• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marcum vs. Vexlar

farmislandeye

Question

Does anyone know which one is better? Vexlar or Marcum????

• Answers 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• CNY Tim

• katoguy

• Pete Riola

• Bob Horn

katoguy the recall statement may have been the spark that ignited the flame and I apologize for that. It's just that Vexilar has been in the business a very long time like you said, and you would have thought they would have thoroughly tested the 18 before it hit the streets like MarCum did before they released the LX-3.

It makes a big difference to me when the guys whom design the product actually ice fish. These same engineers ran the LX-3 through the motions extensively to make sure the LX-3 was designed to do what it's supposed to do.

How many FL-18's went out to retailers with the zoom problems before the updates were announced? Why weren't retailers notified not to distribute these 18's without the upgrade instead of continually selling them and letting the consumer worry about it after the fact? I know I was one of them. Were not talking about a handfull of units here, there were many.

You are correct when you change depth scales with the LX-3 you need to reprogram the zoom on the LX-3. When I am hole hopping flats I can move effortlessly with the LX-3 but the FL-18 needs to be reprogrammed every single hole I repeat every single hole to stay in zoom. Now if you cut 30 holes on a flat and you utilize the zoom feature with the LX-3 you spend more time fishing and no time adjusting. You cant say that with the FL-18 in zoom mode. I don't fish steep drops or go from a 8' to 40' in a flash. I know zoom isn't for everyone but man it's nice to have all the bells and whistles with the LX-3. High flying perch and walleyes to suspended crappies it delivers from top to bottom.

There's a reason vex needs those knobs because your constantly adjusting to stay in zoom and you better have solid hardware if your gonna be continuously flipping switches on and off.

I thought the 12 was the perfect setup for the 18? It seems more guys run 9/19's off of them than 12's around here. Doesn't that add more money to the base product?

Since you discussed the Normal/LP mode let's talk about it I found the LP mode to be more of a gimmick than a tool I still couldn't reduce all the blobbiness in my display and your talking to a former FL-8 user... The only unit I have used that can perform in shallow weed cover well was the LX-3. Even with the FL-18 and 12 deg. transducer you have zero to little reaction time in shallow water. With MarCum's wider 20 deg. beam you have a little extra early warning to get up to that suspended crappie or gill and the adjustability of a highly sensitive gain to reduce weed clutter. It's truely amazing in heavy cover.

Look if you buying a unit for zoom features alone the clear choice is MarCum. The LX-3's 10' zoom in 40' or less is incredible.

Finishing up season 3 with the LX-3 and no contact switch problems to speak of and maybe it's because I spend less time adjusting the LX-3 and more time fishing maybe that's why you do not here alot about contact switch problems.

Look it's easy to rest on your laurels when your the only game in town but I truly believe that the LX-3 has delivered out of the box more exciting features than the competition at a competitive price plus a two year warranty to boot.

Fish both units side by side and you'll see what I mean.

Until you have done this there's not much further we can go on this subject. There both tools in an ice fishermans arsenal designed to help you catch fish and eliminate unproductive holes. They go about each a little differently but in the end a flasher has made ice fishing more enjoyable for me.

Tim, agreed - I think a flasher is a must. I'll eat crow (and admit it) if I try the X67 and truly feel it beats out the other 2. I know no one personally that has one a X67. Maybe next year I will be able to try one on ice. I do like the idea of a built in gps.

Good luck the remaining ice. Ours will be gone soon.

Change is difficult for everyone, especially those that are used to the vex. My brother switched to the Marcum after years of using a vex and is having a difficult time accepting/learning how to use the Marcum. I've used mine for 3 years now and wouldn't trade it for the vex. I won't be without a variable zoom. Give it some time and some patience and you'll see what all the hype is about. Go with the Marcum! As far as customer service goes, Marcum is GREAT. I have not dealt with the vex on this issue but have talked with the people at Marcum on a few occassions. Bottom line, they are fisherpeople too and know how to please us.

I am totally open for change - always looking for an edge up on the competition (fish and fellow anglers)! grin.gif

Just wondering how long has Mercom been out?? I own a Zercom colorpoint great unit, but after a few years the company sold out to Eagle I believe and discontinued the Zercom line no repair or parts that is why I am wondering about Mercom>>>later the load

Well most of the guys here are into there 3rd season with it now so the LX-3 is probably 3 years old. MarCum also made the Strikemaster Polar Vision hand held depth finders.

Another point in favor of the LX-3 that has been touched upon but not really explained is how much cheaper it is, When you buy it you get everything, no need to by a supression cable, soft case, differnt transducer, or anything else. It comes out of the box alive and ready to rumble. I think that vexilar could include everything right away, but don't, they see it as a way to make more money. Plus when I purchased my LX-3, I looked at both the 18 and the Lx-3 and the fact that it was cheaper by 30 bucks, came with a soft case, ( another 30 bucks saved ), and didn't need any special add on's for use in shallow water or on breaks sealed the deal.

The variable zoom is aweasome and i have fished next to old fl-8's new fl-8's and 18's and i get no interference and my screen is so much clearer, no flicker what so ever, even the new FL-18's have a slight flicker that i pick up once having my crystal clear screen.

The only thing that vex has on marcum is the screen colors, They contrast much more, but once i adjusted to the differnt colors i was just fine.

RR56