• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Learn to fish

Fathead

I would like to vent a little here, so bear with me...

I would like to say something to the owner of the green lund Pro V who was out on the SE corner of 7 mile, Friday morning around 7 am. If you frequent this website, listen up.

Learn-to-fish-your-own-spots! I was hovering over a small patch of mud, no wider than a 25' span. I was into fish and low and behold, two guys in a green lund decided they wanted in on the action. They literally came within 10 to 15' of my boat and stayed there for approximately 15 minutes before I decided enough was enough. I decided to move north on the break. I started to poke a few more fish 40 yards up from the original spot, and , you guessed it, they decided that was a better spot.

After they moved up within 10 to 15' from me again, I decided to move back to my original spot. They decided they were going to pinch me off and proceeded to tail me back to the original spot.

Whoever you are, you really have some nerve.
Guys like you are better off fishing bullheads from shore. Learn to fish with some courtesy, or stay of the lake!

Hey Fathead, I know exactly how you feel. I can't believe the pressure 7-mile has received the past year or two, and I think that 2/3's of the people are real jerks. I used to go there and there would maybe be 2 other boats. Now a guy has to wait in line to get on the break! The one thing that really jerks my chain are the guys who use boards. 7-mile isn't that big and when there is already 30-40 boats on it, why in the world would you try to troll through everyone with a board 30' out each side?!?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought boards were mainly for shallow water trolling?

Hey Fathead,
I've had that same thing happen to me before and I feel your frustration.
Next time that happens to you, go about 40 yards away from the spot you're fishing (make sure you're not marking any fish) and throw out a marker. Then slowly get back to your spot. This might help keep them away from you for a little bit. Oh well, just be glad that you were able to get out on the lake.
Keep fishin'

[This message has been edited by Ya Hey Der (edited 06-16-2003).]

Fathead, give up on 7 and 9 (and inner finger of 8 mile sometimes) during the weekends its a complete clown show. Sure it is a great flat, but you will probably do better if you find a flat by yourself. It is a great flat for week days and you can still hit them in the morning and evening with reduced pressure if you are determined to fish the flat. 50 boats over 1 small flat tends to scatter the fish and make them a bit nervous to really come up and feed. Plus you will probably never do that good fishing 2nd hand heavily used spots.

Fathead - I agree there are a lot of idiots out there that do need to learn to fish for themselves. I swear I show so many people where fish are it's not even funny. And I'm certainly not a walleye pro or anything. I'm sure people like Derek and other guide must literally be followed from spot to spot.

I had people all over me both on Friday and Saturday. Fished the sand on Friday. Everyone else (2 boats) were fishing deep first thing in the morning near the area I like to start at so I started in the 12-14 foot range. We caught three fish fairly quickly and wouldn't you know it, up came both boats. They showed no courtesy and came right on top of us. I hadn't seen many fish on the graph so I left and went out deeper. On the way out we ran over fish in 24' of water so we stopped and worked them and proceeded to catch a few. Predictably, here came the boats again. We packed out and moved to the mud and were left alone.

Saturday we fished the mud and were practically miles away from anyone on a break which receives basically no pressure ever. But of course, boats attract boats so we had people stop by quite often. It's funny how there can litterally a mile around the edge of a flat and people come unreasonably close to you. I even had to yell at one guy to go find his own fish (He did leave).

Two weeks ago I even had a couple of guys come right up on me when I was fishing (catching) smallies in four feet of water. I couldn't believe it (I yelled at him too).

The bouy trick is a great one and it does work.

Yep, it's unbelievable. I get that on the Mpls. lakes all the time. There usually aren't too many boats out there so it's even more ridiculous when they set up right on your spot. It's even worse in the winter. Oh well, not much you can do. I want to try the fake buoy set-up though. Could be funny! Vern

Throw out a bouy with out any anchor weight and let it just float around and see if the magnatism works.

This reminds me of my own 7 Mile horror story. I was out there one day last year and it was quite busy. Probably too many boats for that size of a flat. The fishing began to taper off as more and more boats arrived. I was thinking about moving when the choice became simple. One fella dropped an anchor, fished out of the bow, and had his kids jumping off the back of the boat and the swim platform in the middle of all the fisherman. EEEEE-GAD. I couldn't believe it. It is a 132,000 acre lake and this guy was too selfish to go somewhere else to let his kids swim.

I moved over to a flat I had never fished before. I basically picked it on the map thinking it would be empty. It was... there wasn't another boat for miles. I pulled up there and we hammered the fish at triple the rate compared to what we were seeing anyone catch on 7 mile. We had a blast and it was a good learning experience on what to do when the circus starts up on the more popular flats.

Another common Mille Lacs cause for anger management is Launches - not the launches themselves but all the flies they attract. On another occasion I pulled up on Banana Flat just as the only boat there was pulling away. We sat alone for about an hour and a half on Banana enjoying some super fishing. Finally, off on the horizon I see a Launch headed our way. I said to my nephew, "If that Launch comes here, we're in trouble." Sure enough. The Launch arrived and set up anchor to slip bobber on the NE side of the flat. I counted 'em and within an hour we had the company of 22 other boats! It got so bad, the launch actually had to move.

I was on 7-mile last night (Mon 6/16). I was still amazed at the traffic for a weeknight. I have to say that I did talk to a couple of boats and they were very nice and courtious. I left and found my own mud and had much better luck.

yeah same thing happen to me when boats cut my trolling travel way and i usually force me to turn right or left till last year i fed up and i keep going on way (other fishermen knew me where i going ) so i keep going and you guess and you are right i cut thier line and they yelled at me i told them i cant hear cuz i am deaf so i have to clean up line from prop so i will not turn ever again

This last post brings out one of my greatest peeves also. I see this way too much , especially during the night ban. You have boats that zoom by from all angles and wonder why they cannot take an extra minute to go around. Maybe they are too reliant on their GPS track and don't bother to look? Its amazing there are not more accidents on busy weekends.
Dino

If they get so close that you can cast a 1/16 oz jig into their boat...then do just that.

If they have something to say about it, ask if they think they might be just a tad bit too close. If they don't notice, cast til you snag something (just preferably not them)

I am nice on the water until the invade my "bubble" of angling.

Here is a question. What do people feel is an appropiate amount of room one boat should give another?

With people like that I always say "Man, this is a big lake isn't it?" Depending on what kind of response I get, I usually let them know my intentions of that statement. smile.gif

FATHEAD
I have been there too! I was on the "midget" doing well and all by myself with my 2 boys when I had a couple of boats move in. I always bring my potato cannon. The guys in the alumacraft did not hang around too long!

After having a place on Mille lacs for a couple of years I have to say next to lake of the Woods ,Mille lacs is the worst lake to run into these type of people. My personal pet peeve are the guys who go straight thru a group of anchored boats on their way to and from their spots,most could easily go around but frequently come blasting straight thru. Always amazes me that nice people on shore can do some of the things I see out on the water.
Smokercraft

Who are these people. It drives me nuts. It gets to the point that when you set the hook and have one one, you have to wait until nobody's looking to lift it out of the water. Where do this people learn how to fish. I learned the proper rules of fishing when I was 5. I fished with my dad and grandpa while we were trying for sunnies and not having much luck. There was a boat 150 feet away that was hammering them. Like most 5 year olds, I wanted action and begged them to move in on them. They both made it very clear that they found the fish, they deserved to enjoy it. If we couldn't find fish, we need to keep fishing until we do. 90% of fishing is finding the fish. Almost anybody can set the hook once you are on top of them. I think 100 ft is about as close as you would want to be to another boat. If you can put your anchor in another boat, you are too close.

For comfortable fishing I would expect at least 100' if bobber fishing. I have had guys anchor and end up over my rope and then expect me to pull up so they can retrieve their lure. No way , break it off!!
I have been in crowds at Red Wing and Mille Lacs where you may be lucky to not bump boats if the other operator was a rookie and had no control. It sure takes the fun out of a day that you find fish and have others try to crowd you off the spot you have been working. Reality is that some people do not care but most will want their own space also.
Dino

All it is, is common sense!!! I think that 95% of all people r idiots!! If they had a little bit of common sense and curtesy, they would stay just far enough away! I was shore fishing on the ol' miss w/ a buddy and some guy decides to walk right under our rods, moves 2 our right catches a couple smallies,get caught in our lines and thinks it's kind of funny, so I said something under my breathe loud enough 4 him 2 hear and he left. I just can't believe that there r people like that out there with no respect of other people and their fishing spot!!!!!!!!!