• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

power stroke chip?

rubber duck

Question

16 answers to this question

I would say yes, only because when we went west this year we ran two almost identical rigs and one was chipped and got CONSIDERABLY better fuel mileage. We didn't feel like we were underpowered or anything, but that other truck was OBVIOUSLY better by a good margin.

I don't know any specifics on the chips though or there cost, just what I saw in them on that trip.

Yes they do increase power A LOT and give better fuel mileage, if you can keep your foot off pedal, the temptation to "step on it" it's too big.

Beware if you buy the high performance (HP), you will blow your transmission quickly, unless you have manual gear.

Cost between $ 350.00 to $ 900.00 depending on feature and power.

I would get the edge juice if you want a performance upgrade. It is the only one that I know of that will keep the transmission safe. It has a sensor of some type that can sense if there is tranny slip so that it reduces the power so that it won't fry it.

Thanks for all the feed back!!!!!!! I am not relly looking for more power, just more fuel economy.

Hey there Rubber Duck...

In my opinion, just installing a chip or a tuner is not the answer to better fuel mileage. I feel it's not so much limiting the amount of fuel that goes into your motor, but using that same fuel more efficiently.

As a fellow PSD owner, I see your (and my) first step as being a good set of gauges before any chips, tuners or other mods. Knowing exactly what your motor is doing is important when it comes to maximizing performance in both power and economy. Exhaust gas temp (EGT) and a REAL trans temp gauge being the most important ones. Add a boost gauge if you want a well rounded package.

Next, a free flowing exhaust system. A step up to a 4" diameter system goes a long way to allowing better breathing. Yes, this system will be slightly louder than stock. However it's no where near what most people would call annoying.

Next, open up the intake with a low restriction air cleaner set up. There are quite a few choices with this one. My only suggestion here is to stay away from the drop-in "high performance" filters using the stock air box. While they do flow more, that also allow more garbage into your motor due to bad sealing around the air box lid.

After these are done, then start thinking about chips and tuners. This subject has many facets. Single stage, "flip" chips, six position tuners..... The list goes on and on. There's even a few folks out there that will custom "burn" a chip to your specs.

With most chips and tuners I've seen, gains in fuel mileage seem to go hand in hand with small, sometimes moderate gains in horsepower. A side effect to even small HP increases in turbo diesels is higher exhaust gas (EGT) temps. These can be deadly to your turbo if allow to get TOO high. Even with tuners set at "lower" settings, EGT's can climb to 1100* in a hurry. Sustained operation with EGT's higher than 1200* is NOT a good thing. Thus the reason for a good EGT gauge.

Most, if not all of these parts are simple bolt-ons and available on line at a number of different retailers. If you'd like more info on these sites, feel free to drop me an email. With fuel prices these days going through the roof, I've been doing quite a bit of research on PSD economy improvements.

One other thing I would say is that I had a tuner in my last gas truck and I know that for a fact I DID NOT get "considerable better fuel mileage". I don't know if a diesel is better. I have a Duramax now and I am considering if I want to do something like that as well but for right now I will hold off. I get around 17 mpg depending how I drive and it has more than enough power so I have held off. One other cool thing about the juice system I mentioned is that the system allows you to add a exhaust temp gauge and it allows you to monitor other funcions.

Moose Hunter, excellent reply. I agree 100% on your statements, in fact that's the correct way to approach the Programmable Chips route for diesel trucks.

Only neg aspect of Moose Hunter he's a PSD owner, Iffwalleyes is a Duramax guy.... I feel sorry for you people, I am a CTD owner laugh.gif

Excellent response, Moose Hunter!

One other thing about adding performance mods to diesel trucks: If you have a factory warranty, be ready to have it voided. Some dealers will void everything if they see any kind of aftermarket engine performance mods.

I, like Val, have the CTD in my 2001 Dodge. (six speed manual) The only mod I have done (so far) is add a fuel pressure gage so I can tell when the lift pump that feeds the injection pump is going bad.

The next mod will be EGT and boost gages. Not so much for performance, just to tell me what the engine is doing. IMO, these should come as factory equipment.

I have not really felt the need to boost power yet. It has pulled everything I have ever hooked up to with ease. Any further increase in power would require a beefier clutch.

My milage has avereged 19 mpg empty over 162,000 miles, with frequent tanks beyond 20. I run unloaded the majority of the time. Towing runs about 16-17 MPG.

Best milage comes at 60-67 MPH. If you can keep the boost down on any diesel, that helps a lot. Drive like there is an egg under the pedal.

Another issue is not to spend too much money in gadgets if your goal is mpg only.

If you start spending $ 400 for an exhaust, $ 600 or more for a programmer/chip, $ 250 for air filter kit, $ 250 for gauges kit, that adds up to $ 1,500 or more.

The gain with all these is maybe 1mpg/2mpg extra (first 2 months you will use more fuel, from enjoying the extra power and stepping on pedal) before you reach a break even point at $ 1,500 or more, you will have to do some traveling.

All modern chip/programmer have a "transmission splip" feature, in fact even the OEM ECM has it, but the power added from most of the aftermarket is so big that will destroy your tranny in a short time.

Gissert is so right! Any motor "enhancement" will kill a warranty quicker than a gut hooked walleye. There are a few dealers out there that are willing to "work with you" in some cases. However "mod friendly" (power or economy) service departments are few and far between no matter what brand diesel your driving.

So Val.... You were the first to "throw down the gloves" eh? Mr. CTD.... grin.gif Bring it on pal!! LOL!! tongue.gif Just kidding!! You've got one heck of a truck there. The CTD is a GREAT power plant. Plenty of power on tap and even more just waiting quitely in the wings. Longing to be coaxed to the surface. Let me just add... I really have enjoyed my PSD. It's done everything I've ever asked of it. Which has been considerable!! However, this truck was my second choice... I'm still a Mopar man at heart. BTW... If you ever feel all the CTD power you have is just not enough... Give me a shout, I've got a heck of a recipe for ya! wink.gif

I'm not at all familiar with the Duramax.... Seems to be a ton on the road so GM must be doing something right. I just want to know how they make'em so dang quite? Side by side with my PSD and I can't even hear the Duramax running... shocked.gif

PSD, CTD, Duramax.... Whatever you drive. We're all oil burners. Hammer down guys!!! grin.gif

Moose, I was just trying to pick a friendly fight.

I had all 4 of the main diesels (Powerstroke, Cummins, Duramax, and GM 6.5) and ended up staying with Dodge since I always loved it.

Anyway they are all high perf motors, and there will be no end to the debate "mine has more power of yours...", it's just like the Dodge/Ford/Chevy war... laugh.gif

I already started to tweak mine, I am just holding on for a super tranny that will buy soon, then I will begin the fun of adding HPs.

I gottcha Val... It's all in good fun! grin.gif

Have you decided on a trans yet? I'm assuming it's an auto... I know a guy with a VERY built CTD... All I can say is you're going to have some fun!!! grin.gif

Dan, I will have a super tranny from Goerend transmissions in IA, looks like they are one of the best builders around here, have 36 months unlimited miles and unlimited HP warranty, that alone sells the tranny to me.

I don't intend to build mine a lot, I will add just bigger injectors, lift pump, and a box. I already have exhaust, intake and gauges. I just need to pull a lot, I don't need 0/60mph in 5 seconds.... grin.gif but it's sure fun reading and learning about it....

I am not sure how they get the Duramax so quiet. It was to quiet for me. I straight piped it yesterday. Now rumbles when you get on it but once you get on the highway it really quiet. I like the sound now still isn't too loud. My old half ton with dual exhaust was louder. I might might get tired of it but if I do I have the muffler that I can put back in so it isn't big deal.

I am a chevy guy always have been and always will be that why I went with the duramax. I like there interiors and ride way better than either of the other two. One thing about a CTD though is that they are what a diesel is suppose to sound like. I have always like their sound.

Isn't that funny... GM studied a lot to make the Duramax the quietest diesel around, then 50% of their owners installs pipes and make it loud.

I had my CTD without exhaust from turbo down, started it and it wasn't much noisier than with exhaust on, I think turbo does a lot of "dampening".

I love Chevy dual climate controls, my wife it's always cold, I'm always hot. When we travel in winter I've got short sleeves and she's wearing a Columbia jacket, looks very odd....

I believe the quietness has to do with the common rail injection.The '03 Cummins and up are also very quiet.

It looks like all three brands have good, reliable diesel engines now.

Gotta agree that the Chevy has great ride quality.