• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FM Mille Lacs Walleye contest - July 10th

Crossin' Eyes

Hello all.
It's been decided that we will have a FishingMinnesota.com members and friends walleye contest on Mille Lacs lake on July 10th. $20 per team will be thrown into a pot and cash prizes will be awarded to the top 5 teams. An optional $5 Big Fish Pot will also be available for interested teams. Take off and weigh in will be at the Cove Bay access on the southwest end of the lake. Everyone is invited, and please feel free to bring a friend even if they aren't FM members. Hopefully we'll show them a good enough time that they will be begging to join.
There is, however, a little legal mumbo jumbo with the DNR that we have to work around. Minnesota DNR requires that if there are more than 30 participants (15 teams of 2) that an application must be filed and approved by the Minnesota DNR. To avoid that hassle, here's what we've decided to do...
When/if 15 teams have signed up, we will start a second flight that will have their own separate weigh in time, results and payouts that will mirror the first flight.
If the second flight doesn't have a full field of 15, then payouts will be reduced accordingly.
One of the things that will help our organization greatly is to know exactly who will be there.
Let this post also serve as a sign up sheet for all interested parties.

Good Luck to all! Let the games begin!

Team #1 Mike Lee and Jon Navratil

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ole1855

• Chad711

• Mayfly

• Crossin' Eyes

Count me in.

Team #2 - Bob Barton & Duane Austing

Sorry guys, would like to, but the Red Door tournament is that weekend.

Since Im new to this......what constitutes an FMer? Because me and my 14 year old son are very interested in the contest?

I though more would be signing on.....where is everyone??

Maybe this should be posted in a few other forums??

I'll be there if I get fully recooperated from a surgery I had on 6-18.

Sign me up, Ole1855 and my buddy Sud's

Ole

cross

Whens the deadline to sighn up?

Were headed to Alaska a couple days after this tourny...So i'll ask a couple relatives and friends tonite if interested...Might be a little to close from are exit date..Oh and 1 other thing no age limit correct?

[This message has been edited by eyesontonka (edited 06-27-2004).]

I think ill fish it, not sure if I want to waste all the gas to fly down to cove then all the way back up to all my fishing spots.

Brian Montroy.....Paul Heigel

Yes....Walleyes only.

If anyone wants to fish but can't find a partner I may be interested. My partner may back out on me.

There is no specific deadline for sign-up. We just want an idea how many teams there are going to be, so we know if we will be running one or two 15 team contests. If you didn't read my first post, we need a special permit if there will be more than 30 total participants. So we decided that if we get more than 15 2-man teams to sign up, we'll just do a second contest with a 30 minute later take-off and 30 minute later weigh in.
Yes, Walleyes only.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Eyes- (and everyone else)
Just so everone understands...We ARE NOT getting a permit from the DNR. Frankly, we don't want to go through the hassle just to have a fun little get together.
We are going to have 15 teams per contest(flight) assuming that's how many show up.
There is no age limit. The more the merrier. Money WILL NOT be collected in advance. You show up, you pay. It's that simple. Payouts will be based on how many teams show up. If we have 15 teams or less, there will be just one flight and one pay out. If we have more than 15 teams we will have a second flight and therefore a second payout. This is all very informal. It will be a great way to meet some of your on-line FM buddies and have a great time!
Payouts regardless of # of entries will be..
1st place - 45% of the pot.
2nd place - 25%
3rd place - 15%
4th place - 10%
5th place - 5%

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Cross

Yes we read it...should have stated when asking about the dead line...thats 1 of the reason we asked so we knew inadvance how long you needed to get a second permit if needed...

everyone is fishing on pond today i'm headed up tonight..will try and post by wed night 1 way or another...

would anyone have a problem if we said yes..payed the fee and were not able to show up...Dumb ? but 1 never knows unless you had 16 or 17 teams that plays a factor i would guess... we could pay a staff member in are neck of the woods .. if that was ok since we live aways from pond..

1 other thing we had asked about was age...we have a couple teens we need to spend some time with prior to are Alaskan trip ..so is age a factor?

[This message has been edited by eyesontonka (edited 06-28-2004).]

This is going to sound like a stupid question, especially since I think I know the answer already anyway. Since you are only going to be targeting slot fish, is a livewell necesarry? I have a boat that is not equipted with one but would like to join in on the fun. Only problem is, cant put back a walleye that has been either on ice, or a stringer!

Let me know, maybe I can talk a friend with a newer boat into going if not.

Thanks,

Whitebearlakeguy

I just saw this tonight, I think I will be able to makle this. I have been waiting to try Mille Lacs so this would be a perfect occasion.

Hope to see you all there, Ill be in a 04 16' Lund Explorer (Black) with a 50 horse Yamaha. Pulled by a Tan Ford Ranger...

I was thinking that a one person limit should work for weigh in. You can obviously keep more if there are two people in the boat.

This is what I had posted on another thread...

Something like 7:00am til 4:00pm. Mike and I will stick around at the access til 7:30 for any late arrivals (we are planning on fishing too) and we will be back in by 3:00pm. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

Reminder from the Dnr site:

Expanded walleye slot limit on Mille Lacs

May 15, 2004: Anglers may keep walleye up to 20 inches, with one trophy over 28 inches in the four fish limit. All walleye from 20 to 28 inches must be released.

July 15, 2004: Anglers may keep walleye up to 22 inches, with one trophy over 28 inches in the four fish limit. All walleye from 22 to 28 inches must be released.

December 1, 2004: The slot will revert to four walleye up to 20 inches with one over 28 inches in the four fish limit.

I'm interested but I'm waiting to see if a co-worker is able to get his fathers boat.

Otherwise I may not be able to...Unless someone has a boat and is looking for a partner.

Will upadate later today or tomorrow.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but do I have to have a live well to fish in it? I know you said this is pretty informal that's the only reason I'm asking.

Thanks,

Whitebearlakeguy

IM in the same boat as white bear, my livewell pump just went out last month and I havent replaced it yet, since all the walleyes I catch in the tourney in the slot im keeping anyways do the walleyes need to be alive? I can still fill up my livewell but I have to use a bucket and if theres a few walleyes in there its hard to keep them alive. I dont think there would be a problem with people cheating since this is a "fun" tourney.

Hey White Bear and Rooster.
Walleyes in a cooler or on a stringer are fine as long as they are legal. Your boat will be checked before takeoff anyway, so no worries.
2 man teams can have up to 8 legal walleyes in posession and you will weigh your best 4.
Excellent questions.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Looks like we will be up there! Got the boat running on Thursday, Going to fish Sunday-Tuesday this week. Should be out next week as well. See you all there!

Charles

If anyone wants to go and needs a seat, my partner has a reunion and cant make it. Email me at Chad711@paulbunyan,net if you would like to take his place. I am in Bemidji FYI.

Thanks Chad

Mr. WHITEBEARLAKEGUY AND ALL FM'ERS

You can not put any fish back in the water after it has been on a stringer or in a live well that is called culling and in Minnesota it is a no culling state.
Welcome to Minnesota where nothing is aloud.