• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Musky Picture 50"

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Musky caught by Eric Bateman

batemaneric-50inchmusky.jpg

Nice Fish and great picture!

Way to go Eric. Those Mille Lacs fish sure put on the girth. What a PIG!

That's mongo. And people swim in the lake? What was he using? Poodle?

Oh yeah another Magnificent Mille Lacs Monster.

Nice fish and congrats to Eric.

Matt

I know this will not sit well with a lot of you, but I chose to have it mounted. It weighed 36 pounds 4 ounces and a little over 50 inches.I have been blessed to catch numerous large muskies but never could cross the 50 inch plateau. This is the only musky that I will mount. I also have caught many 10 lb walleyes and chose to mount only one. My brother has caught well over a hundred muskies and has yet to catch one over 50 inches. I feel this is a fish of a lifetime for me.
Again I am sorry if I offended anyone by keeping this fish. I do believe in catch and release and I feel it is important. I also believe that mounting one trophy fish is not a crime but a blessing.

------------------
"A trophy is in the eye of the beholder"

That is a nice fish but it still baffles me as to why someone who practices catch and release would kill the fish of a lifetime when replicas are just as nice. Even if you kill the fish it's just a representation of what you caught. The real trophy to me would be the photo of me releasing the monster hung underneath my replica and telling people it's still out there. Yeah, it hurts.

Beauty of a fish. I would say a 50" is a catch of a lifetime, especially the first one. As for keeping it, I don't think it will hurt the Mille Lacs musky population much, I'm sure there are at least a few more 50+ out in that pond. And I'm still searchin for them!

Hope it turns out nice. That fish might break a bank on cost per inch!

mMh

Great fish Trophyhunter. Don't let guys like art get you down about keeping the fish of a lifetime. If art was really that concerned about keeping every muskie alive he shouldn't be muskie fishing at all because one could die on you anytime you hook one.

An avid Muskie fisherman that practices catch and realease, Probably kill more muskies than a person who only goes out 1-5 times a year and catches one over 50'' and mounts it, and this fish will likely be the only Muskie he evere keeps. Catch and release doesn't always mean the fish lives, Keeping one wont hurt, Until i's against the law to keep a Muskie than Keeping one to get mounted isn't that bad. Nice Fish.

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! Catch it, kill it, hang it proudly! You aren't hurting a thing! Good job!

nice fish, don't feel bad about keeping 1 50" fish, its not like its out of a small lake with asmall population of muskies, i fish the pond enough to know first hand your not going to hurt the skies by taking 1 out. art, you should be happy for this guy, he surely dosen't sound like the catch and kill everything type. i try my hardest to release fish properly, but i'm sure i have killed a couple reguardless if i see them swim away. its just part of fishing. NICE FISH and GOOD LUCK

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 08-02-2003).]

Great picture and congrats on a fish of a lifetime!
Isn't posting on any forum inviting responses on any side of the fence? My opinion is he had every right to keep for a mount,not the choice I made with my only 50". Maybe the opinions on both sides keeps the CPR debate alive and in the minds of people who need a push to conserve in every day fishing practices. Brian

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 08-02-2003).]

Sorry, I should have congratulated you. I'm still in search of that 50 inch fish. I'm not trying to get down on anyone, as I said, it just baffles me as to why people spend so much time catching and releasing fish but don't let the biggest ones go and get the resin replicas. I know I've killed my share of fish that I've tried to CPR but I know I gave it my best shot to keep it alive. Some will die. That is fishing. Of course we all know what can happen when the big fish keep getting taken out of any body of water no matter what size. Anyway, food for thought for those that will catch their fish of a lifetime in the future and again, that is a great fish. Nice and fat, congratulations.

Newcomer,do you know how many walleyes we are KILLING everyday because of DNR rules of catch and release, I am not proud of it but I released two floaters in the last two weeks. One 24 inch and a 27. WAKE UP!!!!!

Congrats on the great fish. Last year I caught and released a 52 inch by 26 inch Musky on Leech Lake. I have been debating if I should have release that fish or not ever since. I do have the pictures and some day will get a replica made. But I would really have liked to know how large that fish really was. Because I did not have a scale that was large enough that day I have heard that my fish was any place from 30 lbs to 50 lbs.

Once again great catch and do not let these guys get you down for keeping and mounting it. I got my first Musky mounted and so far have released the rest. The 52 inch is the largest so far but I like to think that it is not a fish of a lifetime just because if that is true my wife would be telling me not to spend so much time and money on fishing them.

WOW! What a monster! congrats, that is a fish of a life time, it won't hurt a thing keeping that monster, just more food for the other monsters out there!

I caught two muskies in my life one was caught about 3 years ago and it was small and I caught one this year and it was 51" long and I'm getting it mounted. I caught both of them fishing for smallmouth and I never fish for muskies.

Nice fish that is a once in a life time fish I would mount it.

Eric, That is a fish of a life time. Yes, personnally,I would have released her and gotten a replica. I have one, and the replica almost looks better than the real thing and will last forever with minimal maintenace. With that said, I cannot fault you for keeping the fish. I'm sure there was alot of adreneline at the time! By the way, is there an exciting story to follow? Fish of 10,000 casts or??

I knew this day was going to be magical when we got there. It was 6:30 in the morning and it was foggy. We pulled up to the spot and I was getting everything situated. Trolling motor in the water, lure on my rod, pliers and wire cutters out. I wasn't even in the water and my fishing partner said "There's one". It was his 5th cast. 40.5 incher. I caught my 50 incher less than an hour later. It was way out there at the beginning of my cast. I knew it was a nicer fish but not quite sure how big it was. When I got her next to the boat I figured she was upper 40's. After a couple of bulldog runs my partner netted her and it was only when she was in the bottom of the boat did I realize just how big she really was. From that point on I didn't care if I caught another fish.
The fish had other ideas though. We ended up fishing until 7:00 at night and believe it or not caught 7 and lost 3.( all between 38 and 42 inches)(one 50) It was the sinlge best day I have ever had musky fishing. I caught 5 that day and lost one. It normally takes me a good part of the summer for me to get 5. We had numerous follows also. I have been out 4 times since and it seems like I am now getting closer to my 10,000 casts. (ha-Ha)

------------------
"A trophy is in the eye of the beholder"

Only thing I think it will hurt will be his pocket book!LOL

Beautiful fish indeed!

Art: I believe he mentioned he has caught an released many other fish as well. Maybe his CPR efforts paid off catching a fish that has been caught before?

Too bad walleyes don;t get that big!

That must have bent your rod hard!

Jim W