• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chubby Darters ?

18 inch Crappie

Question

I bought 2 chubby darters a 4 cm and a 5 cm. I heard people talk about them and wanted to give them a try. I put one down in 22fow and watched with my camera. All I could get it to do was raise up and drop down, no swiming action or jerking. I had tied it right on the line then tried a split ring so it could move freely. But nothing, my question is for you that have tried them is. Is this the way they act or am I doing something wrong?

3 answers to this question

Don't Choke your Chubby.......Do not tie direct or use a split ring. Use a small quick snap or a plain Berkley Cross lock snap or a Rapala loop knot.

If you add a scent option like a chunk of minnow keep it small or it will diminish the lures action. I generally add nothing but I do occasionally smear a squished minnow on the Salmo Chubby Darter or even add a commercial scent of my choosing. Larva are a good scent and will not diminish the action as long as you do not thread 80 on a Chubby. Two or three larva on the bottom or rear hook is plenty.

Matching the appropriate line test is also a key factor to achieve maximum action from the Chubby Darter. I would recommend you stay under 6# line diameter on line choice. Superbraids with high line test and untra-thin diamiters are ideal for Chubby darter jigging as well for use with other flying style jigs.

You can jig a Chubby rather aggressively, and I encourage you to do so. Three or four fairly hard pumps on the Chubby will set it in a frenzied circler swimming pattern both in the vertical and in the horizontal. On the fall/rest part of the jigging sequence pay close attention to any odd slack, fish often thump the Chubby on the fall or as it returns to center. They are a attraction bait so do some attracting, get that Chubby riled up Eh. Go Chubby GO!!

When the Chubby darter is operating as designed and not hindered by a poor connection choice it will make large horizontal circles and flutter on the rise as well as on the fall.

Beautiful Ed. Couldnt have said it any better. I like the Power Pro 1# diamter - 8# strength for my Chubby Darters.

Ed,

Good advice!!!

Another tip I can add, I have found sometimes in really clear water it helps to use a Uni-knot on swim baits and jigging spoons instead of a small snap. And with the Uni-knot, instead of cinching the line tight to the eyelet leave a small loop to give the lure action. If you tie it right, the knot usually will not slip down to the lure when you hook a fish, but after a few fish it may, just re-tie. I tried this a few years back when I was having a lot of lookers with a snap and then switched up and bang fish on. I do not get a lot of line twist this way either.