• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was doing some reading and it doesn't sound like anyone is really hammering them anywhere in the state right now. So just wondering traditionally where are the hot spots this time of year or aren't there any. I know it is called fishing and not catching for a reason but just trying to get educated. If a guy was willing to drive a couple of hundred miles are there hotspots up north that we are missing out on right now. thanks for helping the curious.

If your looking for numbers and not size try the C.C.Manor pits. Also I know Foster has been giving up a few trout to people I have been talking to. My brother was there yesterday and got a few smaller ones. He also mentioned that he saw a couple of HUGE ones cruising just beneath the surface of the ice. He said they went at least 5 pounds.

NO where in the state???Hmmmmm

I found a very good slab crappie bite near Bemidji this past weekend and ran into a welcoming bite on Mille Lacs as well.

SOmetimes no word is good word!lol

Jim

Yep, there is a parking lot that has two paved trails down to the lake. One on the south and one on the north.

I was in Thief River Falls this weekend, didn't fish but talked to some guys that had just returned from LOW. They said they are hammering the eyes (2 to 3#) each, maybe 50 a day (not all that big). Springsteel and the resorts north and east of Warroad. You can also rent houses and not have to haul one up if that makes it easier.

Bitz

Hey bitz....just noticed you are from hastings. After a couple years with limited fishing I am finally able to get from time to time. I'm also not originally from Hastings...just curious if you would direct a catch and release guy to some productive lakes within a moderate distance from Hastings. I've been out on lake rebecca a couple of times, but not much action for the number of people out there. Plus I like a change of scenery from time to time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks smile.gif

ugh, I wish I could provide more info, but usually I rely on these great reports from FM, We usually try Clear (waseca) CCwoods (rochester) and the lakes around and west of Fairbault. I have never tried rebecca but last week someone at hastings outdoors said they had been doing pretty well there, then later, nothing. I have seen a lot of fish on the vex at rebecca, but they don't seem to interested. I would actually like to find better luck, but just haven't found the "secret" place.

We have fished prior and some smaller lakes just south of prior (near the Minn hunt club) with some success, but have not been there this year. If you would like me to get the names of these, email me at pineglow at hotmail

Last week, we did ok on clear and had planned on going this weekend, but with highs at 5 below, will wait till at least sunday. Will let you know if we strike something good.

Crappie Tom sure helps alot, along with several others, so keep a watch on his posts.

good luck

Bitz

Dan

Sorry for all the questions but I got a couple more for you if you don't mind. Is a parking permit required to park there? If so, where can I get one.

Thanks, KSW

It's a city park and no permit is needed at Foster. Chesterwoods requires a permit , either daily or annual. And all of the other reservoirs you hear mentioned here are free to fish too.

Thanks CrappieTom. Sorry I couldn't make it down to the clean up earlier this month. Maybe I'll be able to make it to the next one.

Bitz...Thanks for the kudos! I have to say, I really empathize with you and your better half's dilemma when it comes to accessing the ice fishing. Ice and snow can put a terrible damper on the ability to fish for those who cannot get around well even when the going is good. Have you considered maybe getting a larger sled, say like what the PolarSport nordic or some of the otters are build on, and trying to outfit a lawn chair or some other folding seat in it? With the limited amount of snow e have you should be able to give Ma a nice ride and still tow your goods without too much effort. Might be another story with a foot of snow, but in shallow cover it may be a thought to look into.

Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com!.. Chesterwoods is about four miles esat of Rochester on Hiway 14. There are signs and the park is a right turn as you go east. Mostly panfish, some catfish and some bass. Again...welcome to the site!