• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sunflower Heater Problem

Scott M

Question

Hi. I have a Pauline 1000 Sunflower Heater. There is a piece of tiny width brass piping that broke tonight that connects to the heater. I can light the heater but it always goes out. The brass wire somehow functions as an emergency shutoff. To keep my heater running, I took a vicegrip out of my car and clamped it onto the starter button to keep gas continuously moving to the heater. My question is, is there any way to fix this or what should I do?

9 answers to this question

That is the thermocoupler "pipe". You will need to buy a new thermocouple to fix it. I think they only run about $15.00 and can be bought at most places that sell the heaters. I am not sure if it would be the same as used on household furnaces you could check with your local heating/cooling contractor. I have heard there is no differance but I do not know for sure.

arbuck

Hey thanks arbuck. I'm not a great mechanical mind, so I appreciate the help. I was snooping around looking at other sunflowers and I guess you can't get away from those thermocouplers. I was just looking at that pipe about a month ago and saying 'boy with all my loading and unloading that's gonna be the next thing to break'. I guess I'll have to be more careful if I get it replaced so I don't break the next one.

Go a head and get a couple of them, they have a habit of getting bent or broken. Its always nice to have an extra when on the ice. Good luck!

Can't a guy just put a piece of duct tape around the push button to hold it in all the time? Wouldn't that work in an emergency?

Dan, your right duct will work in a pinch the only problem is if the flame goes out the propane keeps coming out. Would not recommend this but in an emergency it would work.

I would not do the tape quick fix, too much potential for severe burns or even death.

Since propane is heavy it will pool up on the ground. Your burner goes out and you do not see it right off, so you bend over and light it....WOOF-BOOM......you and your hut goes up like a Polaris missile. You now have a whole new definition of "A bad day". blush.gif

Naaaaaaaa...get a coupler, do it up right, and live to fish another day Eh.

I keep a rubber band on my heater just incase I am out in the cold and the thermal couple fails you can use it to keep the red button pressed down but only if it breaks duirng a long cold day. I do not recomend this for continued use it can be very un safe practice.