• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help on building a Portable

Does anyone out there have any advice in building a semi permanent/portable house out of wood ?? I don't have the cash for a sled type canvas portable and personally would rather have a wood bottom. I am leaning towards the flip end style with a tarp over the top, but might add wood walls to it also, but make it easy to take down and fit in the back of my S-10. I don't get out fishing as much as I would like due to no shelter and want to save the money for electronics which I lack also. Just curious to see if anybody has some input.

I know many of you here have offered to join up with and fish, which is great. But time I get something for myself.

Hopefully have something done in time for the Medicine lake Ice Series the 22nd.

Fish on !!!!

[email protected]

I don't know of many people who can build a decent (or even a cr@ppy one for that matter) portable for cheaper than they can buy one.

Check out the "free items" section. I believe guy had one in there to give away.

I made one 5 or 6 years back like what you are talking about. Very easy to make cost was 3 sheets of 1/4" plywood and a tarp not sure on plywood price these days but at that time cost to make it was about 50.00 It would be very hard to tell you step by step on how to build it. But I did see someone on e-bay is selling full plans for what looks alot like what I made for 0.99 cents.

Thanks for the input guys. I work at a lumber yard so material isnt a factor. I think i am going to try a whole modular wall panel idea instead of the tarp. Make it a little more permanent, but still easy to take down and fit in the truck. Give me a week and i should get it together i hope. Feel free to drop me a line if ya need someone to hit the ice with !!!

Moose Hunter - the pictures are gone from the other thread. Can you please email those to me at say underscore der at yahoo dot com?

Hey Chad Rap, I built one 4 yrs ago--floor is 1/4" luan glued (liquid nails) to 1" pink styrofoam edged w/ducttape, just small enough to fit in back of the minivan laying flat. Flip-up ends are 1"PVC frame U-bolted to the floor. Its covered with the cheapest plastic tarp I could get my hands on held together with tarp tape. Three long posts are needed to hold the ends apart. It's about 6ft x 4ft and 6ft high inside, weighs about 15-20lbs and is toasty in 5-10 degree with wind using Mr heater buddy. The styrofoam floor really helps keep the feet warm. Total cost about 35 bucks. Fits nicely on "The Beast" sled. Downside is it really wants to fly away on a windy day!! Happy building!!

Thanks Moose

That kinda is what i am looking at. That is if all that comes apart easy and stacks in the back of a truck. Maybe not that big, but real good info. I am looking at something i can take down in maybe 20 minutes if i want to switch lakes, but solid enough i can tow behind truck without it collapsing.

But painting it green ?? Might have to paint mine Purple

Go Vikes !!!

thanks again

Chad