• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Orchard Lake

I live near there, and may try it tomorrow, anyone have any info on it? (the one in Dakota County)

I was out on Saturday breaking in my new motor, no fishing stories to share yet but I can tell you that it has been a productive all around lake for me in the past!

P.S. I live on the back corner of the lake

Orchard Lake has to be one of my favorite lakes in the Metro. It has one of the best Bass populations of any metro lake for its size. There is also a good Northern population due to STRICT Northern regs but I have yet to hook into one. Some nice crappies too if you know where to find them.

Theres nothing like having a 3lb bass rip off line off an ultralight with 4lb test and a crappie minnow, I get it all the time fishing there early season smile.gif But there are some decent Crappies in there too. Theres some Hybrid sunfish in there that can be fairly decent, though most of the bluegill are stunted.

hey could you drop me a email, ive figured about 2-3 spots, and was wondering of you could give me some input on them.

emails [email protected]

well went out from about 10:30 to 1:30, tryed the two reed beds by/in the north bay, and trolled the north bay, then went over and worked the rock pile, nothing at the pile, but at the reeds caught a 30 in muskie! First ever, and no camera! Caught it off a beetle spin too! I 1/16 or 1/8 i forget, black and orange, no spinner, caught it on a ultralight too!

well went out, tryed the two reed beds by/in the north bay, and trolled the north bay, then went over and worked the rock pile, nothing at the pile, but at the reeds caught a 30 in muskie! First ever, and no camera! Caught it off a beetle spin too! I 1/16 or 1/8 i forget, black and orange, no spinner, caught it on a ultralight too!

Nice job on the 30" Tiger!!!!! I fish Orchard lot during the summer/fall period for muskies. Alot of nice fish in there. I will be out there on Tuesday afternoon looking for some crappies.

Brian Muskieschaef

thanks, i was suprised, since i didn't know they were in there. Im curious, other then the 2 reed beds and the rock pile, what are some spots? I don't want to know for fishing, im just curious what other spots this lake has

Thats the fun of it all, looking over a map and figuring out what looks good... then figure in the weather ie.. if it's windy, go fish the shoreline were the water is blowing up to...you see baitfish can get blown up and the predator fish know this and will come. Your obviously fishing for Crappies and panfish so try the shallow muddy bottomed area's and if they're not shallow then work out towards deeper water. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity... just use your noggin. tongue.gif

also, i have a book (7 years old, holly cow! just realized that) and it says the visibilty is 12 feet! I went oout and saw maybe 4! is this due to turnover, or is my book inaccurate?

The DNR website says the water clarity is 8.75ft. That surprised me. I've never thought it was that clear. The south side near the public launch gets a little weed choked latter in the year.

I live just a few blocks away from Orchard, but have only fished it a few times. I'm not sure why, but I'll have to change that this year.

Buzz- I'll have to hook up with you out there sometime...

We will absolutely hook up! You live a few blocks away from the lake an I live a 9 iron away. I 'm going to try and get out there Sunday morning for a bit to target some Crappies.

Hey Buzz- My weekends are all booked up until the opener. I'm coaching my youngest son's AAU basketball team and we have tournaments every weekend.

My new boat should be ready to be picked up either Friday or Monday......I can't wait!

Have fun on Sunday! Leave a few fish for the rest of us!

You'll love your new boat! I'm still working on the breakin miles on mine.

I'll give you a report of how I do.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.