• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pros.....

Well the bite has fell off the edge and I haven't heard anything on this board for quit some time. Guys like Scott S. & other "pros" haven't had much too say. I here about the Smallies and the Muskie..Thats only obvious. Anyone that spends time on the lake knows where to find the smallies and knows were the muskies are lurking. Its those Walleyes. Where are they? Besides that, where are the FM guys that talk so much....is evertyone at their summer hide outs? Are you catching the infamous EYE? I don't think so. The walleye bite is horrible. Places I've caught eyes minute after minute in the dead of the summer are cold as can be. There are a few spots that produce....But,...there is something wrong..what? I don't know.

Pretty busy this time of year! If you are used to pulling leeches on snells, then yes, the bite has slowed. I have been pulling cranks on boards for the most part the last 3 weeks. Sure it is not like the hot South End Gravel bite we had going a couple weeks ago, but the size it terrific, the numbers are good and there are always some bonus fish thrown in!

We are getting to that time of year where the bobber bite at night on the mud is the way to go. Derek does a lot of this has been having a lot of fun to say the least.

The trolling pattern continues to be good. I let me electronics tell me where the fish are. Then it is just a matter of adjusting the presentation.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

WalleyeRMe

For non BOARD users as well, crankbaits and three-ways are the ticket this time of year. Try stepping up to a #9 minnow rapala combined with the approach of running your rigs higher in the water column at faster speeds. I have had my best fishing when the crank is running 3 to 4' above the bottom. This allows the bait to travel above or at the same depths as the active fish you are seeing on your locater. I also think you should consider speeds around 2mph or even greater, to take advantage of the "Reactionary" bite that seems to work well when the water temps hit 75 degrees or higher.

Try the west and north tip of Gregs Flat. Paralleling the flat first and then trolling off-to-on and vice versa. This technique works amazingly well for Gregs northwest edge. The water drops from 25 to 36 sharply, and the fish seem to love to ambush the bait here.

Also try Agates needle, the north edge of Fishers and the south tip of Backers. These are good areas now, and are less traveled than the traditional Boot, 7mile and Blue Jug flats. These areas are also good, but generally get too crowded.

Side Note...When fishing Fishers north edge, make sure you try trolling off the flat 20 to 50 yards in the deeper areas. These can produce very nicely sometimes.

Scott: When you are pulling those cranks on boards are you fishing the bottom or are you chasing suspended fish...Not looking to bump hulls with you I'm more curious about any incidental Smallmouths you might be running into...I've caught Smallies on other lakes that are in open water but never on Mille Lacs...Just looking for a new pattern to target the fish that don't see as many lures. Thanks.

If you have the electronics, people are catching a fair number of fish suspended. Walleyes are targeting the swarms of baitfish. If know a guy who found schools of cisco suspended and ran cranks through them and had a lot of walleye success. The trouble is finding them. Once you find them its all about timing and knowing how to run your crank bait I guess. Just my two cents guys.......

The nite bobber bite had been great on the mud. The edges and tips have been producing well. The bite starts at sundown then tapers off until around 11pm and then picks back up again.
I suggest pulling cranks on boards during the day, even if you only fish two lines, your still covering more water when fishing the basin areas..

Good Luck

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459

I've had some success lately pulling the little reef runners inbetween the flats. Two weeks ago I caught 3 fish between 27 and 28, nothing over but it sure is fun catching them. I have also been keeping the speed right around 2 mph with about 200 feet of line out.

Scott and Derek,
I've never used boards before, but I'm thinking of trying it in the future. Question for you, when using boards how much line do you let out before attaching the board, and then how much additional line do you let out once the board is attached.

For people looking to try new techniques like running leadcore, snap weights, planer boards, etc. the precision trolling book will help point you in the right direction.

To run in-line planer boards you let out as much line as needed to get your bait to the desired depth, clip the board on the line, and then let out as much line as you want from the rod to the board. The more line you let out, the further away the board will run. I suggest only letting out twenty or thirty feet of line from the rod to the board to start with and increase the length as you get more comfortable reading the boards. The further the board is away, the harder it becomes to tell when a fish hits.

There are other reasons to run boards than just fishing shallow water. The main reason is spreading lines out especially in clear water like Mille Lacs.

Another reason would be to give your lure action. At times the board bouncing in waves will give your lure action that a walleye can't resist. We have had days when we got all our fish on the boards and none on the flat lines. It goes the other way at times too.

You can also use boards to cover different depths. On some of the flats you can fish the top, middle, or bottom all at once by running on the center of the break with one line out the back and boards off both sides. Once you get a pattern figured out you can adjust you lines accordingly.

When your old stand-by presentations aren't working try experimenting. It can pay off.

[This message has been edited by Adam Adler (edited 07-21-2003).]

Pull deep diving shad raps, they seem to work the best, I troll fast at 2.6-3.2 mph. YOU dont have to use boards unless you are fishing with more than three lines, people only use boards to get lines away from the boat so they can fish more lines, when you fish that deep you dont need them. I wouldent advise trolling slower than 2.2 mph cause I have never caught an eye slower than that

I haven't been running into much for smallies on the mud. Nice pike though! Most of time we are fishing suspended, although some days the bottom fish go. I have been trying to run where the bait fish are hanging. The water is still clear and the fish have no trouble finding the lure. A safe bet is to run at the same level or just below the bait fish are you marking.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service

Bronzeback,

I was running a rattlin rogue on leadcore off the west side of 3-mile about two weeks ago and was picking up some nice smallies in about 18'-25' of water--go figure.

I have nothing more to add. Adam covered it very well.

As for where we have been running our cranks. Look for the baitfish. As Adam said, then use the trolling bible to target depth with a specific lure.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service