• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bigV

windshield washer fluid

bigV

I have been using windshield washer fluid lately to shoot thru the ice with my vex fl-18. the thing is when it's cold, it doesn't freeze as quick and get better contact with the ice. A couple guys I was with thought this a good idea but 1 guy questioned if I wasn't poisoning the lake with the blue stuff-

i kinda blew it off saying there is more pollution starting your 2-cycle outboard on the lake once in the summer than I would pollute all winter with a few pints of ww fluid--

any thoughts??

Bandersnatch

Just one: Don't.

Hibbing

Try rubbing alcohol (on the ice not over the lips)! It won't freeze and won't pollute the lake.

LABS4ME

I'll second that! and I bet the CO won't have the same it's O.K. attitude if sees you using that stuff. Try carrying a portable propane torch with the "clicker" lighter. I've used those when searching on ice... just start it, melt the ice for 10-20 seconds, and make your reading.... works like a charm.

Good Luck!

Ken

Twitter

Why would you intentionally pour any pollutant into a lake ??!!!

DEFINITELY.....DON'T DO IT !!

I'm sure any CO would write you up in a heartbeat !!

O2BFSHN

?

I don't know, I guess I've used washer fluid on my truck before on the ice. And I can tell ya that not all of it gets on the windshield. Plus I do believe the crap from guls and various birds are also toxic. I also know that a lot of truck s leak the stuff all over heck!

But tecnically it does harm the environment.

Finlander

Carry a small bottle of spring water that you could keep in your pocket and pour some where you want to put your transducer. Won't pollute anything that way. wink.gif

NINETOE

Hey I pour fryer grease,old engine oil, and all my empty beer cans down the hole..

Any thoughts on that?

walleye_nut

I think you're OK unless the old engine oil is 30 weigh, because it is to light and will float on top of the water. 40 weigh sinks right to the bottom wink.gif

NINETOE

Hey thanks man! I wouldnt want to pollute the enviroment.

huskminn

I seem to get the clearest through-the-ice signal when I carry a squirt bottle and use an application of the following mix: 30% hydrocholoric acid (3 mole is fine) and 68% generic antifreeze (I prefer the bright yellow stuff) with just a splash of Roundup.

Sometimes if you leave it long enough, you don't even have to fire up the auger--just drop a line through the melt hole.

WALTERCRAFT

BETTER REPLY BIG V OR IT'LL NEVER STOP!!

USE WATER AND USE IT QUICKLY, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE, REALLY.

WALT.

wall eyell be

Quote:

I seem to get the clearest through-the-ice signal when I carry a squirt bottle and use an application of the following mix: 30% hydrocholoric acid (3 mole is fine) and 68% generic antifreeze (I prefer the bright yellow stuff) with just a splash of Roundup.

Sometimes if you leave it long enough, you don't even have to fire up the auger--just drop a line through the melt hole.

Yahoo, somebody finally found the solution for those times when you need (but didn't bring) an extension !!

fishermatt

what about all the whizzing that takes place on the ice??? do you think that just evaporates? Let's see, 5000 people all swilling, average 3 whizzes per trip= 15000 per day!

Step 1: drink 12 beers and hold it

Step 2. Plenty of warm liquid to put your transducer in.

Step 3. If it's yellow you're mellow, but if it's clear, it's BEER!

barebackjack

Quote:

I have been using windshield washer fluid lately to shoot thru the ice with my vex fl-18. the thing is when it's cold, it doesn't freeze as quick and get better contact with the ice. A couple guys I was with thought this a good idea but 1 guy questioned if I wasn't poisoning the lake with the blue stuff-

i kinda blew it off saying there is more pollution starting your 2-cycle outboard on the lake once in the summer than I would pollute all winter with a few pints of ww fluid--

any thoughts??

Now I guess you would ask yourself this, would you drink the washer fluid tongue.gif

NINETOE

HEY!!!HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smirk.gifblush.gifconfused.gif

Chad711

Use the pink colored stuff, non toxic...

barebackjack

HEY Father Nelson, Hold your own beer and watch Roger shocked.gif

bigV

WOW

Very impressed how enviromentally sensitive everyone is---

I wouldn't think of leaving a blue trail on URL!

Maybe will just use Windsor next time and save myself the trouble of drinking it and cycling it thru.

Then I'd be short of the artifical intelligence it provides however---

it doesn't come naturally for me

PYROPAL

i think that windshield washer fluid is pretty much just water with various alcohol mixed in, either isopropyl, methyl, or the one that won't make you blind, just forgetful. i can't remember the name of that one right now. i would bet that cheap vodka on the ice would work wonders, and be useful in other ways too. would a c.o. write you up for spilling your drink on the lake? grin.gif

PYROPAL

besides, by the end of the day aren't we all dumping alcohol on the lake? just filtered it a bit with our kidneys!

hawkeye43

i started using a propane torch with a click starter and melt a puddle to set the tranducer in. works great!!!!! Could save the alcohol from the kidneys in a bottle and use that blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

bigV

Doesn't the gas released from a propane torch destroy the ozone layer?

One last comment from the manufacturer--

"Windshield washer fluid is made up of two kinds of alcohol, plus water. the alcohol biodegrades rapidly and is not environmentally harmful."

O2BFSHN

I Second That!!!

stellarfisher

Because this subject fascinated me so much, I called up the DNR and they said that putting any substance on the ice was considered illegal. Including any types of washer fluid or alcohol.