• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Poutmaster

What is the matter with my LX3?

Question

Poutmaster

I bought a new marcum LX3 after a lot of positive feedback from this site. I was expecting it to be "powerful" but I have to turn the gain way up to see anything. A ratfinkee and minnow in 24 feet of water needed the gain turned all the way up to barley get a reading. Then I tried a buckshot rattler in 10 feet of water and still had to turn it way up to a 8 just to get a decent mark. Any advice on what is wrong? Bad transducer, bad unit? What are your experiences with gain settings on these units. I rarley had to turn my vex higher than a 4 or 5!!

9 answers to this question

knoppers

it may be the bottom content, mucky bottom does not get much of a signal. I fished for lakers in canada, in over 100 feet of water, and pick everything up very clear, with little gain used. in local lakes I have had no problems, it could be the unit you have. contact marcum, they have a great customer service.

Northlander

Wipe off your ducer to make sure there isnt a film built up on it. You shouldnt have to use much gain because of the increase in power. I was on a local lake in 29' of water fishing Perch with a Shrimpo and only had my gain on about 4. A buckshot in 10' shouldnt call for much more than 1.

If its not a dirty ducer or bad connection get a hold of Marcum. Also charge the battery over night and see if that helps. Maybe a bad battery?

Deitz Dittrich

My first guess would be low battery.. second would be non-level tranceducer...

Dan Wood

That doesn't sound right. One thing that I'd make sure of is that your bait is straight down in your hole when your expecting to see a strong signal. If your minnow is swimming off to the outside edge of the cone signal, you will get a weaker signal. Or if your spoon flutters out away from the center of the cone. A buckshot type bait or full minnow should be detected with very minimal gain when near the center of the cone.

mnrstrider

Something isn't right, I could pick up my bobber knot in 15 fow the otherday with my gain somewhere around 6. I didn't even think I could pick up my slipbobber knot...

Rick

I was fishing on Lake of the WQoods and had the same issue. I believe the problem was current moving my bait out of the cone angle.

If that or one of the above is not the issue then you should contact MarCum and make sure you don't have a transducer issue.

viking_fan

Do you guys really need to turn the gain that far up on a Marcum?

I never turn my Vex past two!!

[Note from admin: No the MarCum doesn't have to be turned up that far and the Vex certainly will need to be turned past 2 at times if you use small jigs in deep water.]

CNY Tim

Depends on how small a horizontal jig profile or vertical jig profile your fishing with. Last time I fished I was using an 1/80 oz. jig fishing in 34' of water and I was a tick over 2.

What I like about the LX-3 over my FL-18 and FL-8 is you have no more screen clutter which helps you especially when it comes to presentation. The zoom feature allows you to be surgically precise because of the elimination of screen clutter that I found with the Vexilar products.

It's definitely helped me to fine tune my jigging presentations.

Dingo

You have a bad transducer or transducer connection. You should never need to turn your gain that high under 60ft of water not matter what flasher you are using. Borrow a good transducer from a friend and rule that out first.