• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MARCH FISHING

BIG DIESEL

A GROUP OF 6-8 OF US ARE PLANNING A TRIP IDEALLY IN MARCH SINCE PREVIOUS RESPONSES HAVE SAID THAT USUALLY IS DECENT FISHING.

WE ARE PLANNING TO FISH OUT OF PORTABLES. OUR QUESTION WE HAVE IS IF IT IS WARM, AND THERE IS WATER ON THE LAKE, WHAT HAVE PEOPLE DONE IN THE PAST SINCE IT WOULD BE MISERABLE TRYING TO FISH IN 6-8" OF WATER IN A PORTABLE? NOT FISH? TRY TO FIND A RESORT WITH AN OPEN SPOT? WE ARE EITHER THINKING THE 2ND WEEKEND IN MARCH OR THE WEEKEND BEFORE OR AFTER VALENTINES. ANY RESPONSES WOULD BE GREAT. ALSO - WE ASSUME IF THERE IS A TON OF SNOW PORTABLES ARE PRETTY MUCH OUT OF THE QUESTION AS WELL?

March fishing is a great time to come to Red Lake. I have been going now for 6 years the first week in March and we have always had not only great fishing, but also great times! Early March typically has solid ice with little to no melt on the top layer of two of ice. Mid to late March may bring a little melt, but nothing too bad. Its a great time to fish and there will be lots of people there during this month so make sure you find a place to stay soon if possible. Snow, you'll just have to check local forecast info, but even if there is a lot of snow, fising protables is fairly easy just off all the main plowed roads. In fact, we always fish protables and love every minute of it! Have fun, be safe, don't litter and good luck!

Bull Head Slayer

IBOT #246

BHS... How you been? We were just talking about you the other night at WW, let me know when you are goin' up.

Good Luck!

Ken

IN REGARDS TO THE SNOW - I ASSUME THE PLOW SOME SIDE ROADS FOR FISHING AS WELL? OR DO PEOPLE BRING SNOW BLOWERS UP THERE AND SNOW BLOW AN AREA OUT? JUST WONDERING - I AM GOING TO BE A FIRST TIMER ON THE 2ND WEEKEND IN MARCH - ACTUALLY OUR WHOLE GROUP WILL BE FIRST TIMERS ON URL!!

Hey Ken,

I am bringing the Iowa/Minnesota contingent up on the 20th and staying at one of the trailers again at WW. Hopefully you and the crew are able to make it again that weekend. I will have 8 with me including the infamous Whiskey Jerk! Oh, by the way, don't forget that monster of a tow strap this year since we will have the same Tahoe plus another with a trailer on the lake! You just never know when your around the Temple. Great to hear from you and we'll see you at the WW bar Thursday, Friday, Saturday night? How about all of them. Should also be good fishing since the weather will plain out by the middle of next week. Take care bud!

Bull Head Slayer

IBOT #246

SORRY FOR SHOUTING!! The program we use at work only functions in the caps lock. Anyways, I still have not received a response from people on what to do if there is 4 feet of snow and you are fishing out of portables? can a guy fish on the roads? is there spots that are plowed? should we bring a snow blower?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Bring a snow shovel along. Great for setting up portables. Even better if you get stuck in a snow bank. The way snow blows on that lake you'll always find a spot with less snow to fish in. Do not fish on the roads. You want to get away from the traffic. Not be the traffic cop. Plus it would be a great way to get run over.

Good Luck when you head up. I'll likely make one last trip the end of March as long as the ice holds out.

DO NOT fish on the roads ever! When you drill a hole on the road, the weight of the plow banks and the vehicles causes water to come up on the road and flood it.... it makes for a lot of work for the plow operaters to straighten that out. I've never seen it where you couldn't get off the road somewhere and get set-up. Follow someone elses tracks, a plowed side road, an area where the snow blew off etc... For the most part, the snow only gets so deep on Red due to the wind blowing up there... cross country travel can become difficult to impossible after snow events, but you will find areas to set-up.

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks for responses. i wasnt planning on drilling a hole on the road. i just didnt know what people typically do. Good luck to all.