• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

pressure ridges

bassguru

I will be on the south/east side next week. (McQuoids) How are the pressure ridges?

I normaly fish small lakes, no ridges. How are they built, will I have any problem problem crossing them in a car.

Probably a "dumb" question, just curious.

bassguru

Pressure ridges are caused by the expansion of ice and as it moves it has to give somewhere and buckles up.I would avoid driving over them.If you plan on driving a car I am sure you plan on going out threw a resort and they put bridges over them.Check with the resort and they will be able to tell you if your car will be ok.There isnt much snow up there but there is some drifts and you dont have much clearance in a car.I would suggest bringing a shovel and maybe some sand or cat litter along just in case you were to get stuck.

[This message has been edited by rmh2o (edited 01-22-2004).]

Bass: If you are headed out of Macs Twin Bay there is a ridge about a mile out. They have a bridge over it, just follow the stacked road and the yellow tape and markers at the bridge you'll be fine. As of yesterday nothing else past Hennepin Island that was problem for us to our house. Bill

Thanks for the info.

The weather report does not look to good for driving a car, but will wait & see what it is like on Tues. morning.

Bassguru