• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone been fishing Island Lake? Never fished it before, but 4 of us are staying there soon. We like trying different lakes and were hoping to stick it out there instead of heading to Red. Any info would be appreciated!!

I have never fished the lake in the winter time before.

I know there are some nice Jumbo perch there if you can find them. I would just try off one of the points on the west side or next to island and maybe even the sunken island (if you can find it) between the island and the west shore.

Otherwise I wouldn't have to much of an idea were to try myself. Walleye fishing I'm sure is probably hit and miss, I wouldn't really know were to start, Id have to ask someone myself.

That would be great if you could give us a report back on how you do. I might be heading up there at the end of the month or in mid Feb for once.

Hey Drake, have you heard anything about the fishing on Island this winter for perch and eyes? How about moose lake?

Are you guys talking about the island lake just south of northome? If so I am staying there next weekend nice middway point between winnie and red but maybe we should give this lake a try too?

Yes, the Island Lake just outside of Northhome. We haven't had anyone on Island for the past two weeks. We have a couple of groups of folks that hit Island mid to late December every year and this year they were able to reel in a few walleye fishing off the bars but not like in the past three years, and they were wondering if it had to do with the changes in the weather and pressure we were having at that time. The past ten days we haven't had anyone head over to there..the bite has been going well at Upper Red and everyone was just heading there. I did talk to a couple groups who were at Upper Red yesterday and said that they reeled in some nice slabs, but not the limits like it has been, so curious to talk to the rest of the folks this morning who were at Red yesterday. Definitely post a report when you get back perchjerkin!

Since I grew up in Northome I can give you some spots to try out. There is a rock pile between stony point and the island. That is a really good spot to start. You may even try the drop off just out from the access. There is a point there at holds some nice fish. Work the West side south of the access and the little bay on the west side. Another good spot would be right off Stony point. There is a nice break there and produces some nice fish.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Where are you staying on Island? An excellent eating place is the Dockside Rest. you must try the ribs, they are world class! cool.gif

Tell them Woody sent you and they may give up some more hot spots. grin.gif

Like many of the replies you've gotten I have never tried Island in the winter. Probably my loss as I've done quite well on Walleye's in the summer there. I do however know of a lake that you should try very close to there if your interested in some jumbo perch and good walleye fishing as well. The walleyes can be harder to find but the jumbo's are everywhere. I hope I'm not giving away any local secret but the name of the lake is Shallow Pond. mad.gif It's 15 miles north of Squaw Lake on MN 46 right next to the road very close to where you are staying. Look it up on the MN DNR lakefinder website and you'll see what I mean. Here is the address if you don't allready know the location. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

Hillbillies is right. Shallow pond is an excellent fishing hole. When I was in high school in the 90's it had a habit of freezing out. Therefore, the DNR let you catch as many as you liked. We did well on perch and northern.

Excellent recommendation Hillbilly!

I haven't fished there since 02 but the action was hot n heavy then and as shallow as it is I could see where freeze out could definately be a problem. From looking at the DNR report done in 2003 fishing should still be excellent as the walleye, perch and gator count is still right up there. It is a very small lake though so if anyone plans on giving it a try please only keep what you want to eat and CPR the big ones.

We are going to be staying on the south end at October Ridge, but not for a few weeks. We are totally portable so, we will work at it. I'm am just excited to go fishing for several days straight!! The map sure makes Island look interesting. If it's slow we'll adapt and maybe try Shallow Pond. Thanks for the tips everyone and I won't forget to report our results.. smile.gif

perchjerk- Go right out in front of October Ridge and sit on the drop off. I have fished that break lots and it is a very good spot! cool.gif

Thanks for the info guys, my bunch is staying at october ridge next weekend ,if the ice conditions dont improve some on winnie these spots might help alot thank you.

Just returned from the Winnie Ice Series, the ice is THIN!!! We went out from Denny's about 3 miles and drilled holes and they were only 12". I would not go off the roads too far if I was you. People had sleds and ATV's to go north to the humps and high banks. The bite was sloooow. We only caught 4 perch and one slot walleye. We hole jumped a lot and also watched the Aqua View some. The fishh were there, but not hungry. They would sit next to your hook and just stair at it. We tried almost the whole tackle box and still nothing. Hopefully the bite will be on for you guys.

Woodman thanks for the report. is there alot if slush on the lake? we were hoping to avoid dragging the wheelers up. we might want to consider hitting a couple of smaller lakes and maybe find more ice. Now it sounds like it might get real cold the end of next week not shaping up the best so far. If worst comes to worst we can just key on red lake and spend a little more time on beverages and cards . thanks for all the info

Swampman- I don't know if Island has any slush or not. I have not been up there this winter yet. We do have lots of snow and all the lakes that I have been on up here have some slush on them. You may want to be safe and have the wheelers just in case. We are getting some snow right now, I am not sure how much we will get.

What do you guys think of October Ridge? I think we are going to try it out this sping. It looks great. I saw where some of you guys or gals have been staying there and thought I would solict an opinon.

Did anyone try shallow Pond? I am heading to our hunting shack this weekend it is located on HWY 1 on wildwood road about 10 miles east of Northome. We are going thurs. to Sun. want to try out a lake besides Red. Where is the spot to go on Shallow Pond?

We stayed at october ridge last weekend, it is a older no frills resort, we stayed in the mobile home they had there because we had 6 guys and it had a little more room than the cabins. It was a older trailor but was clean with newer appliances. owner had the heat going when we got there and was a nice guy. had a deer feeder right in front of the trailor and we watched about a dozen deer there each morning. The resort has a nice view of the lake . We looked at lake map of the lake and it looks like a fun lake to fish in the summer. We didnt fish shallow pond while we were up there it was just to cold we only fished red lake. Unloaded the portables crawled in them and pretty much stayed in one spot ,it was just to cold to do much exploring. Hope this helps.

Swampman, We are going to be staying in the same cabin/trailer, i beleieve. Was anyone fishing Island? How did Red treat you guys? Last question-Can you get around with the 4*4's at all?

nobody was fishing island lake ,there was like one house on it on that end. we caught about 40 crappies between the 2 days. fished fri from 1-6 and sat from about noon till 7 sat. caught most of the fish sat, weather was brutal fri and managable sat. we drove around on red with the trucks no problem off road but they have gotten some more snow and drifting since we left. we caught quite a few walleyes also that kept things intereting. I got one pushing 7# sat, only one northern and a handful of perch. hope this helps ,good luck!

Talked to my father last night in Northome and he said that the fishing on Island is very very slow right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, heading out tomorrow for the trip. I think were going to fish Red on Friday then fish Island Sat,Sun. Hopefully we'll find a few Waldo's and perch there. Sounds to me like the lake is pretty much desserted, but maybe that won't be so bad!? We hope.

perchjerkin, good luck on your trip. I now am planning on coming up after my basketball season is over. So that will be either the first or second weekend in march.

If you get into some perch on Island they should be some nice ones. When we come up I know that we will try Island for some perch and maybe a crappie or 2. I dont hear to many people fishing it for crappies.

Give us a report when you get back, it'll be interesting on how you do on Island.

Otherwise has anyone else been giving Island lake a shot here and there?

If you are searching for crappies in Island lake try the deep hole on the west side of the island. Go from the point of the island to the point on shore and right in the middle is a nice hole that you can find some nice crappies in.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Well we ended up fishing Red Fri,Sat and Sun. Never seems to go as planned. We started fishing Island Sat morning. Two of us went out front of October Ridge, nice drop, nothing but 6in prech everywhere. Myself and a friend checked spots close to Dockside and the Public access. Looked with camera and found small perch everywhere. Travel on the lake was snowmobile only,to much snow/slush. Nobody wanted to deal with lake conditions so headed back to Red in the afternoon. For four people our crappie total was Fri-19,Sat-11,Sun-1. They weren't flying through the holes, to say the least. Very light bite, sometimes you have to coax them of the bottom 4 times before they would bite, if at all. Sun the only crappie caught was on a wax worm. crazy.gif

We called several area resorts in the area. The fishing was slow everywhere we called.. OH well still an awesome trip.

Island lake is aprox. 5 miles south of Northome, MN on HWY 46. It is an excellent walleye lake and has lots of species to choose from. They have put a slot limit on it starting this spring, and they are stocking it regularly.

Thank you very much, also, is there a plowed road that would allow a front wheel drive car to axis the lake?

Thanks, Ryan

Dapro- I have no idea if there is a plowed road out there. If you go to the access, you can walk out and find the drop off. It is only about 300 yards out there. I would suspect there are a few houses out there.

grin.gif

The slt is great news for the lake

i have been going there since i was a 12

20 years now it seems like just when it gets going it gets fished out. I fish 100 plus days a year on diferent bodies of water and one of the best days I ever had was on Island 6 years back with my 7 year old son at teh time. (probaly why it was so memoralble) We did very well one day but since that year it has been subpar

Lab