• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Lake

I am going up to Breezy point next weekend and was wondering if the walleyes are biting or the crappies and where would be the best spot to catch them. I know it will be different next week, they might not be biting then but if they are now where are they?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be staying there the first weekend of February with a buddy of mine. Just wondering what lakes have a good daytime/evening bite. We caught some decent perch on Pelican last year at about the same time of the year, but I would like to try some of the other lakes in that area like Whitefish, Gull or some other smaller lakes in that part. Can anybody suggest any lakes to try?

Hey outdoors guy,

did you have any luck at Breezy? I'm heading up there soon... just wondering how you did.

Thanks!

Everyone seems to be pretty tight lipped about these northern lakes. Its ironic, they don't want the metro anglers coming up and "stealing" their fish. Yet, when there is little snow and ice we see stories on the news about how tough it is up north at the resorts without the metro tourism dollars. Seems like the want to have their cake and eat it too. I also will be visiting breezy next week and will post my results as well as any info I get from the resort and or bait shops. I just hope my kids don't get too bored cleaning out all the holes I'll have to drill too find some fish. thanks for any info.

Take a kid fishing!!!!

I think it's really hit or miss up here this year. I mainly fish Gull but the eyes are running real small lately. I would try Whitefish it doesn't seem to get the pressure that the other lakes do. Pelican is a good lake for Walleyes last fall and early ice I caught plenty! The key is to set up just outside the deep weedline 28-34'. Golden shiners!!

Dont know where you got the idea that were tight lipped. You can go to any of the area bait shops and get up to date info. Info is always available at this forum. As far as pelican goes it is easily accessible to anyone, just go out and find them like anyone else. Im more worried about the locals overharvesting the fish than the tourists.

Hey BigStevie,

Caught some walleyes off of the point on Gooseberry island that points towards Breezy. Marked alot of nice fish down around 30' but could only get a few to bite. Drilled about 30 holes to find the drop off right at the end of the point and then i caught fish, but it was the last day i was there, Go figure. But there are abunch of houses clustered up in the main bay by breezy fishing in the deep hole. Catching Crappies and northerns and sunfish. Good luck.

I was up there this past weekend and fished around Gooseberry as well. The action wasn't fast and furious, but we did catch some nice walleyes, lot's of perch and even a few white fish as well. All the walleyes came on jigging spoons and minnow heads. We only had one tip up go off and that happened to be the one that had a fathead on it. the shiners didn't seem to work. Oh well. it was great to get out!

I spent the weekend fishing Pelican Lake with some success. We got up there Friday around noon and immediately hit the lake. We messed around on the southwest side of Gooseberry catching small perch all afternoon until about 4PM and then the walleyes moved in. I was the only one with a flasher and I caught 5 smaller eyes and missed at least that many in about two hours. The other two houses in our group together only landed one walleye. I also landed a 2-3 pound sucker on two pound test line...that was a blast, but disappointing.

Saturday morning by about 6:30 we were set up in the bay, right by the resort, amongst the group of houses looking to see if there were any crappies left for us. I caught two around 8 inches and a three pound pike. Those were the only fish of the morning in the group.

I spent the majority of the midday on Saturday in search of sunfish with no success. I concentrated inside and out of the Moose Bay area and the only thing I could find was some small perch.

That night we went back to the same spot near the island. Fishing slowed down quite a bit with only one walleye caught from me and three total in the group. The fish were down there, but they were extremely spooky...it was a tough night.

All in all it was an awesome weekend at the resort and bar in the town and the fishing was good.

Unfortunatley, the wife and kids weren't too impressed with my auger skills. So, we just stayed in breezy bay and hit the edges of the 15 foot hole. Nothing really big a few sunnies and a few crappies. The oasis bait shop outside the resort said the walleye action really slowed down. We caught all our fish on some #10 demons with waxies. color didn't seem to matter.

Hey! Everyone is sharing very nicely!! Good boys...see, it isn't hard to get along..."now run along and clean your room!!"grin.gif

We should go visit our in-law-on-the-lake, I've never icefished Pelican and the walleye/pike season ends Sunday night!! confused.gif