• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Platte/Sulivan,Rck,Bldg,L.L.,Pvy

I moved up to Platte Lake last spring and was wondering if there are any FM ice fishermen that frequent the 6 lakes within 5miles of my place? Let me know and maybe we can compare notes or even get together to fish.

I haven't gotten into anything on Sullivan at all this winter, but have found a good spot for a dusk/night crappie bite on Platte and even pulled a nice Eye last week along with some bullheads. Of course getting small pike and perch on Platte during the day. I really want to catch a monster slab Crappie this winter, but the biggest I've gotten so far on any of the area lakes is a 12" off Platte. I know Sullivan has a rep. for giving up some huge Crappies and suspect all the area lakes have the Potential to produce huge Crappies.

Haven't hit Peavy or Rock yet this winter and may not. I would like to learn Platte and Sullivan this winter.

Basspastor,
I grew up on Sullivan back in the 60,s and early 70's. My grandfather had a cabin on the North -Northwest side of the lake. There are a couple of bars on the west side that I remember fishing as a kid that held Crappies and eyes.
My dad has a picture of him and one his brothers holding a stringer of big crappies from the early 1950's that they caught on Sullivan. I believe they caught them in a bay on the south side of the lake.
When my Grandfather pasted away in 1971, the family decided to sell the cabin (only $18,000) and I have not been up there since then. Miss the old place and the lake. Lot's of good memories.
With much envy,
LOW Lover

I would give little whitefish a try. there are some 1-2#ers in there that are fairly common. You also have a great chance at 20+ pike there.

The only way you can access Little Whitefish is to go to Blauers resort and I don't know ifinz they are open.
Good Luck!

The only way you can access Little Whitefish is to go to Blauers resort and I don't know ifinz they are open.
Good Luck!

Basspastor.....i live on platte lake but havent fished it hard this winter yet but am planning on it monday tuesday next week..i'm always looking for someone to go with and maybe learn a thing or two...you can email me at [email protected]

Hey Basspastor,
Since you moved up to Platte, I've kind of lost track of how to get ahold of you.
I've been up to Mille Lacs twice this month. I'd let you know when I'm in the area again, if you e-mail me.

[email protected]

donwalleye.jpg

Walleyellbe that looks like a summer pic, how'd you do this winter? Hey B.P. Give whitefish a try. Tell timber bay camp who you are, I bet they'd let you out. I'll call you.

when you talk about little whitefish are you talking about whitefish lake a half mile west of wig-wam bay?? I have a cabin on wig-wam and duck hunt whitefish every year. I have never fished there but was planing on fishing crappies there this winter/summer. Where would a guy start?

that would be the one. there are a couple different areas to fish. I would NEVER EVER EVER DRIVE on whitefish. way to many springs. My grandfather had a cabin there for 35 years just sold it a year ago. I put at least 4 snowmoblies thur in the middle of jan. Just be careful. back to fishing. 24ft of water in the back left corner by the reeds is a great place to start you'll need a vexilar they come through about 5-10ft off the bottom. I would find the spot during the day drill 15-20 holes and let it sit while fishing for pike along the weed line there.
another good spot is the sunken island about 18 ft. last spot would be back behind the island by the camp. if you want more info. e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks mudman have you ever duck hunted whitefish before?? It can be good at times. Some years its good, some years its real bad. It seems that people that live on the lake hunt it everyweekend. The same three duck boats are out there everyweekend. Lots of wood ducks but not much else. Last year while seting up my decoy spread I saw a nice bass maybe 3 pounds.

the duck hunting used to be awesome about 15 years ago. there used to be a lot of wild rice. but then I think it just got ate out. there used to be 1000's of coot on the lake. best spot for duck hunting is back in the second lost lake. or the bay across from the island. I still like to hunt it once in a while if I'm up pulling cranks in the fall.

mudman- There is barly any wild-rice left on the lake, very sparse. I dont have a duck boat so I have to hunt the WMA on the south- south east end in front of all those weeds in that half of the lake. Not very good hunting there but some guys do decent about 200 yards in front of us in duck boats. If you see a confused looking teenager with about a dozen carrylite mallerds and 1 scaup decoy hunting right in front of the WMA come over. I am the only one that hunts the WMA. I usually hunt it the first two weekends and then the weekend after pheasent opener then im in SW MN for the rest of the year. There is still a ton of coots in there, hundreds raft up in those weeds, most of the ducks I shoot or shoot at come from a bog pond behind me in the WMA so I cant see them till there past me, and you cant drop a duck in the bog pond cause its over your head, and you cant get passed the bog before the bog pond, I have tried and it took me an half hour to walk 80 yards. That was a mistake.

Anyone have a report on Sullivan? I'm going to be up there this weekend and some friends will be expecting some quick action on panfish n pike.

Any thoughts on the western bay's bar? Looks like it drops quickly from 10' to 20'.

Do crappies suspend in deeper water in this lake?

Thank you for any info.

DB

I haven't been having much luck on Sullivan and haven't heard of anyone doing that well. I got into a school of Rock Bass the other day but that was it. Talked to a guy who got one eye and 3 Pike in 17feet. He said it's been slow.

Roosterslayer
you don't need a duck boat to do well, get yourself a 12-14' boat and a 15 horse motor. If you where the 2 lost lakes are it will take you about 40 min or so to get back there but you will pile up the woodys!! not bad for mallards either. if you got about 2 dozens decs and by all means get a mojo or something like that. there are plenty of places you can pull your boat ashore in the woods and walk to the other side with chest wadders on shore

Can somebody comment on the ice conditions? Are people driving on Sullivan? I'd be taking out an Explorer.

I will post our results of this weekend. Thanks.

DB

Sullivan/Platte has a river current in it and springs too...have a bowl of hot soup with you...you may need it.

------------------
"Don't drop your keys down the icehole!"

Fished Sullivan's west bay, nice drop off from 9' to 21', but little action.

Two flags, one pike in 9' of water on shiners.

Tons of perch and one small walleye in 15'. Waxies and crappie minnows. Only two good-sized. About 18" of ice.

DB

• 2 weeks later...

collegeoutdoorsman and I have finaly met and are putting in some serious time out on Platte in his permanent.

Highlights so far are CO watching a small pike inhale his minnow on the Aqua View and the catching of 6 different species so far from the one spot. Also talking about Fishing, Football, and bagging on Cyberfish.

The action hasn't been fast except for a flurry at dusk

Hey, Putz, ya take any time off of all your fun ta find out if the Mikes are gonna join us on da ded C?

• 1 month later...

Thought I would bring this to the top to see if anyone besides me, Cyb, and Collegeoutdoors have been hiting this area.

On Platte we have been getting small perch and sunnies along with some nice dusk bite crappies. Along with some phenominal catches of largemouth bass of all things and of coarse a few pike give some action now and again. We are fishing above weeds in 12 to 7 feet of water near an inside turn on a depression on a flat. Waxies for sunnies and minnows for Crappies.

Anyone else got a late ice report in the area?

Was out on Sullivan last night for a few hours out of the West access. I got 4 nice 10" Crappies and missed a couple as well. The fish were deep in about 44ft of water. If you are thinking of driving on the ice you better have 4 wheel drive or you can't go very far. The roads are all rutted really bad.

Was out on Platte late afternoon early evening. Got some real slabs in 8ft of water. Missed one Crappie that was huge. Probably a lb plus.

After Dark I could only get little ones.

Have any of you guys heard any good reports off of Camp lately? I haven't been up there this year, but would like to check it out soon. -Musky_tail05

My buddy fishes camp once in awhile and he says the crappies are small, you might want to try elsewhere.

I heard somebody got a ticket for not having purchased their licence yet on Camp.

I was told this when I finaly got around to purchasing mine for the year after having fished several times this month without it.

Basspastor:
I have a place on Platte that I use most every weekend in the summer. I don't get up much in the winter because of other obligations.I fish both Platte and Sullivan and appreciate your posts about the lakes. It would be nice to share info with someone who fishes the same lakes!!

I will be living on Sullivan this spring and summer while my new house is being built. My family has had a cabin on this lake since i was born and i am ashamed to say that i dont know the lake well at all. I would also like to talk to someone who knows the lake as well.