• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Taking the girlfriend...

Eyewitness

Here's a thought...Check with Seguchie Resort just south of Garrison. Brought the girlfriend out there a couple of times ice fishing. The fishing is in close to shore, maybe 1/4 mile, and then you can hit the Blue Goose for dinner and some fun. It's worked for me so far. Otherwise go fish the East side and you can go to Hunters for dinner and drinks. Personally I like the west side better for fishing and fun but that's a personal preference. Have fun where ever you go!

Don't fish cove bay. Find a nice break line in one of the bays on the west side. You'll find jumbo perch and walleyes. Make sure your gf has the warmest boots money can buy or your day on the ice will be short. I know theres a breaker out in front of Eddys and I think ice conditions are questionable there.

Rocky Reef. We usually walk out there as early as possible. (very do-able distances) Bite can be very good at various depths for wally or perch and often both in the same spot! We haven't been up yet, but might be there Sunday.

I second the best boots you can buy, they will make the difference between this being the first time you ice fish together and the last! (consider a couple of the disposable hand foot warmers in the boots) My wife now loves to ice fish, but I had to build a big house with a biffy in it! She wants to fish so often that the portable work got too much. Plus, no biffy - no brewski! (she''l fish all day, but be like a camel. Nothing in nothing out!) At least for my gal, she won't use a bucket. (we only have a couple each time out, but she's a renter, not a buyer.)

Also agree, definetly not Cove bay! It will be a mad house.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe! You never know, take care of her and she'll catch the fish and then you'll have a fishing partner anytime you want. First time my dad and I took my wife (then girlfriend) to the pond, we got into the eyes! Dad - 4 my girl - 8, and Gadget - 3! It was late may and I was mostly taking her fish off and baiting her hook!

Gadget

[This message has been edited by Insp Gadget (edited 12-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Insp Gadget (edited 12-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 12-18-2003).]

Just make sure she dresses warm enough - that'll be the biggest obstacle for you. If she's not too outdoorsy - maybe you could borrow her some clothes if she doesn't have the right stuff. Start with at least one pair of long underwear. I sometimes wear two. Does she have a snowmobile suit? or insulated bibs and a good parka? Lots of layers on top, too. Long Underwear, turtle neck, and a heavy sweater or sweatshirt. Good Boots - a must! I ALWAYS use those toe warmers and keep a set of hand warmers in my pocket. And a hat. Pack an extra face mask if you can - they aren't pretty but they keep you warm.

Next, don't have her carry/drag any more than she handle and have an extra bucket for her to sit on and to use when she needs to go to the bathroom.

Lastly, If she is freezing or having a TERRIBLE time get her off the ice! Just kind of cold or walking around and checking things out is OK.

Then start catching those fish and get her "hooked"!!

Lots of places to eat on the lake - ask at the resorts, bait shops or gas stations - they'll let you know.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes!!

Vickie

If you make it to the North EAST side stop by CASTAWAY'S great food and good drinks best broasted chicken around the lake I heard that the perch are biting in ISLE bay but don't take my word one it

My suggestion would be to bring some wax worms with. If you aren't getting any walleyes or big perch, throw on the wax worms and a small panfish jig for her. The lake is loaded with last years perch hatch that are now 5-7". Most people consider them a nuisance right now, but if your girlfriend is getting bored it can keep her occupied while you're waiting for the hog.

------------------
www.millelacsguideservice.com
Minnesota, the land of 10,000 fishing trips....

If it is your girlfriends first time ice fishing I would recommend you make it comfortable for her have a good portable with heat or rent a nice house.If she has to wear a ton of clothes or be outside for a long time she probably isnt going to like it.If you are familiar with rocky I would go there you dont have to go out very far to fish and they have a resturant there to.

Now I know some of you must have experience in this field, so I need some answers/advice. I plan on fishing Mille Lacs this Saturday and my girlfriend would like to go also. She is not the most outdoorsy type person, but she does like to summer fish. I'm the first to admit that I don't know the lake very well. I've only been out in front of Rocky Reef resort a few times and out of the Red Door once. I've had good fishing there and some slow times also. A friend of mine suggested Cove Bay. Can we walk out from there? I guess I'm just looking for a general area that would have a decent bite going on (even small perch would do.) It would also be great if anyone can recommend a good place to eat after fishing...nothing fancy...just a good bar-burger, fries/onion rings, and friendly people. Thanks!

First of all, thank you for all of your input. We didn't catch any keepers, but it was fun---and she wants to go again! We went out just a little north of Rocky Reef Resort, out from the Subway/Conoco station. I couldn't get to where I wanted to go, because she was a little freaked out about the clear ice and seeing the bottom of the lake. After coaxing her out as far as she was going to go, we set up (fairly shallow). She thought it was cool to watch the fish come in to look at the jig. I kept the trip short. We just fished late afternoon 'til sundown and left before it was dark. One big plus from this trip is that she got to see what I have and what would make it easier---like a new auger! I have an old 8" Mora and we took turns cranking out the holes. (After that, she didn't think the ice was too thin!) She thought that was hard work, and she couldn't believe that's how I punch a hole everytime I go fishing. Then she kept asking me what brand would be best, what size auger, electric or gas, etc, etc. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I think I might be getting one for Christmas!!! So, thanks again! It was fun and successful!

89Bronco

Very happy for you! My wife loves to fish and that makes my life sooo much nicer. It is greaqt that her first trip included the "tv" look at the lake through the ice. that is always an interesting treat.

Congrats, and good luck on the next trip!

Gadget

89bronco?
Did Santa bring you a gas auger? grin.gif

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 12-26-2003).]

grin.gif
ackotz,

Yes! I got an 8-inch Strikemaster Lazer Express from her. So it turned out to be a GREAT fishing trip!!! Taking it up to LOW and Rainy Lake today. We'll be out on Mille Lacs again real soon.

Thanks for all of the information everyone shared!

Awesome!
One word of advice, if you haven't used a Strikemaster auger, do not lean on it to cut your holes!! Just let it start cutting by itself or you'll be replacing blades a lot!
Enjoy it...they are the best (in my opinion)...signed, Johnny "Lazer" Strikemaster!

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 12-28-2003).]

Good for you Bronco, now i got a question, how the heck are you going to get her see that you need a FL18 for easter???????