• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello everyone, hope the fishing has been good.

I got a report from some of my old college buddies in Ashland that the Cohos are going in the bay near some of the rivermouths up near Washburn. I was wondering if anyone has had anyluck with them on the North Shore. Hows the Looper action been.

My god- Are we all sick? Gonna fight through it to see Garrison Keilor though.

hey casaloma, I don't think too many people have been trying the looper bit lately with how cold it's been. personally it took so long for ice to come that i haven't even thought about loopers. However, maybe if we get lucky some ice will show up again on the shore, never caught a looper through the ice.

Just in general, winter north shore loopering is poorest in December, with things starting to pick up in January and increasing through March and April to the spring peak at the river mouths as the fish move in to spawn. Of course, you may know all that. If so, sorry. blush.gif

Casa your best bet for Coho is in the Ashland/ Washburn areas. If I feel better I may head that way Sun or Mon. Ill let ya know how I do.

northlander, if you can get out sun or mon, it would be great if i could meet you out there. been trying to get out there for a while now, but it's kind of intimidating place to try for the first time by yourself. hope you feel better!

Quick I will let ya know. Cheffrey is talking about Sun or Mon as well. I have to play it day by day for now. Getting better though. Food is sticking with me, now to get rid of the chest and throat conjestion.

If ya guys go, I will tag along with ya all. Did really good today, very early morning bite for 'eyes and some good coho and splake action. All the walleyes except one were big females, 6 'eyes total with the biggest being 31" and the smallest 18" where all the big fish were caught before sun-up. The cohos started right before day break with steady action with a few splake mixed in until I left. 4:30AM until 10:00AM The smaller walleye and cohos came home with me and all the big girls and splake went back. grin.gif

Nice job Jimbo! How does Sun AM sound if I feel up to it? Call or e-mail me.

JKH them some nice fish. Just name a time Steve, and I'll be at your house.

Thanks guys, I have pondered along time that these bigger walleyes feed way after night under the ice. Hearing reports from people over the years who have stayed in permanents shacks all night and catching large 'eyes, mostly after midnight. So there I went.. lol.. Anyways, it was unbelievable, the suspended bait fish on the graph and these fish pounded the lures.. I MEAN POUNDED THEM..

Anyways, yeah Sunday morning would work, I have to work that night at six but I could get a good half day of fishing in with ya fellas. They are driving out all the way out to where I was fishing, so no worries about a sled or anything. 16" of ice is the norm so is that enough for your rigs? There isnt much snow, a few occasional drifts but nothing a four wheel drive cant make it through.

I don't know what my wife would think about me dropping her 2500 through but I am game, if not we can jump in yours Steve. Mine has a little better seating capacity I believe.

Sounds good to me. Cheffrey your truck and house or mine? Be at my place Sunday at 3AM? Call me Sat night about 8pm and we will set it up. I should be ok by then.

Jimbo e-mail me where you were so I have a idea on what Im getting set for. I have a good idea already but making sure.

Quick do you want to follow along? Threes not a crowd in this case. Do ya have a house otherwise Ill bring mine and you and Cheffrey can fish together or whatever works.

Cheffrey,

I hear ya, I still run my snowmobile as it is always safer then a truck but I dont know if you have a sled or a wheeler and I know Steve doesnt. A guy fishing about 50 yards from me the past two days had an old style suburban with a plow on it. The ice is all good clear ice to where I was fishing.

And Steve, you will have mail here in a bit and then I gotta get back to work here.. lol

Quick you up for this one? Backset is for you. Steve we can take my truck out and stack your portable on top of mine no problem. 3AM! Not a problem, all I have to say is I better get out of work by 10pm tommorrow! grin.gif

Please do report on how that one goes. BlackJackDavey & I managed some off time & will be hitting the bay on Mon/Tues 16th & 17th. Going to stay in Ashland overnight, but with the reports here & what I've gotten from Ashland it sure sounds like early ice bite is going. Maybe well have to spend the night on the ice instead of the local H2O holes in town.

stfcatfish, thanks for the post. hope to meet you at the bash!

I am more then up for this one, I have my one man shack up here now and can also drive if things get crowded, whatever works for you guys. i got your number steve, otherwise one of you guys can give me a call tommorrow sometime. I can't wait, wanted to ice the bay for a long time!

Hey loma i did get those days freed up on the 16-17 i will be at your house early on the 16 then we will role over to the big bay. Wow all night hey on the bay i have spent years and hundreds of hours fishing the bay and have never thought to fish for eyes that late. are we talking channel by the light house or in front of washburn? i have caught all my eyes in the bay near the light house on the gentle slope that the channel makes from 20-30 or so. so this late bite what are you using pimples, jigs, goldens, lakeshinners? my biggest eye from the bay is 28, what a female she was that was open water. man that would be awsome at night on the bay were as far as i'am concerned fish just fight harder period then inland fish. Loma we would have to really be geared up for that adventure. Propane, lanterns ,and a full gass tank of wisconsin's finest beverage. well we will see what the weather gives us on those dates we could always do it on or feb trip i have the 7-13 off that is alot of time on the bay which i crave so much. Well talk some more and any more info on that night bite would be awsome. Peace and hair grease tongue.gif

by the way loma 16-17 that is sun and mon, not mon and tues hope you r poor queens get smashed like a small bug go FARVEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif

O.K. BJD, I'm also 'official' for the Sun/Mon 16/17th. Call me & we'll talk gear. Of course we'll be needin' a radio so we can listen to the Vikings play. blush.gif

Gee, ya think Alex may have some ideas on wheres hot for Sun.? Lighthouse sounds like a great preliminary plan to me.

Any favorite nite-bite lures out there, or are we talkin' pimples alll day?

BJD, you seem to have it down for the bay. smile.gif I was actually fishing in the channel itself, close to where it slopes up but not actually on the slope itself. And for lure selection, I personally usually stick to a smaller sized buckshot spoon, with some sort of white glow during a night bite. And sometimes I upsize, but be creative and see what the fish are in the mood for, these bay walleyes are hard to figure out and roam expansive spaces so you may or may not be on top of them. That is why I like to use the buckshot, for it's calling power. Oh, and I always deadstick a minnow while jigging. Lake Shiners were the ticket the other morning, but always bring along some goldens. Good luck guys.

Jim I got some Lake Shiners but I hope they dont die. My airator took a crap. I think it froze up. Oh well I can still use them dead.

me and porter picked up some emeralds tonight, man they are tough to keep alive, oh well only about 6 hours until they will go to good use! grin.gif

Ok, sounds good. Hannah decided to go to Ashland after you called, so I told her to stop at Harbor Bait and pick up a couple dozen just in case, so we will have plenty of bait and then some. Yup, they are sure hard to keep alive, gotta keep the water cold and water moving. And if you don't have an aerator the best thing to do is just keep them right about freezing. See ya guys in the morning!!!!!!!!

In regards to that night eye bite are we talking later then 12 this bite happens? does it go all night or fade out as it gets later? I have heard good things about those buck shot's thanks for the tip. have you ever fished the hump between the oar dock and the light house it's really the only noticable hump out there i have done well on northerns at that spot but have never fished it late at night for eyes . just curious if antone has hit that spot.

Black Jack,

In all honesty that trip was my first of it's kind due to hearing reports of people catching the occasional big walleye way into the night. So I really wouldnt consider it a "bite" as of now, I need to spend a couple more nights doing it to see if it is consistent or if I just hit a good night. Ya know what I mean? I have caught walleyes just as the sun was coming up on different occasions but I have really never fished for them before sun-up until that trip. So only time will tell. I know from open water fishing, I caught the majority of my bigger 'eyes way into the night in the bay also. So it seems to be holding true for these fish and feeding.

And I believe you may be thinking of what they call the Pamida Hump? If so, I have fished it in the open water and did fair on walleyes and a few smallies. Never iced it but I have been close in deeper water.