• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HOW MUCH ICE IN ON THE POINT? ANYTHING GOING ON IN THE RIVERS? ANYONE BEEN OUT? LOOKIN FOR SOME REPORTS.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Surface Tension

• wazzup

• cybermuskie

I was out friday, quite a bit of ice along the shore minnesota to wisconsin point. Its gonna have to get pushed out first. Fished for 'pout in the st.louis, one I cleaned had six smelt and a ruffe in its stomach so they are coming in.

Hey Biff,hope you don't mind me asking but where were you fishing for the pout at.I know that the better pout holes are closely guarded family secretes so I'll understand if you don't want to give out the spot. grin.gif

I went ahead and tried a few pulls tonight just to check things out, harbor side of course since there is ice on the lake side. I was with a friend new to it, so I was pretty much trying to teach him all of the techniques, mainly a practice night. Managed very few little males, they will be my Monday morning breakfast. grin.gif

smallsmelt.JPG

Looks like a couple smelt but there looks to be a few shiners in there too blush.gif

Jar Jar

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Can't really tell from the pic but it does look like shiners. How'd they taste? grin.gif

Judging from the drain in the sink, maybe 4" in diamater, those are either the smallest smelt on reocrd or they are some of the best shiners I've ever seen. Congrats on a great catch!

Pout-slayer...Down in the lower harbor area in the deep channels, and I am talking right on the bottom of the channel in the deepest water. I think when they are done spawning they group up in the channel before heading out into superior. The ice can still be a pain as it moves in and out. It is kind of nice after steelhead/looper fishing (almost) elbow to elbow to go out and have the river all to yourself.

Those do look like shiners, maybe the smelt are still hanging deep and havent really penetrated the shallows yet. Those shiners would make some great bait though.

Where did you make those pulls? Behind the beachhouse section of the point? Those kinda do look like shiners, but I've heard that some people do good for smelt in there- I've only ever tried off the lake side of the point. I think we're gonna have to wait a bit yet before smelting picks up. There's a lot of ice on the point, although the strong winds today should help break it up. Hopefully we'll only have to wait until Cheffrey's Coho Cleanup to get some smelt. That shouldn't be too bad, the steelhead are starting to come in... grin.gif

doh*! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Yeah i guess you can just disregard this post, im an (Contact US Regarding This Word). I don't have a good memory.

With this rain is it having any effect on the lake temp? Thinking about coming up Friday night after work to give it a go, anybody seeing or getting anything....other than shiners smile.gifhaha

Keep an eye on the wind forecasts. We've had a strong northeaster blowing for the past 3 or 4 days. Its doing a fine job of crushing up all the ice along the shoreline, but if it continues, there'll be no pulling for you. Keep an eye on this thread though, it shouldn't be too long. Rain will probably raise the surface temp a bit, but with the big waves crashing, that water is quickly mixed in with the real cold stuff, so I think in the end it won't ammount to much. If things calm down, you might be able to get a few friday though, it'll be worth a try at the very least. Just make sure you get a positive ID on your smelt before you chow down on them blush.gif

Just kidding shogun smirk.gif

Ill be back in a few days and will have the Christianson net ready in no time. Come on warm water. Well it wont be nearly as warm as here in Mexico! cool.gif See ya all on Wed.

What is the limit on dem dar things, they sure look yummy grin.gif

Boy shogun, you are really taking a lot of heat, one little mistake and these guys jump all over you. Must be a slow time with not much fishing going on.

By the way are shiners any good? You may have hit on something - LOL.

Humors where you find it, yeah, it is that weirdness between seasons...bored I guess.

Ya must of had to tip dem lil buggers upside down, to tell if dey were males ?

has anybody been out recently ? I see the water temp. is 43.1 deg. at 6:30pm on 4/13/05 . I hear that the smelt run at 42 - 46 deg. does anybody know how true this is ? I plan on going to duluth thurs. or fri. looking for more info . anybody been to grind stone yet? looking for any info out there please .

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

wazzup, welcome to FM.

I heard Seversons just started to put nets out in the bay.

With our warmer them average temps things are a little ahead of schedual around here but I think its still a bit early for the rivers.

Well I think I'm heading up Fri evening regardless, it'll be the only shot I get due to the boys baseball schedule coming up so I guess it'll be a bit of a hit or miss deal.

im coming up this weekend lookin for steelhead and wondering if its worth bringing up the sein net to try the point and if any body knows where they sell pretty good seins please give me the location and price if possible.

Ice on Park Point at this point. Wi. Point is open to pull.

I'm pretty sure this question was asked before but I couldn't find it, so sorry if I am asking again, but do you need a wisconsin angling license to smelt on the wisconsin point? or is a Minnesota license okay for seining there? confused.gif

Buckkiller,

Try http://www.christiansennets.com. They're on Arnold in Duluth. About $75-$80 for a 25' seine and you'll need to pick up some poles. They're about 100x nicer than the Frabill seines (worth the extra $). DNR buys a lot of nets from these guys.

Yes you need a WI. License to smelt on Wi. Point. Worth it cuz then you can troll Wi. waters for eyes, Lakers etc. in the summer time. Lots of nice fish close to the Wi. entry.

Went to grind stone last night got 5 gallon bucket full of smelt there running may go again tonight . Let every body know what happens. Good Luck .