• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake ICE Event - Sat. Jan 22nd

I may swing on out for a little while to meet a few of you FM'ers.. Maybe throw a tip up down, but I cannot stay for the whole event. If I'm not planning on participating in the 'tournament' part, is it still okay to show up?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• hanson

• metrojoe

• Kylersk

Or better yet, what time would this event (prizes given out) end? I'm trying to see if I have enough time...

2:00-2:30 will be the awarding of trophies and the drawing for prizes. There are some great prizes to be had for the $10 ($15 at the gate) entry fee. Definitely worth sticking around for.

I'd love to stick around, but I need to know when the last prize is normally given out. I think I could stay till 3pm at the very latest... Would It be worth while to enter?

Be advised, there is a second Ice fishing contest on the same day on Med. I think it is a Boy Scout benefit.

This will be the last time I post until I see you guys at the event. I'll be there early helping out. Looking forward to a good event and meeting many of you Saturday....sounds like a great turnout will happen.

Hey everyone, just wanted to say ahead of time how proud I am for this event to be staged on Medicine Lake. There will be some real nice fish caught during this event so have a great time out there. I'll be busy for awhile taking care of things at the shop but definitely planning on spanning out around the lake with the 4-wheeler and popping in to pay you a visit. See you soon,

Lakeman

ATM, I found a portable, but thanks for the offer. See y'all tomorrow.

This will probably be an extremely busy but worth while morning for you Joe - Just make sure you get a chance to enjoy it. See you Tomorrow!

Hey Joe,

It was great meeting you yesterday! It's too bad I can't make it out tomorrow (work comes first) for the tourney but I'll be out next week to try and drown some of your minnows! You have a first class bait store.

Have a great event!

Ole the Guide

Well folks... It seems as if the weather gussers may have got one right and we're gonna get a few inches of the white stuff.

If I'm at all "human" after plowing, I'll try and swing by the event. If I don't make it..

Have Fun!! & GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!

WWG, I'll be out there but I no longer have your email address, else I'd of let you know that way. If your looking for me, my license plate is '1Gman' on a blue fullsize chevy pickup.

17 for a high temp.

30 mph winds.

6-9 inches of fresh snow.

Another adventure

See you all at 6:00.

Ron,fishkid and friends

Ole, had a very nice time talkin with you, and guess what, it can only get better from here. Really appreciate the over the top compliment on the shop.....very humbling !

Fishtank....I hear ya man and I'll be gettin it goin....now with all the white stuff......we'll see how well rested I am !

This thing is gonna happen and I'll see to it !!

Gotta go Gotta Git !!

Lakeman

ps. Hey powerstroke, need a job ?

I'm gonna be a fishin' with you all in a couple hours.

Why am I still up tongue.gif?

See you in the blizzard!

Wow...what a great time!

You guys throw on a great event!

I got to try a Nils auger and I won an otter!

The fish didn't bite much for me but I still had fun.

Matt,

a special thanks to you for rescuing me! Thanks for the ride back to my truck! You're a life saver!

Count me in for next year!

You guys are really class acts!

And it was good to meet you Med Man and loc9. If you guys ever want to get together to fish just let me know (plus I have a two wheel drive truck so I'll always need a push)!

it was good to meet you too tisch, same to you med man. and i can't forget the captain. moby, always a pleasure. even though you didn't fish much.

im still laughing at what you said when your raffle number was called tisch. that was good.

to everyone else i met, it was a pleasure. and those who i helped get unstuck, thanks for giving me something to do for a few minutes...........loc9

Thanks to everyone for braving the early morning elements and showing up. It turned out to be decent day. To the rest of you, you're wimps. grin.gif

I kid you of course. Hey let's say we all get together for the Minnetonka event on Feb. 5th. I want to see Dennis Steele quaking in his boots when we have to deal with about 300 people in the morning. If you've never had the chance to tip-up fish in Spring Park Bay, your time spent on that day will be well worth it. There's good panfish action as well. You might want to bring one of your kids since it's almost guaranteed action. See you all there.

BTW - every kid took home a door prize or two today.

tisch,

Not a problem, that was a long walk smile.gif Glad to hear you had a good time and you can bet we'll meet up again next year out on the ice, if not sooner!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I had a great time today as well.

Perchjerker proved his name worthy, although I don't think the total weight added up to a quarter pound.

Big Mike spent his first ever day on the ice catching a few fish, and took away the Ice Magnet award for most fish in our group.

I managed a few perch, and nothing else.

Giant Jerkpot took the Hoop Award with a big fat ZERO. tongue.gif

Not a bad day though. Fun to get out and meet some new faces to match up with some FM names.

I am planning on hitting the Tonka event, and look forward to another fun day on the ice.

My 1st time on the ice for the ICE Series was well worth it!

It was nice to finally meet Matt, Rick and others today. G-man and I got out there late but nice to catch the weigh in. Thanks also to Matt for putting us on a nice crappie bite. We stayed out until 8:00 or so and the crappie were still biting when we left. The bite was slower after dark but the size of the fish did increase.

What a great day for hitting the ice! Sun was out, fish were biting, and got to meet quite a few fellow FM'ers. I'm terrible with remembering names, so.. I'm not gonna name names. smile.gif

Oh, Matt, I need a new avitar, could you email me (kylersk at yahoo dot com) the pictures you took? Thanks in advance.

Well the day started out fine yesterday. I think I showed around 6:15am. What fine weather it was :+). I got all registered and medman and myself got out and set up. We showed some crops on the vex. I got one small one right off the bat and missed two others right away. Then they started coming through pretty thick on the vex. Then the phone rang and it was the lakeman. I told him previously that i would scoop minnows in the bait shop if he needed a hand. Due to his plowing buisness, he had a lot to do obcviously. Half way back to the shop the check engine light came on and my truck died. Luckily lakeman came out and picked me up. After a couple of hours, medman drove me out to the truck to see if we could limp it back in from the middle of the lake (there were roads out there by this time). I got it started and onto the road but then had to jump start medmans car b/c the battery was dead. Got both vehicles back to the shore and decided to hang out and do some grilling. His dad brought a new battery for his car only to find out his alternator belt was gone, missing, disappeared! What a circus. I thnk I may have screwed up a oxygen sensor or something while blasting through the early morning drifts.The whole underside by the motor/tranny was caked with snow and ice. I started it periodically and it was still running rough so with 2 hours left I didnt feel like going out and having the same thing happen in the middle of the lake again so we just hung out and talked to people. I made it home all right but the check engine light is still on (loc9 followed me). All in all it was a great first class event with a lot of great people. I wish I would have met more of you or at least known who you fellas were when you came in the baitshop. IF there was a 3/4 bald fella in the shop scoopng minnows when you came in, that was me.

Hey lakeman are you comatose yet from all the running around plowing yesterday. I came home and crashed out for a while. I see I have some calls on the phone this morning. It rang during the prize ceremony so I put it on silent and forgot to turn the volume back up. My offer by the way is still standing if you need a hand any time.

Not sure if I will be able to make the tonka event or not but hope to.

Good seeing gman, lee the bonehead, tisch (but I see him every day), special, Loc9 and others of you who's names I cant remember. Also good to meet some of the staff finally after hearing the names for so long.

Did anyone ever see ebass or tonkaboy? Just kidding, I know they were no shows!! Hey ebass, I thought you had to be there at 5am to set up. WHATS UP WITH THAT?? NOW EVERYONE KNOWS THAT EBASS IS NOT AN EARLY RISER. Could it be that the weather was too bad for a fm staffer or moderator or whatever you are?? I couldnt resist giving you the needle.

Congrats to all the winners both raffle and fish

THANKS TO ALL THE STAFF FOR PUTTING ON A GREAT EVENT

I too had a great time, I didn't get much fishing done as Matt Johnson and I were driving around saying Hi to as many people as we could. Which is what we would have rather done anyway! However Matt and I and Pete Riola and Darrin did manage to pull a lot of crappies. And even wen out after the event for a few more since they were bitting!

Great day was had by all, my fave part was watchign the kids all go home with a prize... I hope to see you all at the Tonka event and then some!!!!

Nice to meet you as well Mr Pike. Glad to hear the crappies continued to bite for you.

Kylersk,

That was a nice pike you caught, I'll send you the pics once I get them downloaded later tonite...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

A big thanks to Joe Harty for having a headquarters Plowed at 4:30. And then a road going out. Thanks Joe!

It was good to put names to alot of faces. We had a pretty good turn out considering the weather we were looking at in the morning. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for the Tonka event in 2 weeks. Hope to see you all again and more.

And Tom Johnson, I don't think I'll need another meal for a week. That was awesome!!!

That was a good time!! It was great to meet so many FMers after our first storm of the season.

I would like to thank every one who braved the roads to come out. Die hard ice anglers..you are!

It did turn out to be a nice day after all.

I would also like to thank Joe Harty of Harty's Boatworks for all that he did to help us get this contest up and running. He is a first class guy and runs a first class buisness. If your going out to Medicine Lake, be sure to stop in at Harty's and say hi to him.

I would also like to thank Joel from JR's Tackle for comming out and bringing some more prizes. JR's has been very generous to us and it is appreciated by all.

OK, here is the results our snowy, windy Medicine Lake ICE Series.

Chris Balloy was our Medicine Lake Worlds Greatest Ice Angler and Big Fish winner!

Chris caught 10.6 lbs of fish with a very nice 8.7 lb pike!

Congratulations Chris!!

Runner up was Joe Moeller with a nice pike some gills and crappies. 7.2lbs. Very nice bag of fish!

To round out the top 5 we have:

3rd- Tim Patterson with a 6.5lb pike

4th- Derek Checco with another nice pike going 5.4lbs and some 'gills

5th- Brad Klimek with another nice 4.9lb pike.

That lake has some NICE pike!!

Congratulations to all!

Again thanks to everyone for comming out in less than perfect condintions.

Our next event will be the Burntside Laker Bash near Ely. This event has been a favorite of mine for a few years now.

We will also be at Minnetonka in Spring Park Bay in two weeks. If you had fun at Medicine or missed the fun this weekend, try to make this one. You'll have a good time!

Thanks to all the people that made this event happend. I had a good time it was nice to meet some more fmers. I must say I was really impressed by the Nils Master Auger, this is now on my must have list for next winter. Adam