• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crappies On the Pond?

early007

I've seen many Pictures of ice fisherman with crappies from Mille Lacs. I've never tried for them. I would guess you might get them in the southern bays. Are they tough to find? I'm wondering does anyone target them in the winter? Maybe its better at late ice? Any info on general areas or structure to try would be great. Thanks.

Jason

This sounds like a question for Scott or Adam.

You guys ever find any crappies on the big pond in the winter?

Only time I've ever seen them is in the spring in the bays on the south side.
The rest of the year, who knows?

I have heard guys catch crappies on the north side of shermans point in 20-23 feet of water on some inside turn. Suposidly they are suspended and you have to drill alot of holes to find them. This is all hearsay of course and I Have never actually talked to a person who has actualy caught crappies there. I do hear they get crappies in wig-wam in the reeds in early june and if thats true( I have a cabin in wig-wam right next to a big reed patch and have never caught a crappie) they probly roam around the bay. I did see about a 6 inch crappie under my dock this fall in wig-wam but who knows, there is a crappie hole in Jacks Twin Bay but I guess they might move in there in the evening or midnight you never know.

I have caught a lot of crappies in the so called Big Pond but never through the ice. The person who figures out how to find them in the winter will be famous…

The crappies aren't plentiful, but if you do run into them they are big. Macs/Jacks Twin Bay has been know to put them out, as well as some other odd ball spots on the lake. It is just as likely to find them by accident as it is searching for them. If you find a school of suspended fish out on the main lake they could be crappies, but they would more likely be tullibees or walleyes. (yes walleyes)

------------------
www.millelacsguideservice.com
Minnesota, the land of 10,000 fishing trips....

Adam: We put a premanent on the ice yesterday out of Macs Twin Bay. Not over Henneping yet as the ice is still iffy. This cold should help.

On the way off last night I noticed a few houses just outside of the Marina Bay to the north point. Whats your opinion, eyes, crappies? Not real famailar yet with this area. Nice reports from you and Scott, and some nice fish. Say hi to him for me. Bill Turck

Outsider- do you catch crappies in the spring or in the summer, I can catch them in the spring and in the summer but only little ones that are still in the marinas in the summer. I havent been able to find them in the summer on the main lake.

I have heard of them being caught out from Izaty's. I belive they have a marina, never been there so I don't know for sure. A gal that I worked with say's she and her husband catch them there in the winter all the time. But hearsay ya'know. I can check with her. and get back to you.

Lets just call the twin bays its real name, Jacks twin bay.

You can catch Crappies off the docks at the Harbor in Garrison in the spring. Maybe nearby in the winter.

Mike

Is there a gill population on the big pond? I don`t ever see any posts on them for this lake. Thanks

I remember from this summer the boys from Mille Lacs Guide Service were on a hot bluegill bite. From the pics that I saw they were some dandies.

Jason Erlandson
Dave's Sportland Bait and Tackle
Nisswa MN
218-963-2401

bhorn- yes there are gills in the big pond, I catch them sometimes in the summer and there preaty nice.

I will try to answer some of this. Yes there are gills in Mille Lacs. A couple spots to find gills are Cove and Waukon Bays. These two bays basically act as lakes in themselves. The gills never really leave them. They are easier to catch during the spawn because the concetrate in certain locations.

The crappies in Mille Lacs are a little different. The population is not huge by any means but the size is nice. The best time to catch them is in the spring obviously. They concentrate in the shallows. You have to hit it right to get the really big ones. They are in and out fairly quick. The smaller fish seem to hang around for quite some time and can ofter be caught into summer.

The winter bite can be tough because of all the deep water in the lake and the competition. The area outside of Twin Bays, Waukon, Cove and Shermans point have all been known to produce crappies in the winter. However, finding a school of the big ones is a needle in a haystack. That is why you don't hear a lot about winter slabs on the pond.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

The Crappies move out real fast in the spring, I never get into a mess of big ones, it always " Your a weekend too early" or "should have been here last weekend" or " Couldent keep the 14 inchers of the hook wensday and thursday." They always move up the days im not there and then are gone. Biggest crappie I have pulled out of the big pond is a 12 incher.