• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
wellsupplyguy

conceal & carry permits

wellsupplyguy

Has anyone heard were this stands in the courts?I thought that since they were back in session that something would happen.

Double D

The last I heard the State Appeals Court had it. This was maybe a month or two ago and could have moved up by now. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the state legislature won't touch it again until it's through the courts.

DD

irvingdog

It goes before the Judiciary committee on April 12th.

Double D

Well, I guess it got upheld by the Appeals Court, according to yesterdays paper.

Supreme Court next, and I bet they will also uphold it. That may be all she wrote, because I don't think this legislature will have time to get it passed again this year and they won't have the votes to do it next year.

Just my opinion.

DD

Benny

There will be a new legeslation started soon to fix the wording, but it had to play out this way to change anything.

At least that is the way it was explained to me.

Benny

wellsupplyguy

Wasnt the reason for it being repealed,because it was attatched to another bill that had nothing to di with it in the first place ,and if so arent there alot of bills that have already been passed in jeporday of the same fate?

magnumthunder

Sad thing is I paid $125 for the course and they will probably drag it out till after the 1 years time for me. I really doubt the state will give me a refund,or a free refresher course or extend my time for that.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns!!

Benny

The origanal appeale was because the churchs didn't want the weapons even in thier parking lots, the law said you could store the weapon in your car at a place where they were not allowed.So these tree hugging gun fearing churchs thought they would get it appealed based on that alone.

But the judges are the ones who said it was attatched to a bill that was not related so they said it was an illegal

bill.

You are right in the fact that many other bills get passed this same way, it just happened to be this one that the law system decided to attack.

Always keep in mind those who fear your guns are those with the most power to control your destany.

Benny

DrKen

What happened is the churches got their shorts in a bunch over the law. Their attorneys (Tom Lillehaug, lead) looked for anyway to defeat the law in court and the only approach they could make was to challenge the law under the provision in the Minnesota Constitution that states that all bills have to be single related issues. This provision has been loosely interpreted during the past and seldom challenged. A judge cannot rule on whether a law is constitutional until it is challenged. Thus, the concept of the law was not declared unconstitutional but the way it was passed was. This ruling will certainly go the supreme court for reasons other than conceal/carry because many bills are passed with similar amendments/addons. If the ruling stands there are many laws that are going to be challenged. Thus this ruling has far-reaching consequences and will be significant in Minnesota law for many reasons. The results of conceal/carry for the past couple of years has not proven to be the unlimited warfare that the anti's forecast. This will help in the legislative process for a new single issue bill. It has not been the legal conceal/carry individuals doing the shooting in the papers but the criminals. Contact your legislators on the new bill. It does have a great effect on how they vote. Always be respectful and remember how they voted in the next election.

Benny

Thanhs for clearing up the issue,I knew it was not just the churchs idea to go after the bill the way they wanted to.

Even the last appeals court justice said it had nothing to do with the churchs claim!

Benny

wellsupplyguy

then in other words if this is not overturned it will raise holy hell with alot of bills that have been passed already in this fashion , and im sure both sides of the road areor should be worried about this !

DrKen

That's right. A favorite way to get a unpopular measure passed is to attach it to a bill that is sure to pass for other reasons. Bargaining between legislators results in the amendment or attachment being left in and in thus legislators who normally would vote against the attachment would vote for it. What is now going to happen is that they will have to be more careful on what they attach it too. Tom Lillehaug (lead attorney for the churches) was on WCCO yesterday(shelby show) and stated the supreme court warned the legislature a few years ago about this. He expected the supreme court to uphold the lower courts decisions and I believe he will be correct in this. While the conceal/carry issue was what sparked this challenge the legal issue has now taken primacy in the appeals. This legal challenge while definitely a attack on conceal/carry has taken on a much larger role due to the constitutional issue used to attack it. The fact is the "shall issue" bills had been defeated( narrowly) the previous session and the sponsors attached it to the DNR bill to get it passed. Now, with the conceal/carry provisions in for the past couple of years and the nearly total lack of adverse affects, we should stand a much better chance of getting a properly passed law on the books. To do this, contact legislators, be respectful and let our voices be heard.

By the way, Tom Lillehaug, the lead attorney for the churches, was US Attorney for Minnesota under the Clinton presidency and is a dyed in the wool Anti on this issue. He also is one smart tuff lawyer. But he will not be able to prevail if a properly passed law comes to be.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mrpike1973
      Did real good on cats today got 4 wife 4 and I got a huge sucker that was fun. Horseshoe sure opened up today.
    • eyeguy 54
      Sure glad you had some help moose and all turned out well ! 
    • Rick
      Impressive, both Tom and Jeremy
    • eyeguy 54
      Almost time but maybe not quite... Although I did get the yak out of the backyard today, on to the trailer and up front to spend some time prepping it for time on the water soon.  Indeed it was fun getting out with you and the gang a few times this winter and looking forward to the next outings whenever they may be. WIll share what worked for me and look forward to reading some more info from others. Panfish is what I love going after and I had great fishing with gold jigs almost all winter. Did use a few other colors that worked also but that gold was hard to not use. Tear drop style tungsten in and 4 mm from Widowmaker Lures. Tried some from sportsmens direct also the last couple outings and liked them also. For plastics, the wishbone was good and also impulse mayflies and slug bugs. Tried and bought too many different things to try... LOL. Fished with shrimp for the first time ever this winter and that was a challenge and fun to try something different.  Started out with my good old ultralight gander mountain rods with the frabil titanium spring bobber and then bought a couple of the TUCR Inferno with the orange tip. I really like them for the 4mm and prefer the old ganders with a 3mm. Won a custom 32 inch power noodle from Kichler Custom Rods in Elk River at an event in Wisconsin and used it a few times yesterday. Very nice and looking forward to playing with it more. CGI inline reels still doing their job fine and I did grab one of the new Descent inlines and it worked sweet also. Nice that it now has a pop off spool instead of the gold screw off knob. 10 1/4 was my biggest gill and 14 for the crappie. Even went after catfish 3 times. Saw my first catfish tornado on the vex and iced a lot of fish after being taught how to use a bobber right for those super light biters. thx RickG   My highlight of the winter was getting a PB northern on a tip up up on Mille Lacs with stick in the mud. Fun City! My good old FL 18 is still working dandy and although I am tempted to upgrade, not sure if I will. Nills 6 inch saved my back from the hassles of the gas and when I put the Milwaukee on it life got even better. All in all a fantastic winter fishing with great guys and learning how to be a better fisherman.   Fish On! 
    • monstermoose78
      Well monstermoose78 is done ice fishing around here for the year. Why you ask I fell through yes there was 28-30 inches of ice on the lake, but the shoreline nope. Went fishing with @Cret Jigs and we had fun fishing. I cut lots of holes and we got some good ones for the knife. Cret jigs brought a plank for the way out but on the way in I did not make it to the plank. Cret jigs helped me get my stuff the shore and out. I worry about the guy on the wheeler and they guy who used the plank to get out too. Thanks Cret jigs for a fun day. 
    • redlabguy
      To all you guys who’ve been keeping us posted, thank you. I’m an islander so I don’t have much hope for the opener, but I’ve been reading all the posts (read them year around), including entertaining posts on new gear, and, again, thanks for letting a lot of guys know what’s going on there. The current weather, forecast and web cams, give me hope! I’m thinking I may get back home in three weeks, maybe four. Keep the sun shining, Dick
    • jkrash
      What a difference a day makes, yesterday the dam was locked up tight and today it's roaring. Walleye should be running this week...
    • IceHawk
      Well this morning was officially the end of the ice season for me.   Its been a lot of days on the ice this winter and I have to admit I'm  a little burnt out.   It wasn't easy but it was time to end it.  Have to admit It was a sad moment putting the gear away but it was time as needed space today to put the boat in the garage   Learned a lot of new water and reacquainted myself with some old standbys. Fished 10 different counties this winter so definitely fished a lot of different areas.  Fished many species on the ice this winter so there never was a dull moment. Didn't take a ton of pics just a few need to take more just have never been a pic type of guy LOL.   Iced 7 walleyes between 26-28 3/4 all on local lakes.  So just a tip if you dedicate some time locally big eyes can be found. Fished panfish everywhere in the state highlight area for big fish being Becker and Ottertail Douglas counties. Biggest gill this winter was 10 3/4    many 10's came topside but couldn't break 11 this winter. Craps 15 inchers were tops. Good fish but had goals set at a 16.  Some things learned this ice season where number one lure for the eyes was a old school hammered silver Swedish pimple. It far out produced anything else.   Kenders tungsten where my mainstay for gills and crappies. The plastics of choice were power bait wishbones,  chigger frys, and Northland impulse mayfly's.  The catfish were a hoot and a  change of pace did well on Maynards slammers Glow red. The equipment and gear I was running and never failed me all season were Thorne Bros Rods- For eyes Perch sweethearts. For the Panfish I was running  Power Noodles, panfish sweethearts,  and my favorite the Tripwire. Reels Pflueger Presidents, Prestige ,and Supremes.. Did use some inlines also from 13 fishing The free falls where worth every penny. Ran a K-Drill 8 inch early and late and During the thick ice Ran my strikemaste Lazer.  Vexilar Electronics the old trusty FL18 my eyes underwater, Please Don't  think that I'm pushing these products because I'm sponsored by them, I'm Not. Just want to give a thumbs up and honest opinion on  some top notch equipment that has worked and weathered the storm of a good hardwater season. Realize we all work hard for our dollars and I can honestly say these products where worth every penny and never let me down!  Well Off to the Garage to start getting the boat ready for the Next season  By the Way big Shout out to some of the best Anglers I had the chance to share the ice with this season from FM.  Thanks  Borch,  Bass Thumb,  Moose,  Eyeguy, Rick G , Tom Sawyer for shareing some ice time with me.  Hopefully I get to meet and fish with a few other FMer's this summer or next hardwater.  We had some great Times great laughs and managed to even ice a few fish   Looking forward to having a few summer outings in the future.  BYE BYE Ice Hello open water 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Thank for the update and photo Dave and Diane! Cliff
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I was out on Vermilion fishing today again. Big bay still has about the same amount of ice but the ice is a lot softer now! Small patches of 4" to 6" deep slush pockets on it. Pike bay seemed solid when we went out but when we returned almost the entire bay had about 6" of very soft slushy ice on top! That will be my last trip out this winter. Talked to one Native that I saw checking a  net that he had  out under the ice in Pike Bay. He had caught around 15 walleyes and a pike today and 8 or so walleyes yesterday. Tough way to catch fish! Cliff