• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sept 20th report

hwalleye18

Will be up trolling the rocks east side this weekend.I will post report monday should be a good weekend.GOOD LUCK FMERS!!!

------------------
"FISH TO LIVE"
"LIVE TO FISH MILLE LACS"

heye18-- where on the east side is good? going up on the 10th of oct. first time night fishing and could use all the help i can get. thanks

Ill be up Sat. night in the cove area. Ill keep my radio on 69 also. First time on the Mille Lacs with the new boat and cant wait to see how she does on some real water. GOODluck all.

Rolled the 4-wheeler,dislocated my shoulder.Still made it out caught 2-perch,2-walleyes-22,24"-1-northern-1-muskie 20 pounder fun.Fished hunters point from 6:30 to 11:00 pm.Silver and black husky jerk 14

------------------
"FISH TO LIVE"
"LIVE TO FISH MILLE LACS"

Crossin, was not good for us Saturday night. There were 5 launches from Eddys on Indian Point til about 10pm making trolling a bit of a challenge. We pulled 1 Smallie and 1 22" eye of the point. We saw the launches pull just a couple fish combined. Also saw a couple very small Walleye come of Rocky Reef at Dusk. We had some perch hits along the weeds earlier in the day but nothing after dark. The water was very murky, most likely from the weeds that are starting to decay. Water temp was 63.1 to 63.7. Hope others had better success. I have heard the best bite right now is in the early morning hours from 1 to dawn, but we left by 12:30am.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 09-22-2003).]

Fished Saturday night and we boated a 20" Walleye and 3 1/2 pound smallie near Hawkbill Reef. Also caught about 4 nice perch around 12". The smallie was caught on a Lindy Rig tipped with leech and the Walleye on 1/4 chartruese jig tipped with a leech. The Perch were all caught on slip bobbers or floating crawler rigs rigged with a no snag 1/4 oz bottom bouncer drifting across a sandy are northeast of Hawkbill reef. We aslo watched someone boat a 42" muskie (was it fat) around 8:30 pm near Hawkbill. He was trolling a #7 Shad Rap (not sure of color)with 6 lb. mono and no leader. Quite the feat! As an FYI, we bought some leeches at Pat's and some from Lundeen's. Pat's are a fresh hatch of very small leeches but Lundeen had some very nice size leeches still. It was rough weather this weekend with winds mostly from the South.

I fished big point and 3 mile friday night from 8-12:30 not even a nibble,another guy fished the early morning and picked up 3-4 walleyes saturday and sunday around sun rise.The best bite seemed to be the kids catching 3-4 inch perch off of the dock all day long.

Dean, did I get the info right. He was using 6 lb mono? I have caught a 42" Northern before and his Muskie made mine look emaciated. Just as you pulled in the Muskie my buddy caught the 3 1/2 lb smallie near your boat. This was also our first time fishing out on Mille Lacs at night and was it dark. Next time I am going to bring a GPS and mark the reefs in the day. I also noticed that one of the reefs had a light buoy. Did your boat mark it? I have never seen that before.

On Friday night...got out there 'round 11. The bite was good for 1 1/2 hours... managed a number of fish in 9-10' range on a rogue I had painted myself .
Switching colors was key, along with trying different depths. Things slowed for a bit... but we still managed fish. They completely shutdown for an hour... but at 4:30... they were ON. It was awesome. Clown was the top color, with a chrome rogue coming in a close second. The depths were 6-7' on the windward side. I was wishing the sun wouldn't come up! We ended up with another 25+ fish night, with the 2 biggest at 27 1/2" & 29". LOTS of fat 25-26 inchers. Add in 2 (yes 2) muskies (36" in the boat, and low 40 lost at the boat), and a VERY FAT 38" northern... it was a great night again.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

FNC, did you troll the windward sides of reefs in 6-7 feet of water or in deeper water at 6-7. We also found the majority of the fish to be in the 5-6 foot depth. We just didn't have any luck with the trolling. We tried to go slow with the motor, or drift with the strong winds parallel to reefs, etc. Only luck was with live bait.

MNBARRISTER
As you could tell my buddy was pretty excited. I couldn't get him to talk the fish out of the net until I mentioned I would be more than happy to have MY picture holding his fish. He could not grab his boga grip fast enough. LOL

He was using 10 lb. Power Pro line. The Muskie made some pretty nice holes in my net.

I just trolled the windward side. The tops pf the reefs I were fishing mainly came up to 6 ft. I'd get one here and there when I would just cover the top, but my best luck came right at the windward edge. It's tough to keep right on that edge at times, but when I did, I'd get fish.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

Fished the east side Saturday night from 9:30 till 1:30....caught 11 eyes....the biggest was 28"....the other 10 were between 16 and 21....sorry that I can't tell you exactly where because the spot is pretty small and it's hard for more than two boats to fish it....will say though that 4 to 6 feet seemed to hold the most fish and most effective cranks were #13 floaters....color didn't seem to matter as much as finding one with the right wobble....best speed was once again between 1.8 and 2.2....

Fished Saturday night, my buddy caught the 42" muskie mentioned above. Was trolling a #7 Jointed Shad Rap Red Crayfish for walleye. Since neither of us had caught a large muskie before I had nothing to compare it to but it looked pretty healthy to us.

Since this was our first time night fishing Mille Lacs obviously we were thrilled. Sorry to report that was the only bite we had all night. Sounds like we were probably going to fast.

P.S. The musky was released after a quick snap shot.

Dean