• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

$155 to shoot at coyotes??

Rost

Before I begin, please don't think I am bashing the state I was born and raised in (MN). I am just baffled..

I just checked on what it would cost me to head home for a few weekends and hunt coyotes with the boys. Yep $155! Wow, I could understand that fee if I came to MN and set a trap line for mink, coon, etc.. but hunting coyotes? Since when were coyotes a Minnesota prize possession? In fact, in 2000-2001, rumor was that Yellow Medicine County (just to our north) was trying to implement a bounty for them. Farmers want them dead!

I guess they can set the prices wherever they please. I know many of you pay $65 for a few limits of our (SD) fish and even more for 10 days of pheasant hunting.

SD has a separate license for coyote hunting all together. $35 you can come here and shoot um up. (Which I still feel is too much considering the fact that our GFP spends a boat load trying to control them.)

Maybe the gang will donate the fur money from the first 10 yotes to my license fund???

If your are willing to come here and kill coyotes I'd give you a license for $10 but I'd also require you to kill all the racoon you see and any stray cats that are hunting our pheasant population...

that is ridiculous, so is the $100 to shoot some pheasants for the weekend. this non-res. licensing is getting out of hand.

jn

Residents are not required to shoot "unprotected mammals" (page 28 of hunting regs).

UNPROTECTED ANIMALS

Residents are not required to have a license to take unprotected species. o

Unprotected Mammals

Weasels, coyotes, gophers, porcupines, striped skunks, and all

other mammals for which there are no closed seasons or other protection

are unprotected animals. They may be taken in any manner,

except with the aid of artificial lights or by using a motor vehicle to

drive, chase, run over, or kill the animal. Poisons may not be used

except in accordance with all label regulations of the state Dept. of

Agriculture and federal Environmental Protection Agency.

Unprotected Birds

House sparrows, starlings, common pigeons, chukar partridge,

quail other than northern bobwhite, and monk parakeets are unprotected

and may be taken at any time.

Does a non-res also need one? it doesn't say besides the non-res furbearing license. Did you call the DNR?

tv, yeah it says they are required to have a furbearer and small game to take racoon, bobcat, gray fox, red fox, and yotes. 156 for the furbearer and $78 for the small game so really hes going to have to spend $234! how ridicluous!!!!!!!!!!

jn

Page 23, it states the non residents may not take coon, fox, coyotes etc.. without a non-resident fur license.

O-well, I guess I'll have to pony up.

I feel for ya Rost. Most states let you shoot yotes and fox with any small game or fishing license. I am heading up to ND this weekend to do some fishing at Devils lake area. I am also bringing my varmit rifle and do some calling some evening. With my 15 dollar 3 day fishing license I just had to buy a 2 dollar certificat to shoot predators. Now that how is should be done.

Tom

If the state is going to charge that much for non residents to hunt Yotes then they should hold the money as a deposit and give the non res a $10 credit for each Yote they kill. Shoot enough and the trip is free!

I agree with you 100%. These non-resident prices are outrageous. I was born and raised in Minnesota. I have hunted and fished there all my life. I have put alot of money into food plots for deer and other wildlife. I hunt 1 mile away from my parents house. On my dads land that will be mine someday. I have to pay $135 every year to get two (Contact US Regarding This Word) days to hunt with my dad and brother and the rest of my family. We used to go both weekends but that is about double the price. It broke my dads heart when me and my brother told him we might not be able to go next year because of the rising prices of hunting our land. The Government doesn't take these sort of things into thought. Hunting is a bond with your family and I look forward to it every year, just seems as if the whole idea of hunting gets stained when politics get involved. I think we out of staters should have to pay more but come on. A instate deer hunting license is what like $23. That is a $112 difference for 2 days of hunting with a out of state license. When does it stop climbing? I just get rattled by that. I heard it is going to double next year now. I am not bashing MN either. I plan on moving back someday I love it there, but just can't right now. You can imagine how I feel about paying that much to shoot a mangy good for nothing coyote that destroys everything in the wild. MN and ND need to get over all this crap and drop the prices of this stuff. frown.gif Hope I didn't anger to many of you. Not what I am trying to do. Just adding my opinion.

A non res dee license in WI is 160 dollars,ridiculous! Want to hear even more ridiculous? I hunt as a non resident in MN, where I also grew up my entire life and fished as welll as hunted from the time I was of legal age, non resident deer tag in MN is 135$ as stated before UNLESS you come from a state where their NR license fee is more thqan MNs, of which you will pay the difference! Now how in the heck Are we as sportsmen, to be held accountable for the bills and regulations these people have passed??? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of, thank god the lady at the counter looked past it, I encourage people to loook it up in your hunting regs.

if i rember correctly the price of a nonres liscense is the same in your home state only for bowhunting. want to know rediculos 100 dollars for 10 days of waterfowl or pheasant hunting in south dakota.when a nonres can come to minnesota and hutn the whloe season for 65 bucks and that is both ducks and pheasants

I just think non res license are ridicuious period. I went to buy a SD fishing license last weekend $60 to fish that is nuts. It is getting that way in every state everyone says that ND is crazy. I am plannig to go prong horn hunting next fall in Western ND I have some land lined up to hunt. I have a buddy that now lives in SD he is a former ND res. now living there. He said he would be interested in go but then I found out he can't take a goat with a firearm just a bow and that would cost over a hundered bucks that is just plain dumb. We all rant at times but I guess there really isn't anything we can do to change it I guess.

Now how in the heck Are we as sportsmen, to be held accountable for the bills and regulations these people have passed???

The answer to that is you voted in the politicians that came up with the fees or put people in charge of this that made the fees this high. It is ridiculous though and everyone that has a problem with it should let their representatives know.

Ortonville,

You make a good point!

At first I was questioning the bow license change for non residents this past fall but now I find myself totally agreeing with it.

MN should set a minnimum on all license fees and if person from another state comes to hunt or fish, either charge the set minnimum or if the applicant's state charges more for the same type of non res. license charge that amount.

It sucks but it is only fair

Well I guess we could add Iowa to the black ball list also, If A nonresident wanted to go down there and hunt yotes or fox you would have to shell out $200 for a nonresident furharvester fee. ouch!!! And lets not get into there NR deer hunting fee.

I'm also a life-long MN resident turned Fargoan. I've never fished or hunted in ND. I think the licenses should all be the same price for everyone and not a punishment for what another state does. I think all prices are too high across the board. Where I hunt deer the DNR does nothing of value for the money spent on even a $28 deer license. Nothing. Where I fish is almost always at LOW and I question where my $36 or $18 as resident goes. They shouldn't even have coyote licenses, they're a menace. The reason out of state licenses are high are residents in the metro area and residents in Fargo and other places. The small towns that have the game and fish like Baudette, Warroad, and tons of small towns out west in ND would love to have better seasons and rates. People in metro areas want "their" game saved for them. If we could ditch this attitude we'd all have a better experience.

Neighbor you need an out of state furbearers liscence in ND also that will cost you 25 bucks. It is required and is only good for fox and coyote. you also need the cetificate for 2 bucks and the general for 13 bucks for any kind of hunting. antelope bow just like deer is 200 bucks shocked.gif they went up from 150 2 years ago. so I pay 215 bucks to bowhunt deer and an extra 25 to go after coyotes.

Definately seems to go both ways. Lifelong Minnesotan that took up my engineering degree in the fruitful plains of North Dakota's NDSU in Fargo.

Being a whitetail enthusiast I thought great, I'll have two states to bow hunt now with the state reciprocity agreements. Well, seems that Minnesota offers all other students from neighboring states its licenses at resident fees which is also the same for those attending Wisconsin schools I'd believe.

However, after checking into it I found out I'd have to shell out $180 or so bucks (from my recollection at that time) to hunt ND despite being a full time student. I guess ND's reciprocity only goes so far as tuition is concerned. I told them to keep their license and I continued my trips across the river to my state of MN.

Price gouging non-residents seems to be getting more commonly practiced as hunting pressures increase. Honestly though, can anyone here really say that if their state decided to offer non-residents exceptionally low prices for licenses that he/she would welcome a barrage of additional hunters/fisherman on the already crowded public land/water and watch the non-residents trap, catch, shoot, etc. game and haul it back to their state?

The discussion must be two sided. We all love to hunt and fish different states as economically as possible but do we really want it to be cheap for our neighbors to infiltrate the close conveniences of our land and water we as residents support the majority of the funding for?

If you can honestly answer 'yes' you would welcome an influx of our neighbors than you are more a man than I. In the risk of sounding greedy, I am already concerned about the future of available land to the hunters of my state and I can't imagine what it will be like in 30 years.

First of all, I think you are definitely in the majority view and I'm in the minority. I think that if you're going to "gouge" non-residents that the private sector should be the ones to profit and not the state/DNR. I think that what ND is doing is worse with their different seasons and such. I don't think that there would be a rush of out-of-staters everywhere. I think it would help out the ones that are coming anyway and encourage some more. They'd be more likely to spend extra money in the private sector if they didn't have to spend it on licenses and such.

BuckBlaster- You have a great point.

By looking at a lot of these posts, I feel that the biggest reason for many to cross a state line to hunt/fish is the fact that we have ties to that state. (Maybe not so much fishing, but hunting for sure). I really couldn't justify going back to MN to hunt coyotes if I didn't have relatives/friends back there.

I read you Rost, and understand your sentiments towards you past in MN. Tell you what, move back and I'll take you out coyote hunting!

I'd not really considered your point of view Piker but should have as much of the rural businesses benefit from the out of staters. My opinions would side with you in that those who are making a trip will likely make it regardless of price, but if the prices were low enough would they make 2 trips a year...3...etc thus generating more commerce yet flooding our public lands and waters further.

I guess my $.02 would say that in a perfect world license fees should remain much higher for non-residents. Then it would be great if businesses could register with the state DNR offices as businesses that support outdoor enthusiasts, promote catch and release, push proper hunting ethics, etc. Then, if a non-resident were to use these businesses they could validate their license, so to speak, and use X% (to be determined by the state) of their license spendings on supplies, lodging, etc. at these businesses.

This should be a win win situation. State gets money, businesses see commerce, sportmen are using businesses that promote the ideals of outdoorsmanship, and the traditions of our outdoor activities have a better chance of remaining intact because we'd now have a machine at our disposal for driving the ethics of outdoorsmanship. And for the liberal shop owners who do not care to take part in such a ridiculous program unsupportive of their beliefs I have two words..."good luck".

Businesses would be responsible for tracking the commerce associated with the non-residents to keep the resource requirement impact on the DNR at a minimum. You know no business owner would disagree if it meant he can up his paycheck.

Sure would be nice if a bait shop owner could sell a license almost assure he is compensated by the service he provides when he can say, "oh and by the way, you know that X% of that license money can be spent here".

...but, that is in a perfect world...

To the hunt!

How about the $495 I paid for a bull tag in CO last fall, I think it might be higher in other western states. The issue there is trying to keep non-residents hunting there - particularly on ranches. If tag prices go up and hunting is no longer attractive, the ranchers lose income and the result is often that they are less concerned about the habitat and are more likely to sell land for development purposes. Or so I read somewhere. confused.gif

Hey Rost,

So have ya ponied up yet? Just kidding I think it's a bunch of b/s also. So how has the gang been doing this year? I have a couple running in my section, but I can't seem to get a good look. If you do make it over give us a call.

When do you want to head up to Waubay or meet at Thompsen? I'm sure the Buckster would love it.

F4F-

Hey, how are things going? Have not seen you much on FM lately. You must be to busy working on our Versatile huh?

This was the first weekend everyone got together. They ended up with 3 on Saturday plus they wounded one that ended up in a culvert. Sunday was a bust. According to JR, they had 5 going, but got none. I guess it is pretty tuff going yet. They still have plenty of places to hide.

I plan on coming back at least once to "ride along"...un armed of course wink.gif

My aunt Vickie (Tom's wife) caught a 10 lb eye the other night! Now she will have a fish on the wall bigger than uncle Tom's. You might have to give him some grief about that if you see him. (Actually, he is pretty darn proud of her).

Good luck!

Rost,

Buck and I got out Sat and only seen one. He missed! That's great about that EYE. Did it come out of the same lake he sunk the front end of his pickup? Steve H told me about that last week. Sounded like he was a little scared.

Let us know when we should come out there for a day or so.

Later

Yep, same lake. He caught the eye, then fished a total of 18 hr without another bite.

Maybe see you boys around somtime!

Later!

Hearin reports of dead yotes hangin around here after the weekend. Gonna try to add to that this weekend. Nothin better than fresh snow!!!!