• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka ICE Series Event...

Matt Johnson

From 494, take 394 West. Take that to Hwy 15. Hwy 15 curves all over Minnetonka and brings you right to the launch in Spring Park Bay. It's probably about 15 min drive once you're on Hwy 15.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• metrojoe

• Dennis Steele

• EBass

Mr. Clean and I are going to be there. I may have a friend from Indiana up this weekend for the event as well.

He doesn't know how to ice fish though...they don't get much for ice down there. (right Mike):D

Still should be plenty of ice 22+ by the weekend. With the warm weather it's going to be a good turnout.

WWG,

You crack me up, LOL grin.gif

I'm looking forward to talking with you again this weekend. Lance must be happy and I bet he feels more secure fishing with you out on the ice, this way he can't fall in the water, LOL grin.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

That comment is funnier than you think.

I saw Lance go in the water twice last year.......once at the Anoka tournament.......

.....and once through the ice on Prior. He should wear a survival suit on Saturday!!

I am pretty sure both of those incidents were "my" fault. Can't believe he still wants to even fish with me. I must just have a great personality. laugh.gif

I almost killed Dennis a couple years ago and he still fishes with me. I must just be a swell guy. laugh.gif

See ya Saturday. (mental note....throw some rope, my hand spikes, and a life vest in the truck......and update my will)

Hey john why don't you make him tie 2by4s on his feet. See you guys out there me and moby1 and my son Zach will be there.

My insurance agent called and said that WWG and MrClean had to sign an extra waiver and that they can't fish within a hundred yards of any other contestants. They are just too dangerous! grin.gif

With 46 degrees forcast on saturday Dennis may be able to launch the River Pro and take it for a spin from the snow melt on top of the ice.

I dont know how much snow is still on the lake, but I hope everyone has the opportunity to make it out and leave the hip boots at home... standing water could be an issue.

BTW Dennis.. next time your cruising up 35 and want to save on your gas mileage ... I would have no problem pulling that house for you... nice rig.

The truck that passed you and waved was occupied by myself and Black Sportsman.. maybe we will run into you at one of these events.

Good luck to all of you making it out to the event.

I was out checking out that area today. All looks good so far, almost know standing water except at the landing. Only a few old house banks to go around, travel is pretty simple.

Did find plenty of gills and a couple Crappie. I only fished from 10-11 am.

I was out there yesteday as well, along with goinfishin, metrojoe and another guy whose name escapes me right now. It should be no problem driving on the lake. You sure won't need a truck by Saturday cuz I don't think there will be any snow left at all.

Hey Dave!

So that was you?! I was even telling the guy who was riding with me about you. That you moved up to FLoodwood and I wanted to hook up with you to chase some fish on your new river. Now if only I can find some time!!

That Road King shak is sweet, not mine but still sweet. Its was donated for ICE Series HQ for this season by Road King. Plenty nice of them Huh?

That was I... I hope I didnt swerve(sp?) too hard when I tried to get a double take to see if that was actually you .. admiring the house then seeing the River Pro Logo on the truck was a dead give away .. but everything happens pretty fast when the speedo is on 80 .. yours was at 70.

I'm setting my sights on hitting the rush lake event.

On another note, other than trophies, what kind of prizes are usually given away at these events? I see it is sponsor orientated... I havent been keeping up and have no idea what one might expect... either way .. $10/$15 is a small price to pay to to have a good day fishing.

There are trophies reward to for the biggest fish and for the heaviest basket of fish that comes in.

As for give aways, each contestant is given a ticket at time of registration. Then at the end when they are announcing winners of all the fish caught there are prizes to be won from FM's sponsors. They call out the number on your ticket and then take your ticket to see if it matches!

Make sure to hold onto your ticket.

I'm out of here. I won't be around a computer Friday so I'll see all of you Tonka FMer's Saturday morning!

Hey Bassman (Matt Jung)

I beleive my house is right next to yours out there now. Do you have the silver one with the huge picture window facing south. Anyways I have the newer tan looking one just south east of you about 50 yards, been in the same area all year and i just recogized your name on here from seeing on your house. Maybe we will see you out there and good luck to ya wink.gif

[email protected]

Wow, nice job fellas on getting a ton of sponsors for the event. One question Matt, is the actually time to start fishing at 8am or can you start sooner if the registration at the event has been completed through the booths?

Chow for now,

GF

Just a reminder! It might get slick out there on Saterday with the warm temps so it might be a good idia to bring some ice grips for your boots if you got em. They are wourth there weight in gold on slick ice!

Dan,

The officially start time is 8am and you can register/check-in anytime before 8am. We let people start once they registered at Medicine because of the weather conditions.

I'm looking forward to talking with you again. I've only seen goin fishin once on the ice this year, that's an all time low smile.gif Normally it's a couple Metro Get Togethers. See you on Saturday!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Updated Ice Conditions as of 2/4/05.

I went out to Spring Park Bay to remove my permanent shack. The ice at the landing is in really good shape. Still some snow on most of the lake. The spotty puddles of water on the roads is at max 2" deep. Ice at my shack was still well over 20+". Only removed my shack because of Fishing commitments for the rest of the season & it was good warm day to roll her home.

Remember to use caution & ice is never safe.

See on the ice in the AM tommorow.

Chris

Thanks for the report Chris! See you in the morning!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I snuck out on Thursday and covered some ground in the spring park bay area... only notable water on the ice was at the access .. there was a lot of runoff coming down as usual in the warm weather. We didnt find any hotspots to share in the mid-day, but it was warm enough for my partner to be content wearing a T shirt outdoors if that counts for anything.

I drilled lots of holes within a mile of Spring Park and found 20"-26" of ice everywhere in that area. Shoreline Bait encouraged to use great caution when driving with a vehicle, but 4 wheelers can go about anywhere. I think the deepest snowbank we found was 3" deep .. so driving is only limited by the thickness of the ice in that particular area.

I checked on the ice at the access myself today and it looks good to me too. There is a little standing water, but not bad.

We will start taking registrations at 7:00 am. You may head out fishing immediately after you register or you can hang out for Matts presentation, then head out at 8:00.

We have on shore parking available at both lots across the street, and there will be no parking with in a hundred yards of ICE Series HQ for saftey reasons.

The warn weather is going to make a great day to be on the ice! grin.gif

Have fun on Minnetonka everybody!!

I'll be up north fishing for the weekend so will be unable to attend this event. The plan is right now to be at Rush Lake next weekend so hope to see ya there.

Realtor Boy;

Yep thats my house, You weren't by chance putting out or moving a house yesterday afternoon were you? I was out there doing some fishing with a buddy. Yup you'll see me out there tomorrow, I'll be at the approach (If I can get off an hour early) at 5:30am. Good Luck to you and hope to meet you out there

~Matt Jung

My buddy is all worried about standing water on the ice. I don't really care. How much standing water is out there?

I had to swat a couple of mosquitoes in the garage today. You may want to bring the bug spray tomorrow just in case.

I drove my Subaru across from Phelps Bay Pembrook access to the Spring Park Bay launch off highway 15 this morning on the way to work. No problems at all. On the way back around 4 pm still no problem. They have widened the road towards the east and its pretty clear. If you like to splash water all over the place, keep to the west side. But, like fisherdave said, you don't have to even stick to the road as there is hard pack snow/slush almost everywhere. Just drive slowly so your wake doesn't bounce the ice around too much.

Go Fish,

dsludge