• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Wannabe

Is it ever safe to drive on Pulaski, and/or are they driving out there now?

BackHerUp

I haven't been by there recently, but that lake is always the last to freeze and the first to crack open (due to a lot of springs). In the past, it has swallowed many a vehicle, so it's earned quite a reputation and also a lot of respect. I usually go out there in late January or February (when the bite is off!!) just to be safe...that lake scares me to death.

Mark Christianson

I work with 2 guys that live on the lake.

That is one scary lake from the sounds of it. They drive on it, but they are there daily to see and judge the lake.

Neiko

Is it safe enough for a 4wheeler? Is there any particular spots you have to worry about?

efgh

I have fished Pulaski a no. of times in the winter, If you are not fimular with this lake, it is not the lake to drive out on, even to follow some one elses tracks.

federline

If on ATV, you want to watch it on the northeast and north shore areas. I've heard of atv's going through near the channel to little pulaski, specifically.

federline

I'm another resident who has driven out there and has a healthy respect for pulaski ice. Some winters there are currents under the ice, especially if the city is pumping pulaski water to buffalo lake in late fall into winter due to high water in pulaski - this can also cause early ice to weaken when pulaski water level falls as they pump the lake. They did not pump pulaski to buffalo this year from what I can tell (no flowage and open water at the courthouse this year and no notes in city government meeting minutes), so I would tend to think the ice on pulaski will be more consistent than last year. They can only pump from pulaski to buffalo during a certain time of the year by state law, and only if the water level is a certain height. I drove out on Pulaski last year in late season, but only after watching the activity out there every day for two weeks from the safety of my truck at the landing.

BackHerUp

Hey Jim...How's the bite been on Buffalo? Where else have you been going? --Andy

Neiko

Can anyone tell me if there are any spots to watch out for? I am thinking of heading out Thursday AM and would like to drive my truck out or should I use my 4 wheeler? Has anyone been catching any eyes out there?

Thanks

BackHerUp

Neiko...

Here's a suggestion. Go with someone. You drive your truck slowly as your partner walks ahead of the vehicle punching holes with the auger. That's how I do it when I go out to Pulaski and I don't see many other vehicles out (if any!). Just make sure the ice is consistent and stay on the path you've punched...ATV's are probably fine by now (most lakes have 20" now, so compare it to Pulaski's ice)...but stay on proven paths and be aware at all times.

Neiko

Thanks for the tip but I will be alone so I will probably just take the wheeler. Has anyone been catching any walleyes?

jigginjim

Neiko, The walleyes have been biting good on the north shore in 16 to 24 ft.

BackHerUp

Hey jigginjim?

Are they biting east or west of the Little Pulaski's entrance?

Or all along both sides? Have you tried that small bar (that comes up to 26') in 30' (right next to the 48' hole)? That kind of reminds me of a Mille Lacs mudflat...

Pulaskis_north_shore.JPG

federline

Jeez, you guys, could you keep it down? ooo.gif Get that map out of here! blush.gif I was planning to hit Pulaski Sunday with some new angles... smile.gif Maybe see you out there? Hopefully not with half the Twin Cities Metro!

TNFL

Kind of off the subject but does that bar hold bass or pike in the summer?

jigginjim

TNFL, You can catch all the pike you could ever want in pulaski. The biggest draw back is 80% is most are 18-24 inches long. my biggest last summer was 29 inches. I troll everything shallow to 45ft deep. Although I don't like fishing for big pike in summer, only because the fish can not handle coming out of 30 plus of water. They would most likely die from stress. I would rather catch them in late fall or though the ice.

jigginjim

federline, Don't worry the map isn't correct anyway. If anyone wants to see where the real fish are well you'll have hire a guide. Oh! I bad, I am a Guide.

federline

Heh! I agree, hire Jiggin' Jim and get him out even more so he can come back here and give more hints. laugh.gif 4-6" of snow will make getting around a little harder. I love the prospects of more snow cover!

I dunno about the map or where you got it Andy, but it seems to have scale and feature orientation differences from other lake maps, over and above typical NSEW position. I think it is still close enough for a skilled person to use to begin with.

I'm not worried about crowds or hoggin so much as just more noise and not-so-bright moves on Pulaski, got enough of that on Buffalo - Pulaski's a great retreat especially in these weather patterns. It's is a tough lake to pin the wally's down in, you still have to catch them.

Good Luck all!

jigginjim

Federline, Where do you live in Buffalo? I have only fished pulaski twice all winter, without an ATV, it's a long walk to some good spots. I spent many hours on pulaski and with good equipment you would be prized as to what's out there.

zebco4040

Some of us have hit that hump up with good success this year. We have wanted to hit the other one a little South of there, but have not.

Anyone hit that one up?

federline

JJ - I don't live on Pulaski, I'm basically 2 blocks from Buffalo Lake, north side off CSAH 12. I usually wait until midseason winter to hit Pulaski, sometimes I drive out, this year I have snowmobile motivation (resurrected an old friend I've kept with me for a while). laugh.gif

BackHerUp

zebco4040:

I haven't hit Pulaski this winter yet...but the hump you speak of (south of the one on the map) and the long bar and sunken island all kick out great sized walleyes, pike (and panfish at the sunken island) in the summer, if that's any consolation. However, I couldn't catch them there last winter...didn't even mark fish! I punched holes and moved around but nothing. That lake is real tough due to its good forage base (so I've been told), but I know people must catch them there (in the winter) and they still have to feed...right? confused.gif

BackHerUp

jigginjim writes:

Quote:

federline, Don't worry the map isn't correct anyway. If anyone wants to see where the real fish are well you'll have hire a guide. Oh! I bad, I am a Guide.

Just what you'd expect to hear from "guide"! grin.gif (No offense intended, jigginjim)

Federline, those maps (which I highly recommend to any one) are available at any and all baitshops and regardless what's said about them, as in any map...you have to use common sense and GPS.

I happen to really like that mapmaker and they haven't steered me wrong...as of yet! They're accurate enough to put me on any spot I've looked for (on their maps), then of course, I store the waypoint in my GPS...

federline

Speaking of baitfish, they were swimming up into the hole yesterday, and schooled at 10 foot and 12 foot in 20-25 FOW. Between 5:30p and 6:30p, I found myself in the middle of the highway to feeding ground, and apparently didn't have enough holes drilled to follow them all the way, and nothing of enough interest to chow on as they passed by. I struck out. frown.gif

The water is nice and clear still, can almost sight-fish panfish. smile.gif Some of the snow is pretty deep out there, was glad I had the snowmobile, no roads plowed on Pulaski. Ice was 19" thick where I was, but don't use that as your guarantee, folks.

Andy, are you talking about those plastic placard-style maps?

jigginjim

Backherup, I'm not worried we all know the plastic map are only so close. I also have lakemaster maps, on my lap-top, their just about as close as you can get. Lakemaster maps have been doing sounding on many lakes to up grade the maps.

I have been out on pulaski many nites, doing my own surveying. I have come across alot of things not on any map.

I mark the spots on my GPS, then go back later, so i can record the bottom sounding. In december, I had my boat on Buffalo lake, recorded one of the main structures, using

my locator i now have a 1 ft contour map of the area.

On Pulaski the bar going northeast from the sunkin island has a break in it. The fish hang on top of the break areas. If would like to know where it is E-mail me.