• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

chaser

is there a sucker run going on anywhere?

Deep_Sinker

I have never fished for them; however, late april/early May is usually the time to look for them in the shallows and May 1 is the opening of spearing too...I would look for them in the shallows near the fish lake dam, in the drainage ditches on Lavaque and the river dumping into rice lake. I have also seen a lot in the lester river but with all the loopers, identification is key! Good luck and I am sure you will find them around.

strat-o-caster

Yes, down by Moose-lake they are starting to run!! Check the Kettle River and the Moose-Horn... Strat

chaser

Thanks!!! for the info guys

fallfrenzy1

Any other reports on the suckers running the river near Duluth? I am hoping to get out and spear a few. Didn't realize that the season for spearing was May 1st though. Anyone care to verify this for me? Thanks for any info given.

wall-i-king

yeah the opener is indeed sunday the 1st of may. I hope to get out prolly the week after the opener around here and I am not really sure where to go. If anyone has any spots or suggestions where they might at I would take any thoughts or hints. Thanks.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

Jiffy

I've caught suckers in the Lester river near the railroad bridge.

tie flyer

Remember, it is illegal to spear fish in designated trout streams.

musky hunter

For catching suckers in the Lester, they normally start to run after the bulk of the steelhead run is over. The railroad hole will stack up with them, I don't think they go upstream much farther than that. Look for them in early May.

Casaloma

I got a 2month, drop, till' service deal at Rice Lake Sm Engine. mad.gif

Will pick up the power auger tommorow & try to kill my crawlers at the dam. Will report any activity here! Cloquet Rvr. Here I come.

Casaloma

One sucker caught... By an Eagle!!

Relaxing & fun today on the shore of the Cloquet Rvr.

All by my lonesome. Tell the Trib. I saw a Kingfisher & mated Pialiated Woodpeckers.

-Later -CLoma

FlagUp

hopefully gonna try to find some suckers this afternoon. Any spots anyone can suggest around cloquet or in the area?

GottaGo

Does anybody try to catch suckers on a fly rod? If so, what type of flies do you use? I know I have seen them stacked in Lester before and think it would be a whole lot of fun to catch a mess of them on a fly.

Granny

Sucker Report from the Cromwell Area

Saturday, prespawn suckers were biting on a 1/0 Eagle Claw long shank hook with a little bit of rust on it, barrel sinker 12"-18" above the hook that was loaded with about 10 small worms. The local bait store didn't have crawlers so we dug up some less than average size worm from the garden. Most of the fish were located in a deep hole along the bank near some brush in about 6-8 feet of calm water. Sky was partly sunny and partly cloudy. Water temp around 44 degrees. We caught 15 suckers in an hour and a half. grin.gif

Later,

Granny

tie flyer

GottaGo, you should be able to catch suckers on just about any wet fly or nymph. I once caught a mess of them using a dragonfly nymph with a fast strip upstream. As somebody mentioned, suckers usually signify the end of the steelhead run. Steelheaders caught unawares usually “get the drift” as soon as they catch a sucker or two on their yarn egg, which seems to work just fine.