• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Generators

Judd

I use a generator all the time and I havnt seen it effect the fishing.The reason I say that is because I also use an underwater camera and the fish dont react any differently.I would agree with you on the noise being irritating if you are by someone running a contractor model that runs wide open or even the colemans are pretty noisy.I run a Honda 2000 in the back of my truck and you can barely hear it run.I also never set up right next to someone else and sometimes people stay farther away if they see a generator.Ill never understand why people go to a 130000 acre lake and want to fish 50 feet or less from someone else.

Why do people feel they need to run generators for 2-3 days at their fish house? A couple of good deep cycle 12 volt batteries will run most everything you need, and there is no reason I can think of for those noisy things.

Every year, it seems, it is just a matter of time before some inconsiderate jerk puts his house/generator near mine. I have to move then, as I find it annoying and believe it hurts the fishing.

Even if you're running a TV, DVD player, and lights you should be able to do it for a couple of days with good, deep cycle batteries.

Ack!

My son is 16 and Autistic. I tried the 2 deep cycles and an inverter but they don't run everything I need for him to be comfortable. I run a honda 2500 and keep it in a trailer nearly closed up to keep the sound and vibration to a minimum.

We usually shut it off at night. When we don't, the generator doesn't keep me nearly as awake as the snowmobiles and cars that go by, at all hours, quite often within 25ft of the house. It is a big lake, we have a permanent out of one of the resorts and never set up within 150 - 200 ft of another. I try to be as curtious as possible, but my needs are different than others.

Gadget

I fished on the pond with a Honda 1000 operating during the day, and I'll have to say that it did not affect the fish at all. We had a underwater camera and the fish came in and took the bait. As matter of fact, I pulled a 29" out of the hole that was next to the power source. I would have to agree with the others that a Honda is extremely quiet. Heck,we probably made more noise in the fish house than the generator did. On the other hand, I can see your point on some of the other generators that are used to power up a house. You can also look at it this way. The traffic on the pond is extremely heavy both in the open water season and the ice season. How does this affect the fishing??????

OH, how many times has it happened? Your getting ready to leave, you have lines down. Start the TRUCK and fish on!!!

If everyone used the newer, Honda generators than it wouldn't be so bad. It's those old tooth-rattlers that pound and thump across the lake.

Mostly it's a aesthetic concern, although I do really believe it hurts the fishing. Sound travels very well across the lake and it's too bad that so many people use those $#@!! things. Hopefully they will all get old, and break.

I still think that for 99% of the folks, they could provide for all their electrical needs with a pair of deep-cycle batteries. But I understand why there may be extenuating cicrucmstances (medical, etc.) that require their use.

BradB must have been out to sloppy joes this weekend ?? I had my (Honda)Gen. out there but it was up in my truck bed,and I ran a long cord from my shack to a pole in my stake pocket,and I then backed my truck up as far as I could away from everyone.It was all good till about dark when my upwind neighbors showed up with their briggs&stratton piece of $#*^ and of course aim it at me!!They did not run it all night though,and mine was off at 10 (ran out of movies). BTW has anyone caught fish out there yet? we have not...waiting for good ice in the mud.

I am on your side brad. It is getting out of hand. I haul 3 deep cycle batteries every time. We watch movies on tv, run hole lights everything and never have a problem. If ya wanna watch football on your dish go to the bar. Otherwise stay close to shore with all the yahoo's and I wont complain. I drive to mille to leave the city and noise. NOT to listen to your generator "honda or not." Keeping it in your truck is a good idea and I thank you. I am not concerned about the fish spooking just my sanity as I look at the stars at night and hear a chorous of generators. This was my little vent.

To those who complain about generator noise (Honda or not), they obviously have not experienced a Honda. You stand 20 feet away from it and you won't be able to hear anything. If you don't believe me then try it.

Good topic, I agree. I use one deep cycle battery and am able to power the tv, sat box, and inverter. plus the occasional lights for about 6 hours. It is not easy or cheap to just pick up and move when you have permanant and someone sets up close to you. You can debate the fact of the noise 'hurting' the fishing, although I don't think it can possibly help.

These Hondas may be great, but that doesn't matter if most people are out there with some archaic ice shaking monstrosity.

I agree that most generators are loud & very annoying, and I would never want to fish near anyone using these. I also agree that these people are rude for using them. My rebuttal to these people are to go & buy a Honda. They are much more expensive, however will make up for the price in fuel savings. I have the Honda 2000 and it can run for 9 hours on a gallon of gas. It has enough power to run everything you need, including a microwave. It has an 'idle down' option, which means it runs on idle unless more power is needed. When it's on idle, it is quieter than a car on idle. The only time it has to kick in is if you use either a microwave, coffee maker, or toaster, and it immediately goes back to idle as soon as you're finished using those items.

Regarding the Honda 2000, you can sure buy a lot of deep cycle batteries for $1000.00. I still don't see a compelling reason for a generator over a set of batteries. I suppose if you really need to run a microwave, toaster, and coffee maker....but are those really necessary? To each his own, I suppose.

I upgraded from a cheap coleman generator to a Honda 2000. There is no comparison. If I can't hear the generator from inside my house then how can it bother anyone that may be around me? If it does bother someone around me giving the amount of noise the generator actually makes, obviously you're too close. Show some respect and class and stop getting right on top of people. That goes for the clowns in the summer that feel it's necessary to move right on top of someone when a fish is caught.

Good point MF!! That has bothered me the most about fishing in minnesota.Why is it that people cannot give their fellow sportsman room to enjoy their space while fishing?
I think that if I can cast and hit your Boat (or ice house if I were casting in winter)You are too &%$# close!! That goes for driving or riding or boating also.
I may be off a bit but isn't Mille Lacs Lake 142 thousand acres?Can I have just one to fish over?

One time I had a guy set up about 110 feet away from me then he set up his generator on a 100 foot cord from his house, problem was the generator was only 10 feet from me. He got a little ticked when I threatened to cut the cord.
If you have too run one not in my back yard please, if I can hear it you are too close. If you must run one please be courteous and stay well away form everyone else.

I moved my house out to the gravel on Friday and was the first person in the area. Wouldn't you know it that by Friday night I had TWO people with the crummy old, loud generators within 100 yards of my house. One was to the north, one the south, and I got to hear the lousy things in stereo.

By Sunday night a third was added.

Why are you people so darn rude? Please move well away from other houses, or spend the money and get one of those new Honda generators that other folks can't hear.

Blah!