• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Long Lake (New Brighton)

Has anybody fished this lake yet this ice season? I thought about hitting it today but decided on Crooked Lake instead. Shame on me.

Sean, MNWild, Crappieman... if any of you are heading out any of the upcoming Sunday's, drop me a line. I'd love to join ya!

[email protected]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lost

• PikeMan Seank

• Iceman12

• mnwild

Lost,

I might be going out there this coming Friday 12-31, we have it off from work. I was down there Saturday checking things out and there are a few houses out there a ways by the beach. I still have to all my ice fishing gear ready and buy my fish house license. I will let you know for sure by mid week.

Did you have any luck on Crooked?? I drove by there yesterday and the parking lot was full.

Feel free to email me at work to let me know when you will be able to make it out,

[email protected], I work from 7-4pn M-F.

talk soon.

Heading out to Long today, throw some tip ups out then try for some eyes around dark, I'll post results.

I'm thinking about putting a house out on Long this year - any tips on what part of the lake is best? Also, has anyone had any problems with break-ins/vandalism in the past?

I know of a couple car break-ins during the summer but no clue about during the winter months. Why bother with locking it up? Just empty the thing and leave the door unlocked. Less chance of it being destroyed.

Not sure if I'll be heading that way this Friday or not. Waiting to hear from Jim at Gander. He might be at his lake cabin out by Zimmerman... might join him.

But I wanna hit Long Lake. I haven't been out there since October. I miss you guys!

I've been out twice and basically got skunked. Talked to a few people on the ice, and they had similar results. A lot of people fish for panfish just north of the park beach on the east side of the lake. I tried the south end last night, out from the dock, from 6-8 and came up empty. Good luck, post your results if you have any luck.

Bob

Thanks Capn Bob.

I won't be making it out Friday like I was hoping. Too sick to consider heading out. And between the warmth, the rain, and the creeks, do I want to tempt fate anyway?

How thick is/was the ice out there?

hey lost

i was out on long last sunday and dint get a thing me and a friend had a few small lite hits but thats it. i been fishing lake sarah and waconia lately with another buddy of mine and we been hammering the bluegill and crappies out there. i was at silver lake also right when i got there a guy just threw back a 10 pound pike and caught 3 walleye over 3 pounds. people say that lake is no good, but i been fishing it for about 3 to 4 years now and there are big pike over 10 pounds and walleye over 3 pounds and big bass i guess people just over look that lake.

p.s are you doing any ice series this year?

im thinking of hitting a few this year most likely minnetonka and medicine..

Hey Sean, you talkin' Silver Lake in NB? Let's get going!

How far out have you been on Long Lake?

I am curious to if he's talkign about Silver in NB. I use to fish that lake all the time when I was a kid and we would catch Carp and a few pan fish, never knew there where bigger fish in that lake.

Talking about Long, I drove past there over the weekend and there were about 10 houses over by the beach, any idea if they are catching anything??

I was out there Sunday from the 2:30-5 in front of the beach at 18 feet. A lot of lookers, but no takers. I am no sure what the big group did.

Ken

I was out on Sunday, third time on Long this winter and finally tied into some fish. I caught three walleyes and a handful of crappies. All came within three feet of the bottom, biting fairly light.

Hey Sean, (or anyone else who has ideas)

I just finished building an 8x8 permanent house and am contemplating which lake to put it on. Right now I'm thinking either Silver, Long, or Johanna. I know you fish the metro area quite a bit, which would you recommend? I'm mainly trying for walleyes, northerns, & crappies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

[email protected]

What I'm wondering right now is how thin the water is where the small creek comes in by the boat launch. Is it thick enough to set up camp on the edge of current?

Lost,

Last week there was a hole of open water just to the creek side of the fishing dock. I've fished a little ways out from the dock (by where the bouy was) but didn't have much luck. From what I can tell your best luck is going to come on the breaks on the east or even west side of the main basin.

Bob

Just out of curiosity,who was the guy that drove his little ford festiva out on the ice and right up to my portable ? I'm just wondering if it might have been anyone on here.The date was 12/26/04.

Went out monday evening in front of the beach in 20' of water. 4 crappies, two 10", one 11", and one 12". Lost a few. Biting really light and staying close to the bottom. I might try Silver (again) in the near future. Tried it 2 years ago and caught nothing.

Has there really been anyone driving out there yet? I was out Saturday on the south end for a bit (didn't even get a bite) and the only cars/trucks I saw on the ice were on the edge by the beach. I'm looking to put up my permanent this weekend - is it a good idea to drive the truck & trailer out there?

The ice on the lake should be pretty solid by now. I drove out there last night and there were a few full size trucks out by the beach. I would make it out there this weekend but I am waiting to receive 4 tickets to the Packer-Vikes game this weekend at work today.

mnwild, let me know if you're going to the game or not. I might join ya on Sunday if you're not.

I did recieve the tickets to the game never made it fishing.

I was thinking about this weekend but the temps are suppose to be in the -neg didgets, we will see. I will let you know if I do make it out this weekend.

Have not fished in ten years or more , used to be good sized Crappie and Walleye . I plan on going is there a certain time they like to bite? Thanks

HDPro, not sure about best bite times right now. Wish I did.

MNWild, do you usually head out on weekends only or do you mind fishing after dark? There should be a bit of a warmup after this major cold snap. I'm thinking that a trip out there after work sometime this coming week would be something I need to do.

I usually fish on the weekends. The weekdays get kinda tough for me. I am usually up at 5am, I work till 4pm and am just beat by 6pm. But if there is a day next week you want to meet out there let me know and I will. I could be there by 4:30 fish till 9?? Let me know

Hey Joe, I'd be interested in hitting Long Lake with you anytime soon. I've fished Long 4 times in the past week and a half with some limited success. There are definetly some decent crappies being caught there. Just let me know when you plan on going out there...

Manny

Hey Manny how is it going and how are you doing at long for ice fishing so far? I been there twice and got skunked.

Hey Sean! I've been getting a few crappies here and there and checking in with other folks out there, they've been doing about the same. Most consistent action seems to be in the 15'-20' depths near the beach at dusk. It seems as though folks out there are averaging 3-4 crappies an outing with an occasional angler reporting getting their limit. All the crappies I've seen have been 9" or better. My personal best so far this season was a 12 incher on 01-03-05. I'm going to wait this cold snap out and see what happens when it starts warming up a little. Maybe we can round up some other Long Lake regulars and give it a group effort sometime in the near future. Also, still wanting to hit Silver again, too close to home not to give it a try...

Manny