays bay launch, and am beginning to think it unnecessary to go too far to fish the popular, trendy crappie spots on Tonka. I find it hard to believe that crappies would be in some bays and not others. Tonka has a ton of water and a ton of fish. I'll bet you can find them in any bay if you just set your mind to it and search 'em out. The trick is to find the locations and times where active fish are in the inconspicuous, "not so trendy" spots. cool.gif

I'm the same...It would have to be a pretty strong rumor to get me to go someplace other than the convenient near spot (which at the moment is Wayzata bay, despite the fact that I've only been catching a few.) Fishing the same area, rather than chasing around, gives me the sense that I know what's happening and the feeling that I will be able to find fish most of the time. Plus, I feel that Wayzata and Brown's bay consistently produce bigger fish--crappies, bass, walleyes, and muskies so far.

ice

ice

Ice9,

Hey, you still boatless? You'll have to come out with me sometime in my "crappie" boat, if that's still the case. Then you can tell me how you hooked up with all those awesome walleyes in Wayzata bay last fall!!!

Was out there from 12:30 to 3:30 today. NO FISH. Tried Wayzata bay, near the house under construction and tried near the docks (by the beach) in Deephaven. Might have to give it a try closer to dusk. Still a nice day, but the the windburn and sore arm form casting the Mickey Mouse rod for three hours.

There was a fair bite on the Wayzata docks yesterday...a few bigger fish came in, still mostly small. Lots of lulls and at least one muskie cruising the dock in plain view.

Calvinist, you're on. I'll tell you all I know, no guarantees on value. At the moment I'm shorebound so a boatride would be fun. I have short windows of opportunity with the new baby, but would love to try some panfishing. I'm at [email protected]

ice

I'll be out there Sunday morning from 7-12 fishing with 3 other guys in my boat. If any of you are in the Grays Bay/Wayzata Bay area around 7:00 AM we can say hello. We will be heading over to Black Lake and that general area.

Ice9,

I forgot my phone and e-mail on the message I sent you. I can't access e-mails at work, so I'll do send those when I get home tonight cool.gif.

All I can say is if any of you could have followed me and my friends through the fog, you would have seen us nailing Crappies at the HONEY HOLE BABY! The largest was 13 inches, then a 12 1/2, then a bunch of 9,10 inch fish. We threw back alot of fish guys and kept our share as well. Dinner was good last night! Of course those pesky bass and pike were also nailing out flu flus tipped w/minnows... thats always fun on the ultralight... a quick release and a guarantee that they will bite again on opener and we were off catching more Crappies. grin.gif

The crappie bite was a little tough over the weekend. Catch a few and move on type of fishing. However the bass had the feedbag on. Also had a 28" northern grab my slip float. Used to sunnies hitting a float but this northern just smashed it. Not wanting to lose the float I opened the bail and waited a minute figuring it would spit it out. Nope. Got on the trolling motor and followed the pike around a bit. Eventually it spit the float but managed to get lassoed by my line. What a zoo. Finally netted the fish and untangled the mess. Berkley Transition is one tough line grin.gif Hopefully tonight the bite will be back.

We didn't get out until afternoon and our "old faithful" spots weren't worth squat. Couldn't find a crappie. My ten year-old daughter did manage a 5-6 lb dogfish. Biggest one I have ever seen up close. My son and wife each got a 4-5 northern on a flu-flu jig and waxworm. I just took off sunnies, rebaited hooks and drove the boat. Well, there's always the crappie contest next Saturday.

Buzz, That's what I'm after... Good job! I tried a few spots around Wayzata bay last night, with nothing really to show. Then I went to a spot that has been producing for me lately after dark, and did ok there, Not huge numbers or size, a few keepers...better than nothing at all. Hopefully i'll hit the jackpot soon.

I'll tell you what Calvinist, shoot me an e-mail at mikelentz at frontiernet.net I'm taking part in the Crappie contest next weekend, but after that I'll give up "the spot" to a guy that posts as much info as you do! grin.gif There are a few guys on the FM site that I'd really like to meet.... Tonkaboy is another that shares alot!

Thanks Buzz! That's very cool of you to do that. I have that whole week off after the contest, so hopefully I'll find some slabs. I really don't know Tonka as well as you think. I am just starting to get the hang of Tonka, as I have only been fishing it for about a little over 2 years now. You're right about Tonka Boy though; he has a solid lock on Tonka, and he does share alot, (not to mention, big fish follow him wherever he goes ooo.gif) so thanks Tonka Boy! As much as I would like to, I have to miss the crappie contest on Tonka because I have to work:(. That's the second year in a row that's happened to me mad.gif! Oh well, maybe next year. I'll e-mail you tonight.