• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Break-ins

Hoovey

Shack owners beware...There have been several shacks that have been broken into lately on the East Side. They got me sometime last week. The S.O.B.'s even took my direct vent heater from the wall. Looks like they are traveling by snowmobile so they could be coming from anywhere. Just a reminder not to leave valuables (if possible) in the shacks when you leave. I got lazy and it cost me dearly, they cleaned me out pretty good. If anybody catches these a--holes just remember...it's a big lake and they can't drag for bodies until the ice thaws!

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. Can you give more detail as to where you were and why you think they are on snowmobiles? I assume there were tracks leading to and from your house. Did you follow them?

I think that all the fish house owners should get a permit to carry. That might discourage the thieves somewhat. I have one, and my house is packing heat.

Hoovey,

I also am on the east side and am very concerned about the dirty s.o.b.'s that are ruining our little piece of heaven. I hope that people become aware and pay attention to suspicious activities. Remember trust "trust no one" if it looks like someone is up to no good it's likely your right. We as sportsman must band together or "watch out" for these villians. Its just not right! I am sorry to hear about your misfortune and I will be keeping a watchfull eye out for the filth that feels the need to steal from others..... On a lighter note I know who you are mr hoovey but do you know me?

I am with BradB - Where are you located on the east side? I beleave that BradB and I are both out of the same resort. Would be nice to catch these dirty SOB's. I did see a DNR guy out by MTB Roads T & R searching heavy for something. I know he had a Radar on him and was running the roads pretty hard (30 + MPH ) It appears that he may have been after someone. Any ways I hope they get cought.

Someone has to know who's breaking into these houses. People talk. The thieves have to be selling or pawning the stuff somewhere. If anyone knows who it is, turn them in. You'll be doing everyone including the local economy a great favor. Ice Fishermen and Women don't take this lightly. Tempers flair. Someones going to get hurt real bad if they get caught in the act. I just hope it's the thieves.

I think one thing that would help would be better communication between fish house owners. If we all had a pretty good idea which vehicles should be at which houses, and when folks are there, then we could look out better for one another. This might also help with other problems such as loud generators, driving around at prime time, etc.

Most everyone has a cell phone now and if we had a directory of house, name, and phone number we could watch out for each other quite a bit. This would probably have to be done on a resort by resort, basis.

BradB- how is carrying a gun going to help you stop theft. If your at your fish house they obviously arnt going to break in because they can see that your there. They will only break in if nobody is at the house. So carrying a gun wont stop ice house theft or even deture it. Plus if you end up shooting someone who breaks into your house and they die have fun siting in jail for 20 plus years.

I am out of Hunter's Point resort. The reason I think they were on sleds is that sled tracks were the only visible tracks. The house behind me also got hit and there were snowmobile tracks within 2 feet of that house on both sides and the tracks went straight on to my house. I couldn't follow them any further due to drifting. They may not not have been the culprits, but anyone driving that close to shacks must be up to no good. I agree we must keep an eye out for each other out there and pass around as much info as possible regarding these events.

Hbcbr,

You have me stumped...how about another clue?

Roosterslayer,

I am not foolish enough to believe that carrying a gun will prevent thieves from robbing my house while I'm there. I do believe, however, that if the thieves know that fish house owners in general may be packing heat that it may deter them from boldly robbing these houses every year.

Furthermore, as a licensed carry permit holder I do not see how it would be possible for me to land in jail. I know the law, and I will always follow it, in every situation. The Minnesota Personal Protection Act is not a license to kill, and there are very few situations where deadly force is legal.

They also hit some houses by big point and stole a heater there also.They also said they thought they were on snowmobiles.A couple of weeks ago I heard a wheelhouse was stolen and another one was broken into in the same area.Might want to check the pawn shop.

Hoovey

Out of all the characters you must know i'm sure if you think real hard you can figure out who I am. The clues are already in the name. Study it carefully! I'm sure you won't go barking up the wrong tree...

HBcbr,

I should have known it was you! At least the goons that broke into your house this spring were a little less greedy...or maybe your heater was too big. Don't write me off for this year. I'm not going to let a little thing like no heat keep me from fishing. Of course I'll be standing there in my tennis shoes with some fishing line tied to my finger seeing as they got my boots and fishing poles. If you stop by the shack and the lights are off, it doesn't mean I'm not there. I just don't have a battery for the lights anymore. I'd offer you a cup of coffee when you get there, but I won't have anything to warm it up with. Oh yeah, bring some chairs if you want to sit down. Maybe I better stop by your shack instead. See you up there.

• 2 weeks later...