• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GOING UP FRIDAY AFTERNOON

I will be staying on the south end fri. thru sun. This is only my second trip to Mille Lacs. Any tips would be great. Should I consontrate on mud or rock? The main reason I am going is to catch a trophy, and I think this is about the best place to do it.

I've been up there Monday and Wednesday of this week and is has been slloooow. I saw two fish caught on 7-Mile...a bit unusual.

We fished gravel and mud. Picked up a 26" on the gravel and a 26.5" on the mud.

Fish appear to be scattered. Nothing on top of the mud. Work the edge and don't be afraid to drift out to 37'.

Clear as mud???

If your looking for a trophy I would head to the mud and fish the edges and the deeper water around them.

rm has got the idea! On the break or more likely a few yards off the edge of the mud. Eyes up to 29.5 inches are a deffinate possibility. Good luck and if you don't get her that just gives you a reason to come back.

The bite remains good but you have to be in the right spot. I have been having good luck both on the mud and on the gravel. Don't be afraid to fish deep, especially around the mud. So far the tops haven't been producing much.

Trust your electronics! When I mark fish I have been able to get them to go. I am still using leeches and snells however, the spinner/crawler bite is picking up. Most of the spots I have found fish I have been alone. It is a big lake so don't be affraid to try other spots besides "the pack". This year 30-40 fish days have pretty much been the norm. Not as good as last year but the fish are very healthy this year.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I have read that red hooks have been the hot item, is that still the case? I also heard mention of using a bead ahead of the hook. Does that help?

Scott
What methods have you been using to get the fish to go. Last weekend we were not getting much of anything until I sized down to a small red hook and medium sized leech. Got a few right away after the switch then the front came in and pushed us off the lake. Went shallow for the evening and it was suprisingly slow with a good chop blowing into wahkon bay. The best day I have had this year has been around 12 fish We will be back up Friday night until Sunday evening.

A little tip for fishing the mud on Mille Lacs,the bottom has a few inches of silt on it so if you feel your weight dragging bottom you are most likely producing a cloud which is one reason I think long snells are used.If you ever dropped a camera down there and hit bottom you will know what I mean.If you see some stuff that looks like snot on your line or weight that is what it is.I like to run a heavier weight and keep it 6-12 inches off the bottom.

Headed up to the pond tonight till sat.I will have the radio on 69. good luck

If it was easy it would be called catching

As I mentioned earlier, the snell and leech bite had been good and the Spinner Crawler bite it really picking up. For the most part the fish are scattered out, with very few good concentrations. I have been focusing on the areas that the fish are grouping up. 8-10 ft snells have been the best.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Spent yesterday on the big pond. I was surprised at the low number of boats out fishing. Spent a lot of time on 7 mile. I would say the edge to just off the edge is still best. A few are starting to show on the top. Not a ton of action, but they are there.

Checked a few other spots with not much to speak of.