• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Big Laker

Leech Lake - Waboose Bay

Big Laker

First trip ever to Leech Lake. The weekend of January 22. Will be at a cabin on Waboose Bay, just south of the Leech River.

Does anyone have any advice on this area?

I don't have a clue and I don't think the guy that owns the cabin does either. Crappies, walleyes, whatever.

Muskydanno

Big Laker, Two things you will find primarily if you stick to that area are perch and Pike. I have fished Waboose extensively and it is primarily Pike water. The whole bay is mostly cabbage weed. You won't want to go into it too far as it will get shallow if you start getting into the reeds back there , but if you do it gets deep again as there is a trench back there that is close to 17 feet.

I would stay on the outer edge of the bay toward grassy point . There are plenty of pike to be had and perch are pretty plentiful too on days allthough they can be grubby depending on where and when you catch them. You can catch a mixed bag of fish right in front of federal dam on the pike bedswhere the river mouth comes out but beware of the ice depth if you get too close as there is current going through there. You can be quite a ways from shore and still be in shallow water there. We do well for walleyes in the summer too but have never tried for anything but northern or perch in the winter months. We usually do the tip up thing with a slo-poke or jig a bit style jig. I prefer green ,white or gold. There are some nice pike in there if that is your bag. I caught and released a 41-1/2 incher there one summer and have caught numerous fish in the 36 to 39 inch range allthough i think spearing has taken its toll in recent years as i have seen alot of houses there and large fish are harder to come by. As far as perch go , my preference would be a Northland buckshot spoon or swedish pimple in any variation of green / gold firetiger.

Good luck!

Big Laker

thanks for the information.

sounds like the cabin is very close to the river, so we may try there or head over to Walker.