• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The 2005 Detroit Tigers will.............

buzzsaw

Let me start out by saying that Magglio Ordonez is a pretty good hitter when healthy. Now let's look at what the twins got for about 10 million a year, and what Detroit got for about 15 million a year.

Twins: Johan Santana, reigning Cy Young Award Winner

Tigers: A hopefully healthy, pretty good hitter with very little speed and decent defense.

I suppose if you want you can get excited about that.

Please correct my english and feel free to reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzzsaw

• BackHerUp

• Windy City Walleye Hunter

• genegodawa

Tigers lead the A.L. in batting (as a team)...

A.L. Team Batting Stats

Pretty good start so far, hammering out 7 home runs in Comerica Park already. Without Magglio Ordonez too (viral infection). He's expected back Sunday or Tuesday (@ Minnesota).

The pitching has been outstanding as well. Second in the A.L., but it's really early to tell. They've gone through the rotation once and Mike Maroth was the only pitcher with a bad outing (Wed. lost 7-2 to KC) and he's known to be a slow starter...he'll be OK.

A.L. Pitching Stats

Unfortunately (or fortunately), it's a long season and it's one game at a time... grin.gif

Quote:

AND they scored 11 more runs today! NOT BAD AT ALL!!

I'm surprised at your "humbled' demeanor. Looks like the blades on your "buzzsaw" need sharpening! Either that, or the Twins need to start winning. The Twins just don't look good to me. I mean, how could they have improved over last year? A team that didn't accomplish their goals to begin with, by losing Koskie, Guzman and Blanco and not replacing them with equal or better components? They will have to over-achieve this year (in my opinion), to win their division again. Not enough depth either. Carlos Silva went on the D.L. too. Time will tell...

Barring any serious injuries to the Tigers, their offense has improved (on paper anyway) from last year's team, which was 4th in the majors in runs scored. They had 10 guys hit HR's in double figures...that will go up this year too.

Their pitching is the big question. Again, on paper and according to spring performances the pitching looks like it could drastically improve over last year's model...we'll see. Only time will tell...

The Twins gave the division a headstart last year and look what happened.... again! I'm not worried about not being in first place after the first week, I'd be worried if we were 5 back with 4 to go... I guess thats how one starts to think when he/she is used to winning divisions year after year. cool.gif

Heres more......

The Tigers turn to Mike Maroth (0-1, 12.27 ERA), who was hit hard in his 2005 debut Wednesday. The 28-year-old Maroth gave up five runs and 11 hits in 3 2/3 innings in a 7-2 loss to the Kansas City Royals.

Detroit has split four games since, including a 7-6 loss to the Cleveland Indians on Sunday. Jeremy Bonderman was tagged for seven runs in six innings in the defeat.

Minnesota has dominated Detroit over the past four seasons, winning all four season series by a combined record of 46-19 Minnesota has dominated Detroit over the past four seasons, winning all four season series by a combined record of 46-19

When is the last time the Tigers were in a chase for the div title?? After last July your posts got quite small. Easy to talk the smack, but let's see that pitching staff carry the kitty kats to the div title, or , may we say, agst the Yanks or Sox??? can you say,, JOKE!!!!!????????

Hey "Can't back it up" Whats your prediction this week.... your starting pitchers are: Maroth, Johnson & Robertson vs Twins: Mays, Lohse & Radke.

Can't wait to hear from the guru. laugh.gif

Backherup is not responding do to work obligations. He is now on his way to transporting Jeremy Bonderman and his personal belongings to the minors. Soon he will be back and proclaiming Bonderman the Cy Young leader, thou , Bonderman's at Dumptroit's AA farm. Soon, we will here how Dumptriot is the most improved team in baseball. Soon we will here how Dumptroit's manager is the best since Sparky. Soon Dumptriot will be 10-15 games out and very soon we will here no more or very little ( when Dumptroit wins 2 outta three from the SUX) from Ican'tbackherup-anymore becasue Dumptroit sucks and has since 1987.

Mudcutter, you kill me! That was a good post! Full credit issued!

Mr. Percival meet Mr. Stewart! And a fine welcome to Minnesota! Troy Percival used to own the Twins, I guess when you put on that Detroilet uniform it kind of brings out the double A ball in you! It was nice to see Mays come back from "Tommy John" surgery and perform Okay. How about Jason Bartlett taking Maroth yard!! I hope you weren't playing with your semi truck tonight, I'm sure you saw the game and were all excited in the 8th inning... up one with Yuckie Urbina tossin' BP up there, up one run and poof he blows it again! Then your dumb manager brings in your closer in a non-save situation and he blows it! Beautiful!

Trade Urbina!! He will bring your team down! smirk.gif

Twins Fans----

Remember when Percival was with the Angels?? The Twins I think didn't score a earned run agst him in like 37 innings or something. The guy DOMINATED the Twins. Funny how things change when you put on a DUMPTROIT uniform. Check the box score from tonights game. Uggie looked rightfully Dumpy also. Twins with justin and Silva,,, Dumptroit don't stand a chance.

I thought that Percival would take the game into extra innings, but then along came Shannon and it's Detroit confused.gif and the Twins grin.gif The W.I.N. is in the Twins again and it ain't just the spelling!

Well we get that stud of theirs tonight... Jason Johnson with an ERA of zero or something Detroit superstar like! Oh, heres a scoring update Jason Johnson throws 34 pitches, gets ONE out!! (Good job stud) Gives up seven hits, one walk and five earned runs!! NOT BAD FOR 1/3 of an inning pitched!! LOSERVILLE!! Oh hey, good idea bring in something called Ginterbait... 4.2 innings pitched and only two earned runs!! update... Joe Mauer laces a single that scores Punto.... good job Jamie Walker, way to make the scorecard! This is exactly why your Tigers cannot and will not compete with Minnesota for the Division title... NO pitching!! You may have a 20 million higher payroll than us but we have Terry Ryan and a phenominal farm system... look at Bartletts, Tiffees & Mauers contributions so far in this series. We don't go out and buy "OLD" talent, we grow it! You've got to know your team can't hang?! Please just tell us that your medication ran out. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Anytime the twins can get a win with Lohse and Mays starting is an extra. Normaly if one of those guys wins we will pick up the series win for sure. Now that they both win you have to think of a sweep of the MotorCity Kities. Time for brad to pitch a good game.

Note to Brad Radke, Throw some junk and a lot of it, the Tigers cant hit offspeed stuff.

ff

where's "cantbackitup" haven't seen a post on here in a while about his tigers grin.gif

His M.O. is that he doesn't respond unless his team wins!! Period! He's been reading this and just can't handle the playful abuse. If Detroit beats Radke tonight he will be back from his imaginary road trip. tongue.gif

Game notes:

Twins pitchers combined to strike out 12 batters. ... Over the past five seasons, Minnesota is 58-19 against the Tigers. ... Lohse improved to 6-1 in 12 career games against Detroit. ... Stewart has a hit in all eight games this season. ... Johnson won his first start of the year, against Kansas City on April 7 when he allowed five hits in 6 2/3 scoreless innings.

Game was over after the first inning last night. Detroit's pitching is bad. If they would have tried to spend some of their money on pitching, maybe they could compete for the division but I don't see it with their starters and their bullpen. Look at the whitesox, they got some pitching between this year and last and are looking pretty decent right now.

I heard there was a special on brooms down at Fleet Farm or was it Home Depot? 10 more runs against that Detroit pitching staff tonight and a few more booted balls from there defense! What can I say... pitching and defense wins games... along with 10 runs! It's gotta be so disheartining for "Cantbackitup" to talk all that smack (will it ever end) only to have his team get swept, spanked trashed in a three game set with the lowly Twins (per Dmitri "not so" Young). The only thing Detroit players are better at than the Twins are talking trash! and maybe sweeping it up as well!

Buzzsaw,

You know they had the same special going on at Wal-Mart last night when I was there. Evidently they had prematuraly stocked them last weekend at the request of an all too eager White Sox fan, but we all know Santana took care of that. The sales clerk told me that they just kept them on the shelves without sending them back because they knew Twins fans would need them after the Detroit series this week. grin.gif

I remember that post from the Windy City Bandit! grin.gif Heres a quote after the Twins spanked the Tigers.

The Twins have won nine straight over the Tigers and are 59-19 against them since 2001.

"They humbled us," said Young, who went 2-for-4. "We definitely wanted to show them this was a different team. Unfortunately they beat us the way they've been beating us.

Still waiting for Backdatbigrigup to reply...... ho hum. wink.gif

Tigers infante after Twins thumping.jpg

Togers Robertson bombed.jpg

Pretty nice someone brought out the broom this week. That's called a sweep. Where's backerup?

Yep looks like this key free agent signing is already paying BIG DIVIDENDS.

Tigers: Hernia sidelines Ordonez 4-6 weeks

The News

Magglio Ordonez was diagnosed with a hernia on Friday and is expected to be sidelined four-to-six weeks. The Tigers' right fielder has been limited to 10 at bats this season because of a variety of ailments, including diverticulitis and a viral infection. Tigers' president and general manager Dave Dombrowski told MLB.com that the other maladies essentially masked the hernia.

Our View

Poor Maggs! If it's not one thing, it's another. The knee problems that limited him to 52 games last year are no longer an issue, but one has to think the Tigers are feeling a little skittish about the five-year, $75-million deal they gave him. Fantasy owners should unfortunately plan on being without him until June. Meanwhile, the Tigers will continue to make do with Marcus Thames and Bobby Higginson in right field.

Dumptroit starts out 3-7. Lots of things to look forward to in Dumptroit. Well on there way to a 48-114 record. Not really that bad thou- Dumptroit, you should be used to it. You've only lost 204 games the last 2 years. What's another "manager of year" (as quoted by Dumptroit's spokesman Ican'tbackherup) like year for Dumptroit??? Manger of year only in Dumptroit where they put up with garbage becasue the whole city is a dump. I didn't say subs, but that city is a DUMP!!!!!

Whew... and I was beginning to think it was just me piling on! I guess when you go out and talk smack about how good your team will be and at the same time talk down the 3 time Division champs you'll get the wrath of Twins fans. I know it's a long season and hopefully "Cantbackitup" will decide to come out of hiding and participate in what he started (yes, I started this thread but you threw the gas on the fire) I would hope he would want to explain why things aren't going the way he said they would for his beloved Tigers.... I mean with all those free agent signings they have to be better right?? I'm just curious whats happening in Detroit? Why the poor start and will they truely get to the top as you've stated? blush.gif

I'm back! I knew you guys were going to have fun with "the sweep". First of all, congratulations are in order. (Not that any of you had anything to do with the way the Twins played! grin.gif)...I still know that the Tigers are a much improved team over last years 29-game turnaround. The pitching has always been in question, but the hitting (actually, run production) all but disappeared against the Twins. They pretty much matched the Twins in hits (per game) but didn't capitalize on the baserunners. Too many left on base. Oh well, that's just one series. 5 more to go. As far as the pitching went...it just plain sucked. Jason Johnson and Nate Robertson should have just stayed in their civ'ies and "called in sick" or something! Just plain got hammered. But...it's a long season, and there will be losing streaks and winning streaks and unforeseen injuries and the return of Ordonez to look forward to. As it is, without Ordonez the Tigers were still leading the A.L. in batting...so things aren't all bad confused.gif!

P.S: I work 60-70 hrs a week. Drive semi's from Monday night to Saturday morning, so that's why it's hard for me to respond to your assaults any sooner than the weekend. During the week, I only have 8 hrs (off a day) to sleep, do chores and play with the "li'l tyke"...so forgive me if I have a "shortened life" away from this forum...grin.gif

Enjoy it (first place with the White Sox) while you can...it won't last. Nothing ever does...and the Tigers will come roaring back! (mark my words, never mind, I'll mark 'em for ya!)...as soon as Dmitri Young stops making ridiculous statements!!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

What r u looking at. Thier 3rd in avg. Twins 4th.OBP twins r 1st and Detroit is 7th. SLG Twins r 4th and Detroit is 5th. OPS twins r 4th and Detroit is 6th. League Twins Tied for first Tigers tied for last.

Quote:

What r u looking at. Thier 3rd in avg. Twins 4th.OBP twins r 1st and Detroit is 7th. SLG Twins r 4th and Detroit is 5th. OPS twins r 4th and Detroit is 6th. League Twins Tied for first Tigers tied for last.

Get your facts straight, and provide the proof as I did below, courtesy of MLB.com...

Tigers are first in the Majors in runs scored, hits and RBI's, 2nd in the A.L. (3rd in the Majors) in average at .291 (Twins are 7th in the A.L. and 13th in the Majors hitting .263 as a team), 4th in the A.L. in OBP at .344 (Twins are 5th at .337), and SLG pct. the Tigers are 3rd in the A.L. (6th in the Majors) at .448 (Twins are 10th in the A.L. and 19th in the Majors at .406)...

Click on the link below (and once there, click on any statistical categories to see the rankings for that category):

MLB Sortable Team Stats (4/19/05)