• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Benton Lake

Some friends took thirteen nice keepers not far from the open water south of the rock pile. Not enough ice there for my titantic shack. Guess I'll just have to keep catchin the small ones. tuk.

Hey Fowlguy, did you move yet? Or are you still where you were New Years Eve? Headin up tomorrow after work. tuk.

We have to kill that one. Looks like we get the same fish!!!

Took the house off tuesday due to weather. Hope to get it back on monday. laugh.gif

Tried it last night again and didn't even catch that 12incher. Some kids parked a shack about 10' from mine and made a lot of racket this didn't help any and perterbed me to say the least. tuk.

Going to move the house out today to the same old spot.They have to bite some time this winter cool.gif

Fowlguy,No I didn't, I felt sorry for it. It came into my possession by "holding onto" a 5" chub! Poor sucker couldn't even fit it in his mouth I had no choice but to admire his appetite and turn him loose. tuk.

Hi Tuk

That 12" fish must be a male as i got a 8" yesterday. Has to be the cold weather!!!!! grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tuk

Last night 1 perch, (1 crappie 2#} 6 keeper eyes grin.gif how did u do? Saw your truck when i left the lake.

tipup king or fowlguy just wonder where a good starting point wood be thinking about pulling the house up there for a weekend which park would be good to drive off or any tips thanks skinnylee

Best bet is to go on at the county park. There is a good landing there. Not many fish this week, sat from 11:30am to8:45pm yesterday & got 1 perch. frown.gif Good thing i had a good book with grin.gif

Jr, How do you expect to catch any fish if your house isn't out there? Just keep your van off also!

State Farm Man,

I wonder who you are? Where are the fish biting? Don't say the mouth either.

fishin4fun, looks like it wasn't the big pond where you guys went last weekend. Of course, its tough to catch fish when your locked onto the bottle bass cool.gif!!! Nice Crappies at Red Lake...should have went there. Hope to get the house out this weekend if there isn't too much water on top at LB. They have got to turn on eventually!

Heard a report of a pickup going through this weekend. Does anyone know about this?

State Farm guy,

Ya The big pond was full of bottle bass, no walleys or perch though. Maybe next year!

Heard the same thing but dont know for sure. Will find out today and let u know. Put the house out yesterday & the ice looks good. Got five eyes one was really big 12". All the rest were under that grin.gif State Farm Guy ,I did not drop the van in.

It's a car that went in & it's still there. Right off the point at the county park.Look's like it's all the way down ooo.gif

Ouch! Haven't had any phone calls this morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Glad you didn't do the same Fowlguy...Let me know when its worth it to go fishing again!!!!!

They got the car out yesterday. A body shop from Arlington SD. got it out. Looked like not a fun job. Sat from 11 am to 7:30pm & got two eyes, 10" each frown.gif We need some snow to bank the house with.Boy is it cold out there.

Fowlguy, brought the shanty home. That 12" eye we were catching had no lips left so I figured I might as well give up. See ya next year. OH yeah, how is it that shooting range coming over there? tuk

Where did the new car go in at? I'm sure that rain yesterday did some damage on the ice. It's time to start thinking about getting the boats ready.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.