• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was on a lake not too long ago, and I have a new 8" Strikemaster Lazer Hand auger that will cut ice fine the first 3" then just shaves a little off at a time, does anyone know whats wrong or am I doing it wrong (don't know how that is done) or how to fix it? I am at a loss for words, new auger not cutting! any help appreciated

May be bad blades from the shop. I had one with blades that were fine for about a week then they went. Go to Marine General( or whoever does sharpening by you) and trade the blades in for some resharpened ones and try that. If that dont work take a piece of about 3" long by 1/2" wide piece of cardboard and put it between the blade and auger. Of course you will have to take blades off. The cardboard should be at the level of the screws or higher. Your trying to increase the pitch of the blades. If it dont work take it back. Im betting its just bad blades.

Ofcourse those shaver hand augers dont cut a whole lot on a turn. My old Mora cut more per turn but was harder to turn even when sharp.

I hate to say this but are you cutting a straight hole? If you get to crooked that could happen.

Good point Up North. Make sure the blades arent rusty as well. Im still betting its either bad blades or bad pitch. If its not the blades take it back and get a new one.

I had brand new blades last year and it cut like a champ till I borrowed it to my brother. Took it out this year and it sucks.

I asked him about it and the only thing we could come up with is he had bounced it off the blades trying to shake off ice shavings that were frozen on.

The blades were no longer straight and true and now the leading cutting edge wasn't touching.

I can't understand why it cuts for 3" and stops, that just doens't make sense. Either it cuts or it doesn't has been my experience.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Would you by any chance drilling in slush?

Nope, I'm going to try the cardboard trick today and see if it helps on Friday.

If it was very cold out the day you had problems, think about this. Those new lazer blades are very thin at the cutting edge with a very long taper. They may have gotten cold and were not shedding the ice shavinges cleanly. Try to spray some PAM on those blade before you do this blade angle modification. If you alter the unit, you void the warranty. If the Pam doesn't help, I'd return it and ask for another.

I have a similar issue with a lazer mag express. I took it out for the very first time and it cut like a dream, but I put her down to do some fishing and when I used it again several hours later it just won't cut. it cuts very well until the blades begin cutting the full diameter and then it doesn't cut at all.

StrikeMaster said that I should try new blades, so I am waiting to get them, but they also said that the pitch of may blades could be off.

It is hard for me to understand how that could happen seeing as I have drilled no more than 20 holes with it.

Sometimes you have to futz around with metal shims to get things just right. No way that should be with a new auger, because a guy would think it'd come out of the factory ready to rock. But sometimes it's just the way it is.

Power or hand auger, those blades need to be at the right angle and SHARP. I touched up my 8-inch hand Lazer last winter just before walking into a BDub laker lake. It had been cutting nicely, but I wanted it even better, so I ran a few light passes with the sharpener recommended by Strikemaster. It took Chunkytrout and I all our weight bearing down on the auger to get it to bite after I made the edge "better." We believe my touch-up changed the angle of cut on the blades just enough to make them skip along and cut poorly.

Blade exchanges at area bait stores, where you give them your old blades and get a set of used and factory resharpened blades for a reduced price, have served me well, both on my 8-inch hand auger and the Strikemaster XL-3000 10-inch. The hand auger blades are 10 bucks or less using that exchange process (I like it because it takes the uncertainty out of things.)

However you go, good luck! cool.gif

Thats it I'm fed up with it, I also talked to strikemaster and they said bring it back, Strikemaster also said that if the people at the place I bought it from (Chalstroms) give me any trouble, I have to call strikemaster, talk about customer service. Also the girl at the register didn't give me a receipt, but I remebered to get one and she typed a new one for me.

If there are any dings in the blade it wont cut very well. A 8" hand auger is a tough one without anything wrong with it.

The more I think about your problem the more I think you may have some crappy blades. Those shaver type blades are so touchy it is hard to believe, you look at the blades and they seem sharp enough to shave with and one little spot has a nick in it and they cut like crap. I would see if the place you bought it will replace the blades, they may have gotten damaged anywhere along the line. And make sure that you keep the blade guard on whenever you ain't cutting ice they nick real easy.

msm...

So where you able to bring you auger back? I wouldn't think you'll have a problem with the bait shop they are very nice people. The thing about naming the place and the people is that it's a small world. In this case the girl you are most likely talking about is my Sister in-law. Let me know how it turns out please. If for some reason you have trouble I have a hand auger you can use until things are taken care of. Give a post and I'll get you my number.

Things will get better smile.gif,

Tom (BD110)

msm...

I gave my Sister in-law a call and she said that she has not sold a hand auger and there are one or two more girls that work there. I told her you were having trouble so if you have not taken it back yet get er done... I'm hoping they can figure out what is wrong with it so you can get some fishing done.

Keep us posted smile.gif,

Tom (BD110)

I back what BD110 said. Chalstroms is very good with their customer service! They have also donated some things to me in the past for classes I run at work. Nice people and great bait.

No problem at all, I got my money back and went to Gander for some much need jigs, misc items and a new bucket. oh and some leather choppers 1/2 off at Marine Gen. (all gloves 1/2 off)All I have to do is either borrow somebodies auger or tag along with someone that has one,,, for now. grin.gif

oh Tom,

Thanks for giving your sister-in-law a call, man people are friendly on this site! grin.gif

Northlander,

If msm gives you an e-mail I have a hand auger he can use also. I might be closer to him the you are. Please give him my cell number if that works for you.

Take care cool.gif,

Tom (BD110)

I received my new blades last night, so I am going to give it a try this weekend and I will report back about my findings next week.

I have to resolve thsi issue before next weekend as I will be fishing up the Gunflint next weekend.