• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mud flats at night

fishing addict

I have never fished the mud flats at night. Has anyone had luck doing this? Do you anchor up and fish the top of the flats? Do you drift?

I remeber last year, late summer when the bite was very very slow, I heard of people having success on the flats in the middle of the night. Never got out there myself but I know of people that did real well. They were using slip bobbers and leeches.

Fish can be active on top of the flats, but I have had the best luck on the edges. Some days you will have a lot of luck anchored with slip bobbers, while other times you will do much better trolling live bait rigs or cranks around the edges. For me I like to drift or troll during the day and use a slip bobber at night.

Good Luck!

Thanks scott

[This message has been edited by fishing addict (edited 05-18-2004).]

One of the best ways to catch allot and Big walleyes on Mille Lacs is to slip bobber the flats at night in mid-summer. I have caught some of my biggest walleyes doing this, the edges are usually better. I anchor about 15 yards from the edge on top of the flat and cast out sometimes leting my bobber drift up/down the edge of the flat. You catch plenty of fish expecially big fish.

Do you still fish pretty close to bottom at night? Do you guys move often or just anchor up and wait for the fish to travel through?

Fish the edges of flats w lindy rig, Then when you find the spot that seems to be holding fish, anchor there and slip bobber. This is a great big fish pattern. We had several 22" to 29" eyes last year doing this on two attempts.

If you are catching fish on the live bait rig, set you bobber 2-3 ft off the bottom. If you are seeing fish on your sonar 10 ft off the bottom, set your bobber accordingly.

You don't have to wait until mid-summer. We did well first week of June last year.

Are there many fish to be caught on the mud flats this time of year. I love to fish the mud, but have not fished mille lacs this early in the year. Thanks in advance!!

GEO has a very good system. I use it alot on almost all lakes. I start out with the Foam Walker (standing slip sinker) and locate where the fish are and then I switch to the Wave Buster Bobber. The Wave Buster Bobber accomidates a 3mm glow light stick. I just poke a starter hole with a toothpick then snap and shake the light stick and poke it into the top of the bobber for 8 hrs. of night fishing. The Wave Buster casts far and straight with a 1/16 or 1/8th oz jig and leech! Fish Fish Fish!!! Bruce Mosher

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com