• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anchor Suggestions

rabeye

I WAS UP FLOUNDERING LAST WEEKEND - OLD ANCHOR WITH NEW BOAT DIDN'T CUT IT. I SUSPECT 50' OF ROPE WASN'T ENOUGH - HAVE A "RIVER" ANCHOR THAT'S ABOUT 15LBS. ANY IDEAS FOR MY PURCHASE TODAY? I'D LIKE TO SLIP BOBBER TONIGHT.

THANKS.

Rabeye,

I purchased a waterspike anchor for my 18' boat on ML and this didn't hold when the white caps came out. I set up the anchor exactly as recommended - 75' feet of rope and a chain leader. If you want peace of mind, buy a good, old Navy anchor. I purchased a 28lb anchor for my boat and this has held rock solid every time. I bought the black, rubber coated anchor at Fleet Farm for $30. The only drawback is retrieving the anchor. When you are trying to pull this up and it's hooked up in rocks and weeds, you are going to struggle a bit. This is the one area the waterspikes work greatly. Now when I head out on ML, I have both anchors with me and the wind/waves will dictate which anchor to use. Good luck.

DGS

Hey the best I can recomend is the Digger!!!
Holds every time an its easy to set. Sand rocks mud weeds no problem. Easy to retrive and comes up clean. I have a 15 pounder.

A 40# river anchor has worked best for me. I can hold up in the worst the lake has to offer for hours. It sucks pulling it in but if it holds, you only have to pull it in once. grin.gif

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 09-20-2003).]

If the 40# doesnt hold maybe try sinking a volkswagon..

I have never had a problem with the waterspike anchors. One can always go larger than recommended.. When I drop mine i will often back the boat until they sink in and hold.

I had the large waterspike for my 24 foot pontoon, 75 feef rope and 5 feet of heavy chain. Fished Mile many times in 2 and 3 footer and it never failed. Held so well the front wall of the toon got partially caved as the caps pounded it! Only trouble I ever had was getting it out once or twice in lake with clay bottom. couldn't just hold the rope and drive over it, had to tie it off! Much lighter to mess with too!

Good Luck!

Gadget

I have the medeum water spike for my 16 foot Lund Explorer, it would not hold at all untill I put 6 feet of chain at the anchor lead.Now it holds like a brick house, I did find that you have to have the right size spike for your boat size, the small spike won't hold an 18 footer, best get the huge one there.
Also they seem to need a little time to "dig in" when your in mud or sand, but it will hook up with the chain and enough rope.

Benny

I bought the Fortress anchor and I really like it. Anchor weights just 4 pounds 5 foot of chain and life time warranty.

Thanks for the feedback. I used the waterspike this weekend with 100 ft rope and held. 4 wally's with leach & slip bobber in about 7 feet. Others were trolling around reef and also caught fish.

1) 16.5" and 3) over slot limit went back.

The best way I have found to get any anchor, regardless of weight or style, to stay on the bottom in waves is to tie a heavy duty bungee onto the line. That way when your bow comes up on a wave, your anchor stays on the bottom.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin