• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oh no!!!...Not The Knee!!!

GullGuide

Mauer left the game yesterday due to soeness in his left knee.....might be time to consider a position change for Joe.

God knows I wanted to see this guy work out because I really think he is the "real" deal but......he's got the glass knee and is going to be trouble constantly now. Can you say "trade bait"?

I think it might be time to start getting the kid used to third base. DH is needed for Ford/Stewart. I could see Mauer as a good third baseman. He is athletic enough. I wouldn't trade him either. We aren't paying much for him and he is yound and has a big upside in a position that we don't have much.

Sounds like it would be good to give him another year off from squatting behind homeplate. By this I mean find another spot for him. I dont remember him ever playing third. This probly means switching between DH and first. Looks like an overload at those two positions and not enought other infielders for our beloved twins. Odds are someone else will get hurt during the season and he can settle in somewhere else. ff

He may be a real good catcher, but a kid that young with knee problems is trade bait. He had complications last year after sugery, and now more problems. No way he lasts very long behind the plate.

I say give him a little more time. That is pretty much our only option. We are too deep at DH & Outfield right now, so he really doesn't fit in anywhere except what we drafted him for. I think it is catcher or trade for him.

It doesn't matter if he never played third. He can and should learn to play it. It's not that hard and there have been plenty of former catchers that have been converted to third base. He could also play first and Morneau could be DHing. Then you have to find at bats for Ford and Stewart.

Also, why would you trade him. crazy.gif Yah, he may be hurt but other teams know this and we aren't paying much to him. To trade him would be very foolish as I don't think you'd see that much for him. Anyways we don't know, maybe this is nothing and he will be behind the plate all year long. cool.gif

Maybe a little to early to shuffel him off to Buffalo? There were alot of good catchers that were alot older then Mauer, that had their knees worked on and still were able to shine.

Granted, it does'nt look good at this point, but maybe with a little time it will right itself?

I had my left kneecap torn half way off in an accident, they fixed it, it got sore from time to time at first, then it was like it never happened.

Had arthroscopic (Sp) on my right knee when I was in my 40's and although it gets a little sore once in awhile, it came back most of the way?

Granted, I'm a far cry from a major league catcher, but what I'm saying is that maybe it's still to new and they are taking precautions? I sure hope so, we need that guy!

Mauer could very eaisly learn to play 3rd base, he already has the fast glove and the strong arm, all we need to teach him is to stand up when the pitcher is in the wind-up. They can find a no name catcher and give mauer's knee's a rest, you can play him now till he gets hurt and ruin his whole career, he's got a great bat incase you guys have forgotten, or we can put him at third and maybe take a few bumps along the way and it will work out better eventually. If his knee's are completly healed in a few years then he can catch again, to me the risk isnt worth it to stick him behind the plate.

Mauer looked pretty good today, beating out the throw to first! The Twins in general looked pretty good! It's only camp, but I think we are going to have a good young team this season, sprinkled with just enough established players that are'nt dinosaurs (O.k., Mulholland if he makes it) to make it interesting.

I know this is a very bold prediction, but if our team pans out the way it could, we should have a legitamit chance to make a world series appearance this year or next. Pitching staff looks great all the way through, and our line-up looks very solid to the 8 hitter and should have some power mixed in with the speed for once.

Mr.S....My thoughts also! But, I think the same thing every year.... grin.gif

Grebe-

I know what you mean, really I do. The sad thing is that I will probably post the same rant in Football forum about the Vikes. But previous to the last three years, no one who was mentally stable could have said that about our Twins for about 10 years prior. They were not easy on the eyes or ears, that's for sure. But you have to love the Twins organization and its pure approach to the game.

Mr. S....I guess I'm mentally ill and a bit unstable, probably even a little crazy, but the Twins are my top pick every year...until they show me otherwise!

Now football is a different story! The Vikes have had way more opportunities to go to and win the big show, then the Twins have, but the Twins have gone and done it twice! The Vikes have bombed every time.