• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend Report 12/27-12/28

Scott Steil

Our groups put a lot of time in on the water this weekend and with some patients it paid off. We continue to target trophy walleye and the fish are impressive.

This weekend we had 3 fish around the 8 pound mark and one that had to be well over 9. These fish were all 28 inch plus, but it just depends how fat they were.

With the clear skies and high pressure this weekend the fish turned very finicky. It took every trick in the book to get them to go, and it was slow at that. In the end we were rewarded with a total of 8 fish over 26 inches and another handful of smaller fish. Not fast by any means but well worth the wait for most of our clients!

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Scott- the bite was slow down here in the cities as well, what sort of things do you try when you know it is a tough bite? I had a few eyes come right up to my spoon this weekend, but could not get them to bite, and they didn't go for the deadstick either.

Fished thurs., sat., and Sun. Worked up and down the rocks in front of the Red Door.
Had a big pike or something on a tip-up thurs.didn't get to see it, no walleye. Saturday brought a camera out there to look around saw a few fish, couldn't get them to bite. Sunday was too nice out not to be on ice, poked around for a while with the camera, planned on leaving early, got stuck fishing the dusk bite once I started to see some nice eyes rolling through. Once again nothing biting. Thought I'd see a little more activity with the camera. Seemed to be just a fish here and there, no real #'s. Those I saw were really nice though.

Tried just about everything I could, presentations, depth, bottoms, etc. I wasn't expecting too much given the High pressure and blue bird skies. Anybody else fish the north end, if so how did it go? Flats?
Thanks to all

Fishingchef - Are people driving vehicles out of Red Door yet? I put my house out of Myr Mar and haven't been up for a few weeks. Hoping it gets out at least by New Years weekend. How much ice where you were at? How far out were you?

fished the north part of weimer flat on friday, nothing doing. had the camera down and there were tons of small perch on the camera all day long. moved on top, on the edge, off the edge - didn't matter. didn't see a walleye.

moved to garrison reef at dusk, nothing. marked a few but no takers.

going out from red door, there was about 7 inches by shore, then got to about 10 inches from the 1st break to about 1 1/4 miles out. from there, watch out. we found a section of ice that was about 40 yards across, that extended as far as we could see in either direction from malmo towards garrison. This section had only about 1 1/2 inches and looked to be just recently glazed over. It maybe was wide open as of wednesday or thursday.

Hope it gets better soon

I fished out of Barnacles on Saturday. I only kept one 13.5" jumbo. Everything else was small perch. I had the camera out and the perch were around my bait all day long. I would have 10-12 small perch staring at my bait most of the day. The perch were not eager to bite, which was fine as they were too small (3-6").

I wanted to move to deeper water in hopes of getting away from the small perch. I was on foot and the ice is so rough that walking was difficult while pulling a portable loaded with gear.

There was a good 11" of ice about 1/2 mile south of Barnacles. I heard the rock pile about 1/2 mile west of Barnacles only had 4".

Marmot

Fishn,
I'll second that top notch i was out in the portable with scott our fishin wasn't the best but scott and adam were working,both good guy's I would recomend these guy's to anyone.Scott thanks for some of the tips hope to see you up there again.

Brent

------------------
"FISH TO LIVE"
"LIVE TO FISH MILLE LACS"

I have been driving on the lake since Friday night. We have about 13 inches out to where we are fishing. After that the ice gets quite a bit thinner. We did a lot of running around on the lake with 4 wheelers this weekend. The ice is still shifting a lot so be careful.

When the bites gets tough like this weekend we generally give up the aggressive approach and wait it out with livebait and tip-ups. Remember, the ice is clear so a lot of activity or movement on the ice will take care of your fishing for some time.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287

I was one of the guys who had the pleasure of renting out the sleeper Scott, Adam & Derek provide. What a weekend! The action wasn't fast by any means, but the spot they had us set up on wasn't one for catching numbers. We were targeting BIG fish, and they were there. I'll post up some pics later today.

For any of you looking to for a rental, these guys are the ones to go through. The sleeper we had was immaculate, and the service was top-shelf. I will be happy, and confident, in recommending the Mille Lacs Guide Service ( http://www.millelacsguideservice.com )to anyone!

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

I went out on the south side at Lyback's on Saturday. Did pretty good on perch and got a 18" walleye. The ice was about 10" thick. Very few people were driving out. Mostly on 4 wheelers. There was a pretty good crack about a mile out. All the fish were caught before.

The bite remains the same. Yesterdays clients caught a real monster. In total he ended up with a 26, 27 & a 29 inch plus hog that was released.

The big fish bite is slow but steady. You hate to miss one, as it could be that 12 pounder we are after this year. Who is it going to be? We will find out.

The biggest fish so far this year has been a 29 inch plus fish that went roughly 10 pounds. We will keep you posted.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I too can vouch for Scott and Adam. Both are top notch anglers and guides.

Now add in one of their Sleepers and you have a very good ice fishing situation.

I recmmend you check them out at

http://www.millelacsguideservice.com

or give them a call at:
(320)293-3287

Don't wait too long. I suspect they will fill up fast.

Hey Everybody!!!!!

This is Fish-N-Chester's brother. I also wanted to thank Scott & Adam for the wonderful time on the pond last weekend!!!!! I must agree with the other's---Scott & Adam are TOP NOTCH!!!!!!! My 8 year old son (Chaseman) was with and boy let me tell you---He followed Scott around like a lost puppy. On the way home he said---You know dad, those guys are COOL. What more can you say???? Thanks again Scott & Adam!!!!!!!!! I would recommend these two in a heart beat.

Thanks to all. It's been fun fishing and meeting new people......especially when the fish are cooperating. It will be a short X-mas break for me and then back to pounding water. Thanks again, Adam

------------------
Minnesota, the land of 10,000 fishing trips....

Very short Adam!! LOL

Just because Adam is gone doesn't mean we aren't still fishing. I was out yesterday afternoon and iced 2 walleye in the 27 inch class and 2 dandy pike. The bite is still going, hopefully for 2 more months!! grin.gif

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287