• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Major Frustration

avrg.joe

I thought I would never say it, but after two weekends fishing Millacs, (aproximately 40 fish and one keeper) I am thinking about pulling out and taking my $$ somewhere else. I don't need to bring home a ton of fish but 2-3 for a fishing party of 3 don't seem out of line. It cost me $1,300 a year for summer & winter packages, plus about $200 a weekend. I go up at least 15 times a year, X $200 = $3,000 + $1,300 = Grand total of $4,300 a year. It is fun catching numbers of good size fish but a meal once in a while would be nice. It isn't adding up for me anymore. frown.gif Anyone else?????

You found fish obviously, just not slot fish.
I have caught slots everytime out except once. I have been on the lake everyweekend since opener. My best day was 13 slots (kept 4) on may 24th. The following day we fished 3 hrs in the same spot and 5 out of 6 where slot fish. If you find'em they will be there in numbers. It's been that way for me anyway.
Pass me your email, I will tell you where I have had slot luck. Last weekend was the only weekend I haven't been out so unless things have changed, they are there.

Hey Red Eye,

How can a guy get your e-mail address. I'd be really interested in finging some eaters as well.

I noticed on your profile that you are from St.Cloud, me too. I wonder if I know ya??

Red Eye, I'm almost in the same situation Avrg.Joe. Coming up from Des Moines,Ia for a week June 15th and would like to have a few for dinner too. I will be staying at Fishers by Malmo.

My email is [email protected]

Thank!

Joe

Is there a lake close by that has good number of eaters? Get some din din then go for the pigs. Just wondering. I get up there about 4 times a year.

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I understand people's frustration with the lake, and not catching eaters, but at the same time, I love to fish Mille Lacs. I have no problem going out and catching 10 fish all of which are 20" and bigger. If I want to catch some eyes for dinner, there are tons of other lakes around where I can catch some smaller fish. Now I'm not spending more than gas and bait money to go fish Mille Lacs, so that could have something to do with. When I pick Mille Lacs, I go hoping to catch the big fish and not caring about bringing home the bacon or in this case fish. But yes it would be nice to go out and get a nice mix of slotters and large ones.

Sorry guys, I don't feel too bad for you(actually I am jealous as hell). This has been a very busy summer so far and I have been in the boat for maybe 8 hrs since opening weekend. I would love to be upset about catching too many walleyes. I understand the frustration, but next time you are out catching a bunch on a nice sunny Saturday, just think of all of us who are working all day with no chance to wet a line, that should help your frustration.

I agree, it's a fantastic fishery for the sportsman who enjoys catching and releasing for sure. But if you move around and actually fish (make a sport out of it) you can catch a few for the dinner table as well.
I love the lake and the way it's being managed right now. (other than the gill nets)
Can't wait to hit'er again tomorrow.

Hey Wizkid relax,

Don't be too hard on the guy. As far as any other lake that is as good as Mille Lacs, how about Lake of the Woods? It's a better Walleye lake than Mille Lacs.

Ole

Going to another lake is what I was talking about, BUT.... I love fishing Millacs. My ice house is there. I'm not looking to take limits out of the lake, just 1 or 2 for a family fish fry, thats all... If you want to rip me for that, that is your right.

The guy asked for HELP as to a lake where he could catch a couple eaters. Nowhere did I see him putting down the Mille Lacs fishery.

Rather then chew him a new *** , perhaps consider doing what this board is for, and help a fellow angler out when they ask for some assistance.

Posts that rip and tear on people for expressing an opinion and asking a question should be BANNED. Sometimes we take things out of context and turn them into something they're not. Then everyone jumps bandwagons, cuz the orignal poster got his tire shot out. Please don't do this.

I'd give ya some advice on Walleye lakes Joe, but I don't target them all that often. smile.gif

Good luck and good fishing.

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 06-05-2003).]

It sure seemed more like complaining to me than asking for help on other lakes...

You want lesser known lakes with good populations to catch some fish...go try the Staples/Motley area west of brainerd.

Alexander, Shamineau and Fish Trap. Those are 3 quality lakes that dont get too much fishing pressure. They even make the Fishing Hot Spots Maps for Alexander and Fish Trap.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!! Name one other lake in the state where you can go catch the numbers of quality fish that you can in Mille Lacs? It is arguably the best walleye factory in the United States and you're crying because you cant catch a fish under 17"? Go the store and for $5.00 you can buy 12 Tilapia fillets. If you need a meal that bad...go get it at the store. You knew darn well before you came to the lake what the slot limit was. All you had to do was read the posts over the past couple years to know that you're chance at getting some slots were extremely low.

Name another lake in the state where you could have caught 50 fish the size that you did, or please stop complaining that you got to spend that much time in the best walleye lake in the Midwest

[This message has been edited by wizkid (edited 06-05-2003).]

Thank you Wizkid!! These ungrateful whining posts need to be banned!!

I tryed to hold back myself. I'm glad someone said exactly what I wanted to, thanks Wizkid! It just slays me how people fish 7-mile and can't understand why there aren't any 16" fish there (I don't know where avrg.joe fishes, just an example). I know Gull Lake in Nisswa has as many 15-17" fish as you can handle.

[This message has been edited by eye (edited 06-05-2003).]

You better read the original post again jigsticker.

Slots can be caught on Mille Lacs.....Period!

You just have to fish for them.

Good luck to all this weekend. Marble eye's should be getting to their summer haunts.

I'll try this again.

I am truely not trying to complain, just venting some frustration over two weekends and nothing in the pan. I can't catch a keeper to save my backside, it's almost comical. Well, it is comical.

I know there is more frustration out there, I hear it at the resort from a lot of people.

I don't care if I go up with my regular couple of buddies and don't get any keepers. We have a good time no matter what.

But when I have the wife and the two boys (who love to fish) they like to have a fish fry at the end of a day of fishing ( one would be fine).

I believe the lake can handle more fish being taken, I wish they still had the 1 over 20".

In the 15 yrs I've been going to the big pond I've never even thought of puting my fish house anywhere else. With as expensive as it has become and the 0 fish thing, it has crossed my mind. Probably won't happen, but crossed my mind.

PS
I' fished rocks, 6'-18'.
North sand, 8'-30'.
From northest to southeast.
And yes, I did spend 2 hrs on my favorite flat but the fish were even bigger, went back to the rocks.

I think your best chances for slots on the lake are on the 9-12 foot rock/gravel reefs on the south side. Izaty's, Banana, Tundra, etc..

I can think of 3 lake right away that are
EVERY bit is good as Mille Lacs. Ole #1 I agree with you if I had my choice of a lake to fish every day it would be Lake of the Woods. What about Winnie? How about Lake Vermillion. Big Stone isn't all bad either.

When Mr. Walleye, Gary Roach, pre-fishes for 3 days without catching a slot I tend to agree with him that maybe the DNR "do nothing right" needs to re-evaluate its thinking.

thank you. I read the post again upon your request. I just don't see what you see, but then again, you don't see what I see.

Such as life. smile.gif

Good fishing!

i have caught about a dozen slots on mille lacs this year, i don't drive 1 1/2 hours for a meal, i drive for the pigs. if you can't catch slot fish try another lake. for me my money is well spent tossing back giant eyes all day.

If you like to harvest Walleyes, let's not forget Winni.

Mille Lacs is a world class big fish lake. Last Sunday we caught and released a SMB over 5lbs, a 29" walleye, and saw a 50" or so musky in the same day--ML is PHENOMENAL

BTW, we did manage to catch 5 slots out on the mud in two days, so they are there too.

AVG JOE i agree with what you are saying and i do agree the 1 fish over 20 inch could still be in place and not hurt a thing.this so called world class big fish thing wont last so forever either so enjoy now i guess and we will see down the line if the dnr is doing what is right for the lake long term.also this catch and release deal is getting a bit frustrating when a guy has to make a apology for taking a few fish to eat once and awhile, its just a tool not the end all.i really wish somebody had some hard and fast delayed mortality numbers. i believe its higher than most people care to believe. ya i know if you take some home they die for sure. just my opinion and i will proably get blasted.ps this is the same lake that was also called the dead sea at one time and proably will be again in the future.

Last year everyone complained about the slot limit and how narrow it was. so they opened it up a little this year. Now people are complaining about keeping 1 over 20. If they made it 1 over 20 then next year people would complain about it not being enough. if ya want fish to eat there are many other lakes out there. if you want a lake to go and catch ALOT of BIG fish and middle of the day action then go to mille lacs.

You guys are all right. It is frustrating not being able to keep a meal! I don't get to go all that often. I've only been up once this year, and that is including ice season! Life, what do you do? You are also right that the lake is at a eunique(?) place as far as the average size goes. I've been fishing there since 1963 and I've never seen size like this. in the early 70's I remember a 5lber. Being a big deal at the "New" lakeside resort. Now it's just a nice fish! But it would be nice when I take my son, daughter, and a friend, and catch a dozen or more walleyes, to be able to keep enough for a fish fry. I don't have the time or $ to even go to Winnie and walleyes south of Mille Lacs are hit and miss when you have a schedule like mine. Thank God for sunniies and crappies, and yes even a Bass or 2.

Personally i drive 3 hours to Mille Lacs to fish it and i drive the 3 hours because you cant go anywhere else and catch the quality fish thats available consistently there. I can keep 16" walleyes to eat on Lake Pepin or any of the lakes around Mankato that i fish. But when i want to chase pigs around its Mille Lacs hands down. I also like Winnie, go up every year the end of July, but as far as that time of year goes it doenst compare to Mille Lacs. Other times of year, spring and fall, Winnie is usually pretty awesome for me.

Personally, i believe a guy should be able to take your 15 -17" , plus 1- over 18" and another 19" and over!

AVERAGE.JOE
I KNOW LAKEOF THE WOODS IS A DRIVE, BUT
HOW ABOUT A LIMIT TO TAKE HOME AND CATCH PIGS ON THE SAME TRIP. THIS IS THE ORIGINAL
WALLEYE CAPITOL OF THE WORLD. CHECK OUT MOST OF THE PICTURES OF 30 INCHERS IN THE OUTDOOR NEWS WEEKLY PAPER THE MAJORITY ARE FROM LOTW.