• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was just wondering if anyone is having any significant luck on the walleyes. I noticed that they are super picky now. Just wondering if anyone has figured out any patterns. I personally noticed smaller baits and deeper water. any comments would be appreciated.

-fish aren't bitting at home

Its been tough luck lately as well. We have been averaging less than one fish per house the last 5 times we have been out. One broke my line at the bottom of the hole that would have gone about 24". My dad caught a 14" and a 23" in less than a minute another night and a buddy caught a 23" a third time. Quality is there but not quantity. We have been catching them on size 6 and size 8 rattlin' eye jigs and one came on a fat boy.

Something to add....

Two of those fish were caught in a stock pond that only goes to about 12' deep but I caught mine at 9.5' My dad caught his in 17' but his line was 2' off the bottom. He caught about a 7-pounder last night fishing crappies on a line that was 3' off the bottom. All of these were still lines with just intermittent jigging. Maybe try suspending your jigs.

I went out yesterday and found that the fish were very picky. I ended up with two walleyes that I caught in the middle of the day in about 21 feet. I was fishing anywhere from 16-25 feet. I also caught about a dozen perch and around 10 notherns. I had a lot of fish follow my jig up off the bottom five or six feet then take off. I tried big and small jigs and every assortment of colors and styles. There didn't seem to be any pattern to what they wanted. One of the fish was caught on a glow devil and the other was caught on a small genz worm. The perch were active pretty much all day in a wide variety of depths and some had a little size to them. All but one of the northerns were caught jigging with the other caught on my deadstick on a plain hook and a shiner. It sounds like it has been pretty slow everywhere. It was a frustrating day, but sure beat sitting at home.

yeah,

i agree with everybody,

i'm gonna put a post up on the big forum and ask what people are having luck with as far as getting walleyes to seal the deal once they start following that jig up off the bottom.

going to LOTW this weekend and will definatley experiment.

keep an eye on that post as most those pro fishermen are quick to respond with good advice.

gophish

I went out the other day we caught a couple of walleyes around 10 inches and lost a nice 2 pounder by the hole. We saw lots of fish on the vexilar and we couldn't get them to commit to jig. Does anyone have a prefrence on jig selection when it comes to late season walleyes? Good luck eveyone!

Later in the winter I try to slow down my presentation and switch to smaller jigs. I have had some success using waxworms to tip jigs also. I use spoons quite a bit and like to use the Angel Eye jr's later in the year because they have a little slower fall. I have also had decent luck with Genz worms and just kind of pound them like you are fishing for crappies or perch. Keep trying different things and something is bound to work sooner or later.