• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lotalota, Looks like the 6th is a Saturday. I was thinking of reserving a room for the 4th, 5th, and 6th, which is a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I am tentative on the Thursday but will go ahead and reserve anyways. I would do similar to you, leave the evening before (i:e 8pm) and plan on arriving around daylight to fish the morning. Hopefully could get the room by noon to sleep for a few hours. If I go Thursday, we might prefish Algoma for a day and then come up to BH that evening. We would probably fish Sunday morning and then leave after lunch or thereabouts. All subject to change but that was generally what I was thinking.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OUTDOORNUT

• Tom Linderholm

• ReelTimes

• lotalota

I would like to go. Went to Algoma and Sturgeon Bay both last year. I personally prefer to go in early or better yet mid-September. I think Backcast can probably bring his boat again too and I have a camper. We talked about doing an FMer trip too when we were doing the North Shore clean up this fall. I can t go in July or Aug. I am just too busy. Last year we went early Sept and the last weekend in Sept/Oct 1. You guys will just have to pick a weekend and I'll see if I can come. Sounds like a great time though!

Would love to do this!!!!!

If I can free up the weekend I would be able to leave on a Wednesday night. I'm gonna have to look at the summer schedule and hopefully this will work out, i have always wanted to make a trip over for Michigan Salmon. I would also have a second (my father in law) that would like to go also and could go anytime as hes retired (plus, i need the mother in law to watch my little guy thurs/fri to make this work). Hard to fathom what a 25# chinnie fights like but i'd sure like to try grin.gif

HEY LIGHTLINE - I RUN THE SALMON OASIS HOME BASED OUT OF ELK RIVER , MN. AND TO EVERYONE ELSE, I AM PLANNING ABOUT 6 OR 7 TRIPS OUT TO MILWAUKEE THIS SUMMER WITH THE FIRST ONE HAPPENING IN MID MAY. IF THERE IS ANYONE INTERESTED WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE ADDITIONS TO OUR GROUP TRIPS OUT THERE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE BOAT BUT WOULD LIKE TO GO ANYWAY - SO FAR WE ARE A 4 OR 5 BOAT CARAVAN. AND THERE IS ALMOST ALWAYS EXTRA SEATS. AND MANY BIG FISH FOR A BETTER THAN LIFE EXPERIENCE. I GUESS I'VE KIND OF HIT THE POINT WHERE MY WIFE SAYS THAT I AM ADDICTED.

SALMON OASIS, LET ME KNOW HOW I CAN GET AHOLD OF YOU AND WE CAN PLAN THINGS OUT. IF YOU FISH OUT OF MILL THEN YOU SHOULD KNOW LIVEWIRE?

LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Lota & Reeltimes,

Did you reserve a room through the link that was provided? I'd like to make a res. soon also, but would like to get one at the same place as the rest of the FM guys going.

I called Friday and got one of the cabins starting on the 6th and going through the 8th. I'll probably end up heading down on Thursday (Wednesday night) if Northlander can swing it. We can still add more days to either end of the weekend at this point. According to the person I spoke with, the cabin can sleep up to 8 guys. There were still a bunch of rooms available too.

Xplorer - a 25lb king? Go stand on the shoulder on the interstate and hook an 18 wheeler as it zings by. Actually, bring 9 rods, get them all set up and then try to manage 3 of them as they go off at the same time!!! shocked.gif

Lota Lota...

Hey S.T., Northlander, or someone of power. Can we get a this topic "Pegged" at the top?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Nate, since its 6 months from now it think I'll wait till we get closer. wink.gif

Although we can bump it up once and a while so guys that haven't seen it will have plenty of time to plan.

Nate, now your getting me started. grin.gif

I've got a gimbel bearing and bellows to replace yet. After that we'll be making the top. Three months to go till we troll the Point.

Uuuggghhhh! The soft water jones is on! Looks like our crew will be out there the week after the 4th of July, exact dates aren't set and we might just leave my brother in laws 30'er out there for the remainder of the season (speculation at this point) but it would sure make it easy to do weekend trips out there.

Oh man. The sun is shining, water is running down the parking lot outside, and of course, it gets everyone's blood running.

I was fortunate for child number 4 (definitely the last one), a boy, to be born on November 19. Now I have a boy who'll be 6 next month, a boy who's 4, a girl who's 2, as well as the little one.

I've been monitoring this site all winter(you could say "lurking"), but haven't wet a line since we caught salmon in Apostles in September. I even bought a used snowmobile this year, with the hopes to get out on the ice. Ok, I love time with the kids, but I have just got to get this fishing thing out of my head for now.

ST was right, 3 months til park point trolling. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have been slowly stocking up on summer LMichigan stuff. I find ebay particularly helpful.

I guess time will tell when and where the FMers will go on their LMichigan trips. Is it Algoma, or Sturgeon Bay, or B Harbor, or perhaps somewhere else? I've been thinking about a couple of long weekend road trips out there. Lots of snow to fall between now and then, huh?

Fish on, if you're able.

Congrats on your newest addition!

I made a punch list for the boat last week. I spent a hour in M.G. last week and didn't buy a thing! I can't believe it! Maybe because I didn't know where to even start! Mostly looking at options.

Frank,

You putting a hard/soft top on that rig? I've got a design for making a solid pipe set-up, then canvas the top. Talked to the boys down the street at the Muffler shop, they'll bend, cut, and weld 1 1/2" diameter pipe for the frame. Plus he has tons of short scraps that he'll cut and weld on for rocket launchers. Last fall he thought it would be between $150-200 for everything. I am also open to any suggestions to either a better or cheaper system. Are there things I should add? Possible consederations when designing it?

Congrats Evntam, another thing we share is childrens birthdays, my Brianna Sage was born on Nov 19th as well (2 years ago) Going to check out a new (used) rig on Monday, may be in my driveway the same day if it is everything its cracked up to be!! Then I will be spending the rest of the spring rigging. Man I need a bigger garage! frown.gif

evntam, congrats on the newest addition.

Nate, Ya add the rocket launchers for sure, in addition to those get one on each side straight out, low and almost horizontal for dipsy rods. Also you'll want your reels and pulleys for the planner boards mounted on the frame. Add a couple brackets on top and mount lights to flood the stern for night fishing those kings. A dome light under the cover might be nice too. All this talk of Big lake fishing and I still have a lot of ice fishing left to do. grin.gif

Ah man, what are you guys trying to do to us with all this talk about open water fishing. The lake looked so nice coming over the bridge today. Clear blue water with the sun shinning on her. I got butterflies in my stomach just thinking about spring trolling the point. Thanks ST smile.gif I picked up 2 berkly trolling combos on sale yesterday at gander. The sickness has returned. I need to go shovel some snow or go slush fishing to try to get my mind off of it. It is only Feb. 3 right?

Thanks Frank. Lights....check.

Riggin' party @ Chef's.....sweet. If you get a boat and start riggin, I'm going to have to consider buying one of those canopy systems and taking the cover off the rig, just so I can start the process! ha ha

I did hit Stoney Point today for three hours casting spoons. I either was day dreaming during the awesome afternoon or my open water hook setting needs some work, because I did have one solid hit that I couldn't connect with. Oh well what a day to be out. To make matters worse, there was a 14' out trolling the area. Time to dig out the duck boat!

Glad it wasnt just me, it was 46 yesterday in Esko and i found myself sittin in my boat in the garage smirk.gif

My next purchase is the vhf and antenna. May be looking for pointers for wiring/mounting soon.

Has MG started their "boat show" prices in the store yet?

I was there a couple weeks ago and they told me to hold off til the sale started to save a few $$'s (ya right, the "savings" will end up in hardware).

All right Cheffrey. I want a full report about this new rig, if it ends up in your driveway.

I'll be bringing her home the end of March. Sweet boat. 1990 Sabre 216 with 200 horse evinrude. Open cabin with full soft top. Seating for ten. I am stoked! OK now who has a large garage? grin.gif

Cheffrey a 200 horse Evinrude? Better get a good kicker! blush.gif

Really though that should be a good boat. It will be a little tight up river but great every place else.

As far as garages I used to keep my truck in mine but with the new boat the truck sits on the street now. I never thought I would need a bigger garage. I think its time for us to build a polebarn out on some of that land you guys got.

Funny you should say that Steve, we bought a pole barn last year we just need to put it up. Only problem is as soon as it is up I know there is going to be one big boat in there that will dang near fill it up. Yeah I had my drawbacks on the motor but the dealer said he will treat me right on the motor should it not perform.

Just think how great this boat will be for pulling out to Algoma, I won't even notice it on the back of the truck smile.gif

I will have to keep up to date on when you come out!!

I live in Appleton Wi. now and fished Michigan quite a bit last year. I fished it without downriggers and had great sucess. This year, with riggers' who knows. I usually go out of Kewaunee. There is a nice little campground there right at the landing. This could be a possibility. Door Co. does have more sheltered areas if in fact you get a nasty SE. wind, which happens a fair amount. Great smallies action in July and august.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I could certainly entertain one for sure in my boat...maybe 2 if I had too.

Hammer

Nice work Chef! I can get my 22' Steury in backwards till I get to the windshield. Otherwise it is too tall for the average O.H. door. Made for long days and headaces when it was raining and I was working on the boat. I don't know how many time I smacked my head on the bottom chord of the trusses!

Hammer - We are headed out the 1st weekend in August. Plans to run out of Bailey's Harbor are the lastest.

Cheffrey what did that set ya back? If you don't mind me asking. I've been looking at LK Superior boats. Just trying to learn things and prices. Sounds like a nice rig.

Ran, It will cost me $7500, no gear included. It was packed way in with snow ice & a few other boats so I will have to wait for the lot to thaw a little more before It can take up residency at my house.

Cheffery congrats on the boat. What year is it.

Hi Cheffery,

Sounds like a boat I have had my eye on, did it come from a small town that starts with McG..... here in Minnesota? Still trying to convince my better half I need a "lighter" smaller boat for "road trips". Sounds like an ideal trailerable boat. May your strikes be many and misses be few. Congrats.