• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have nothing to report, as we are going up there this weekend. But we would appreciate any info on these lakes and Rush and Ottertail, if you all would be so kind grin.gif. We've been up there in the fall and weren't to lucky (short of the cold beer and cards), and hope to brave the cold to try a little fishin' this long weekend. Maybe we'll even stroll on in to the TriplePlay in Dent, look for 4-6 guys who look like they don't belong wink.gif

Thanks in advance and Good Luck! McGurk

I don't have anything to tell ya, But as they say at the Triple play "I got bent in Dent" He He He! They are both good lakes. People are kind of secretive about them. They hold some nice eye's(17" average) and BIG panfish. I have a place on Dead. I did'nt fish it much in the winter until this year. I fished it for eye's and did good.

Anyone know were the panfish are on this lake in the winter? It seams no one fishes them. Everyones after the eye's.

I fished Ottertail Saturday. Figured that the lack of recent reports signaled the start of a good bite. Unfortunately that wasn't the case in the spot I fished. Set up in about 25 ft. off a sunken island and caught 3 perch and 2 small walleye between 3 and 6pm. Spoke with others nearby that had similar results.

I haven't heard anything about other area lakes.

Good luck this weekend. Hopefully the fishing will improve by then.

All I can say is Star Lake is Dead right now grin.gif. I have been out there twice in the last 3 weeks and it was unbearably slow action. There were 4 of us on the lake and we didn't have one panfish worth keeping. Who knows maybe it the fish aren't where we expect them to be right now, but other than a couple of small Pike there was nothing to speak of. I cannot comment on Dead as we have yet to fish it this year.

Take care!

I second that Star is dead and I could not belive it been out there a couple of times this year at my crappie holes and nothing they didn't even come threw and they have been coming threw these holes for 20 years of my life and nothing I think they found a new home somewhere out there!

yeah, what the hay is going on with those big gulls and crappies. I have been out 4 times on my favorite panfish lake that has some very nice gulls in it, and average crappies, and have only been nagged by little stinken perch, I have fished all around the same vicinity that I usually get em, and nothing.

Well, the trips off due to poor temps and the long haul. The cabin will have to wait till a little later, sadly. The fishing reports make it sound like we won't be missing much as far as a bite goes. Too bad.

Good Luck this weekend and Be Careful! McGurk

Exactly the same problem down here Stumped Panfish must be suspended deep somewhere Perch everywhere not one crappie yet just eyes and perch! Any advice I fish waska in pope!

• 4 weeks later...

i have a place on dead and always do well in only 12 to 14 feet of water. thats summer, and through the ice. we seem to find crappies and eyes and fish about in the same spot. this past summer we caught more eyes than ever, all on plastics.

Well, next trip is on! We're up there the weekend of the 18/19/20 and am hoping for some good times! How's the ice/snow conditions; trucks having any problems? I'm sure we'll take our limit of hammerhandles out and try for some 'eyes, and maybe even some panfish if we get bored.

Anyways, I hear DipLip, ManHands, and the rest of our favorite bar-maidens at the Tripleplay in fabulous, historic downtown Dent callin' our names! We'll be there soon!

duckhntr, we'll be up on the NE bay on the east side by Troje's, if you see a black toyota w/ a topper and some black portables, stop over. We may even get adventurous and take a lazy drive over to Indian Bay, too. Good Luck!

Any reports from Dead/ Star lately? I'd hate to have to spend all of our time up there with a can in hand...

Boy, I hope the fish aren't as tight-lipped on Dead as the people fishing on it wink.gif. Or maybe there will be plenty of elbow room on the ice as no one fishes it. Either way, we're still going up. I'd be happy to donate a frosty beverage to any fellow FMers up there if they're around.

How's the snow on the ice? Are trucks driving on the lakes, or just sleds and quads?

Looks like you're gonna have to find out for yourself! I drive by these lakes frequently, but have not seen any parades of people out there, so not much must be happening. I think lots of people are still walleye fishing. I got a great walleye spot on Star that I haven't gotten to yet. How much is it worth to ya?

Tell me if you want, don't if you don't. I just want to know if anyone is having success. We'll fish it and have a great time no matter what. Good Luck to you if you get out. Have you had any issues driving on the lakes?

Well, not much to report. Pulled our limits of northerns (if you can call them northerns, small) out and went to a smaller lake in the afternoon for panfish and did OK.

We did hear of a CO asking about a light colored truck on Dead Lake that was supposedly pulling up northerns and leaving them on the ice for the eagles over the last couple of weeks. Very illegal. I'd assume if they'd be doing that on Dead, they'd do it on other lakes too. If anyone knows of this please give a call to the proper autorities of approach them and ask them to stop. If nothing else pickled northern is great and you don't have to worry about the Y-bones. Good Luck!

McGurk, what was the smaller lake you went to? How many did you actually keep? what kind? what depth? what did you use to catch them? Thanks in advance. 'twitcher.

Mid afternoon, Small light colored jigs w/ waxworms, 7-8" bluegills, 1 close to 9", 15' water, along a weed line, kept about 15 between my dad and myself. Also pulled up about a 3lb northern on a minnow at the same depth. Saw crappies suspended about 6' off the bottom at 5pm, but left before we could get one up. Bigger bg's were much more finicky, you could tell it was a larger fish just by the way it bit, had to have a little more patience.

DT, what's it worth to you?

Just Razzin' ya a bit there McGurk. I didn't expect you to give up all the goods. If you found that spot yourself, you deserve the added satisfaction of having done that along with getting some keepers there.

No problem, DT, just don't want to see this little lake covered w/ holes. And after hearing about the "sportsmen" on Ottertail jumping into used holes, I'd rather keep it quiet. drop me an email for loc. [email protected]

Howd the walleye search go for everyone on Star this year. Had my spear house out there and speared some dandys.

Say there KoWalleyeSki, Not sure if you previewed that last post, but you made it sound like you speared some dandy walleyes in Star this year......You probably don't want to post the description of your shack!!

HAHAH SORRY! NO i didnt spear any walleyes. I meant to say Pike. Totally sorry. I didnt review my post. I am truely sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering what people think of the new 10 fish limit on sunfish/bluegill for Star....I thought I heard it was for a 10 year period. Sorry if I missed this on another thread.

after the way Star got raped last winter, it will be hard to get more than 10 sunfish in one day out there anyway!

So Star is dead for sunnies and crappies? If anyone heads out there, give me a shout out on here. I havent fished this lake in awhile and would like to again.