• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Guys,

I was hoping someone might be able to clarify a point for me. I know that gas augers are not allowed on lakes such as Saganaga, but I was curious to see if this held true for electric augers as well.

I'm guessing that anything mechanical will not be allowed for drilling holes, but I was curious to know the specifics on this.

Thanks for any info!

I had this come up about a year ago and was told by someone that you can't have ANY type of powered auger in the BWCA and so I assume that means Electric as well.

I believe they cover that under "non-motorized". That would cover anything with a motor, electric or gas.

Just how I read it.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, that was basically my take on the wording as well. It's odd that on lakes such as Saganaga where you have that corridor you can snowmobile on that you can't use an electric or for that matter a gas auger. Especially since 15 or 25 hp motors can be used on a majority of the lake in the summer months.

I understand and agree with keeping this area preserved as a Minnesota wilderness, I’d just be curious to know the reasoning behind not being able to use a power auger.

I learned a long time ago not to look for any reasoning when it comes to restictions in the BWCA. It's best to just accept them and move on. confused.gif

I brought my Vex in both times I walked into the BDub last winter. It's electric, has a motor and runs off battery. Reckon that's not permitted then, right? confused.gif

This was brought up last year and someone said the DNR says no electric augers. Dont make much sense to me but thats what it is. Get a good Nilsmaster Hand auger and you will make quick work of that ice.

I have been told only hand auger is OK. Everyone seems to bring teh locator and that is apparently fine. Vex battery gets heavy. I think I am going to get one of those little hand held Marcums this year and bring that for our summer trips. Winter with Vex is not so bad- put it in the Otter and pull, pull, pull.