• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
steeplechaser2

Rice Fishing Report

steeplechaser2

Happened to catch a "nice" 4 pound slimer and many small eyes out on Rice today in 15' of water....seemed to be a "day bite" as we happened to catch the walleyes, pike and perch before 5:00pm.....anyone had luck on the longer walleyes......we tried pulling on the heads and tails of these eyes to get them to 15" but remained about 3" too short grin.gifgrin.gif

Borch

Keep moving around and you'll find those bigger eyes. If you're getting the little guys it's time to move. Eyes generally school by year class. So if you want bigger eyes you'll need to go looking for them. It also helps to get away from the crowds. The noise and pressure tend to push active fish out and the remaining fish are usually the little guys and the few nice ones left are very spooky.

I'm heading out in a little bit. I'll target crappies first and then chase a few eyes. We've been getting a few decent ones(15-22"). Most of these have also been before it gets totally dark.

only-eyes

tossed back a limmit of eyes on Rice monday night, the smaller ones bit before dark and the bigger ones hit from just before dark till about 7:30. people started heading off during the best of it. equal on jigs or live bait

Borch

Way to go. The nicer fish are definitely there. Helps to get away from the crowds.

only-eyes

yes sir there is a lot of unfished ice, there wasn't even a house or hole around

NELS-BELLS

I made it out yesterday with my brother-in-law and it was a balmy -6 when we got there about 3:30 and -16 when we left at 7. We fished out of my portable. Brrrrrrr We ended up catching 4 walleyes, one keeper, and missed a bunch. They weren't very aggressive.

We noticed a lot of fishhouses at the crappie hole. They must be getting a few there.

Nels

Captain B.R.K

I was out on Rice Lake this weekend as well. Slow action, but caught some real decent sized eyes'. I ended up throwing back a 18-19" and lost several at the hole a bit bigger.

Not real aggressive, had to let the spoon sit still for a moement and then give it an ever so slight twitch and that got em' to bite. Caught a pike a little under 30"! Hopefully have pictures for you soon.

alwaysfishin

I have never fished this lake but I have fished a lot of the lakes in the area this winter and haven't really had any luck, it's either shoulda been here yesterday, or shoulda been on the other side of the lake. sounds like people are having good luck on rice and I was wondering what area or depth you're picking up these walleye and pike, also is staying away from the crowds a big thing on this lake? Where do you access the lake from?

Thanks for any help!!

NELS-BELLS

I was in 17'. It was so cold that once we set up we didn't move.

Capt. B.R.K.- Where you fishing in a portable or where you fortunate enough to be in an insulated fish house? You might have seen us Sat. night, we were in an orange and white dome style portable that stands out like a beacon at night. At least we didn't have to worry about our beer getting warm. How deep where you at?

Nels

IceHawk

I don't know what depth or area BRK was in but I fish this lake reguarly for eyes and will try to help you out. Rice lake is known for eyes being shallow.

First off as far as accessing the lake there are 3 spots to come on in the winter. 1st is on the S end nearwhere the river flows in, not used as much in winter. 2nd is from Fishers resort, a private access but a good one it takes you to the 2 main crappie holes and is close to good walleye fishing. 3rd is the N end access off of hwy 23, this will take you to a area they call shaumans point a good location for eyes and crappies and probably is the most popular in the winter.

I usally never fish over 17 ft on Rice and prefer depths of 9-13 ft. Over the years the shallow water bite has been the most consistent for me. Yes you will get eyes deeper on this lake but I have found better numbers and size shallow.

Most of the bars and flats out there will produce fish. If you look at a lake map you will see the obvious places to start. These shallow biteing eyes are spooky. You will want to have your holes pre-drilled before prime time and keep the noise level to a minumum. I also am a strong beleiver in useing headlamps versus lanterns when fishing eyes in the shallows. I never fish in crowds or near a group. You will ice way more fish by staying away from the crowds and keeping thing's quiet.

Good luck on your search!!!!

only-eyes

hey icehawk a buddy of mine just iced a 29" out of 6ft of water minus the ice thickness so they are shallow yet but the bite has slowed quite a bit lately.

Captain B.R.K

Actually there was a picture of a fisherman in the last outdoornews that had a real nice eye' from Rice Lake.

Nells- I didn't see your hut. I need to sit back sometimes and enjoy the scenery- I get to caught up in staring at my hole grin.gif

I was off from the crappie/eyes spot that Ice Hawk talks about. IF you are on the lake, you can't miss the spot he is talking about. If you were to break the lake into 2 smaller lakes- where the 2 smaller lakes come together, there is a nice break (9-17')that should be concentrated on. I was actually away from that a little bit in less than 10' of water.

Take a look at the map like stated before and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Definately a lake I'd like to try my luck again!

NELS-BELLS

Capt. B.R.K.- I think I saw you guys on the way out. There was a group of fishtraps together that I thought were fishing for Gills because of the location. Where you with that group?

I wonder how the morning bite is on Rice? I might have to try it this weekend if I can get my butt out of bed that early.

Nels

Captain B.R.K

I was off of the break- probably the group you are referring to. It was basically a mixed bag in that area. Bluegills, perch, pike and walleyes is what we caught.

I fished the morning and evening bites on the lake that weekend. Must have been this cold front as it didn't make for an aggressive bite. Evening was better for me than the morning.

anyfishwilldo

I've been thinking of trying that lake. Is there a night bite? Maybe next weekend. I'm going to the extravaganza on Sat, and MilleLacs on Sun. Hopefully I can catch something at that thing, and maybe be trading a new Ford on a Chev.

alwaysfishin

i fished today on rice from 2-6pm right off one of the points in about 13-15 fow. i looked at the map and found a hump and we tried fishing near that, a lot of people drove by us on the way out to the big cluster of houses, is that group where everyone is catching them, because we didn't have a single bite in the four hours we were there. might try again tomorrow if i know a little more about where to go.

thanks