• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North End Ice Report?

fishingchef

Just checking to see how the progress is on the North End, Fishable Ice yet? Haven't checked things out since Thurs. /fri. last week. Should be soon with the cold weather on its way. Thanks to all who respond.

Nothing has changed on the north end since then end of last week. The wind and warm temps have kept a lot of the north end free of ice other than in sheltered areas. Ice in the bays as well as ice on the south and west ends is starting to make progress....bring on the cold temps.

------------------
www.millelacsguideservice.com
Minnesota, the land of 10,000 fishing trips....

[This message has been edited by Adam Adler (edited 12-08-2003).]

I drove by the north end Saturday, from 169 to the Red Door. There was ice as far as you could see, no open water anyplace. I stopped at Tutt's in Garrison, and the gal there reported 5 1/2 inches of ice in Garrison Bay.

i drove around the entire lake yesterday and ended up fishing in cove bay which had 8 inches of ice. the ice on the north end looks new but that didnt stop 2 carefree guys from walking out in front of the wealthwood access. you wouldnt see me on that new of ice

Hey Adam where do you get your information? The lake is froze. My neighbor has been wacking some fish right infront of his house on the north end. I'll be taking my 8 * 12 out on sunday if there is 6 inches or better.

------------------
Shut up and fish!

I was around the lake personally. I got out and checked many spots, and yes there was plenty of open water. Even down by Rocky Reef south to Weekends Resort there were spots of open water. These spots were not just cracks with open water, there were areas bigger than a football field. As of right now, I'm sure with the cold weather these spots will be covered with ice, but it won't be thick. You have areas like Garrison bay and Vineland bay that had 5" and I'm sure they now have 6+". Cove bay is over 10" in spots. Once you get south of Eddy's down to Rocky Reef the ice was only 2", once again with open water in spots. I'm not saying there isn't plenty of safe ice out there, but Mille Lacs is a big body of water with varing ice conditions across it. I'm just trying to get people to use caution when going out there. With the forecast weather there will be good ice for fishing almost everywhere on the lake. Ice will be building fast. I'll be on the lake tomorrow and will give an updated report.

------------------

I like the fact that you are on the cautious side Adam. Quick question. I spoke to the owner of Rocky Reef Resort today and he said there will be walkable ice by Thursday. I'm heading up Thursday and want to fish the Reef. In the past I have always seen the owners of the resort act on the side of caution. Sometimes even more so than the immediate resort owners around them. What do you think about walkable ice by Thursday? 2 opinions are always better than one.

Fishfearme, Because your friend is whacking fish on the North end certainly doesn't mean there is safe ice there yet. I would encourage people to proceed with caution on the main lake. There are some very thin spots as well as some open water yet.

Adam has been checking the ice regularily and will be checking it again tomorrow. Again, we encourage everyone to proceed with caution.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service

Bailey, I can give you a more certain answer after being out there tomorrow. RR should be good to go for walking, especially with the cold temps. ATV travel won't be too far off in many places. I'll get back tomorrow pm or have Scott update on the condtions.

Thanks Adam. Good luck tomorrow. We are actually driving up tomorrow night, so after about 7 or 8 pm Im disconnected until I get back.

Here's a qoute from Steve Fellegy, on what he saw yesterday on the north end:

In typical early ice fashion, Mille Lacs split open today behind strong north winds. Open water and waves rolling were visible from the north shore, from Garrison to Malmo, about 1/2 mile out and looked to be at least a half mile wide in some places. So....it ain't ready yet! But cold predicted temps the next three days could put it over the hump and make it about 5 inches thick ...even on the new ice.

#49 steve fellegy

Let's be careful out there!

I started out on the north end this morning. It was nice to get out and catch a few fish, but the wind wasn't too forgiving. I left the north end so that I didn’t need a boat to get back to shore. I decided to check the ice in other areas.

There was an ATV not too far from shore in Garrison Bay. I didn’t see any open water near Wigwam Bay or south of Sherman’s Point. Ice was about 6” south of Sherman’s Point to Indian Point. South of Eddy’s down to Week Ends Resort the ice was around 4” with patches of open water. Some of the patches were pretty big and getting bigger. And, of course your bays on the south are seeing ATV travel as well as some bigger houses.

I ventured out from Cove in the afternoon to see how far out I could get. The main bay has around 10”. Once you get near Mazominee Point the ice goes down to 7”. Just out from the point there is a pressure ridge that was groaning in the wind, and after playing near open water in the morning I opted not to cross it and press my luck a second time around. When I was out and about I saw a few walleyes through the ice in less than 10’ of water....something to think about.

The wind is going to die down tomorrow and the open spots are going to freeze over. Some spots are near shore others are further out. Use caution when traveling out there.

------------------

Adam was out on the North end this am, lots of open water, and you didn't need to go 1/2 mile out. He is now fishing the West side and reports that the ice is breaking up pretty bad, lots of open water around him.

He picked up a few walleye this AM and a few keeper perch but Lots of small perch. He also said that the ice conditions today were better this AM, but are now getting worse.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service

Thanks for the report, Adam. All of us appreciate the info. I might make a run this Sat. or Sun. if I can get my bro to go along. Thanks again.

Adam, just wanted to say thanks for the daily posts as of recent. Ihave been at LOTW and red lake a couple times each this year so far, but Mille Lacs is what I consider my home waters, as I only live a little over an hour away. Been to cove bay perchin' a couple times but this weekend looks to be the breakout weekend for Mille Lacs. I'll be up tomorrow and Saturday on the west side. It has been good to get information from a reliable source. Many of us out there appreciate all the reports you have posted.
Thank You

Hammer On

Adam, just wanted to say thanks for the daily posts as of recent. Ihave been at LOTW and red lake a couple times each this year so far, but Mille Lacs is what I consider my home waters, as I only live a little over an hour away. Been to cove bay perchin' a couple times but this weekend looks to be the breakout weekend for Mille Lacs. I'll be up tomorrow and Saturday on the west side. It has been good to get information from a reliable source. Many of us out there appreciate all the reports you have posted.
Thank You

Hammer On

any more updates on the north end ice? I'm looking to go out of wealthwood/red door area on friday & hit the close flats during the daytime, if possible. will be on an ATV, or on foot if I have to.

I was out on the pond the last 2 days. The north end looks great. 9 - 11 inches across the entire north end. The north wind to day opened up a crack a ways out from shore. Except in front of myr mar where it was less than a 1/4 mile out.

------------------
Shut up and fish!

fish -
thanks for the reply. will this crack give us trouble getting out to the garrison reef? some of the close flats are only about 1 mile or so out from shore from the wealthwood area, can I get there on an ATV?

I hate that pressure ridge thats always in Garrison bay, it always takes a couple extra weeks for it too freeze enough for a bridge to be put across it then you have to sit in the sand for a couple weeks.

I couldn't see the crack around Garrison reef. It might be farther out from shore there. There is atleast a dozen permenants on the reef. They got out there last weekend. Bring some planks, you might need them. A buddy of mine should have had them on Winni yesterday, they got 2 atv's wet driving in a crack that had drifted in.

------------------
Shut up and fish!